Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails!
View Single Post
  #70 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
Rip VW Rip VW is offline
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Washington
Age: 65
Posts: 837
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,063
Thanked 907 Times in 511 Posts
December 2015 Roundup pg5

Pg5

I will be using Vega cross steering so the steering arms were cut from the 37 spindles and I am using Bolt on cross steer arms. I did find the arms were a bit low and interfered with the lower 4 link tube at sharp turns left and right. I pulled the arms off, heated them, and bent tem about 1 inch up. That fixed the clearance issue.

E1

This is the contact point of interference I am finding at full left and right turns. It will require a little heating and bending upward on both left and right steering arms.



Front shock mounts were simple I had a set of Pete N Jakes later model I think 48 ford shock mounts. They were way too long for my use so I cut the tops of the mounts off and shaped them to fit my frame. The brackets were bland so I drilled a few “Lightening” holes to dress them up some.

E2

The final version of my shock mounts out front. They are ready to tack also.





The front wheel hub / disk assembly initially caused some issues. I had what was supposed to be two Volare disk rotors and was attempting to match up some wheel bearings but things weren’t matching up like they should. After some investigating I found I had a set of Ford Ranger Disks. That changed things so I tossed out the old rotors. I still wanted to go with Volare rotors but then started looking at Granada rotors. It was a confusing world All of these different rotors and bearing combos was clouding the issues so I called Speedway Motors and talked with one of their brake techs. As I had already purchased my caliper brackets and Calipers and axle bearing spacer the Speedway tech recommended I use a Chevrolet Rotor that is used with metric brakes. I did not want to change bolt pattern I wanted a Ford pattern. The tech said they have Cheby Rotors with a Ford pattern. They have been drilled with a Ford 5 X 4 ˝” pattern and had ˝” studs installed. He had the rotors, bearings, and Seals I would need and for the set. they were only $125.00 and I got free shipping. That was better than the local stores. I ordered the rotors and as soon as they showed up slipped them on and got ready to fit the tires on the chassis and remove it from it from the frame rack.


The tires are Rear 285 75 15 and 205 75 14 on the front. They are mounted on a set of Weld 30 spoke wire wheels.
So the chassis is setting on wheels and now I shift the work a bit. Next task is to remove the engine and transmission from the ford donor I have, and get the engine and trans mocked up in the chassis. After the engine is mocked up the major focus will be back on the body sub rails and some serious de rusting of parts. Things may be a bit slow over the next few winter months as heating the shop cost me a small fortune and when it gets much below 40 degrees F I measure fuel consumption of my furnace in the shop to need about 20 barrels of oil a day to heat things up.

E3

So at this point I think I have a roller.. It has been an interesting project so far.

E4

The rear tires “BIG’s” look pretty good setting at ride height.



E5


We can’t forget “The Little's” up front.
I hope everyone had a great holiday and I wish all of you well in the New Year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	264874   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	264882   Click image for larger version

Name:	E3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	264890   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	264898   Click image for larger version

Name:	E5.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	264906  

Reply With Quote