Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails! - Page 15 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,224 Times in 3,079 Posts
Man, the ancient cars are like story tellers but without words. Just as perplexing as looking at earth today and trying to figure out just what went on here before us. Good sleuthing, Rip.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (08-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

John,

As much as I would like to say "What a pain in the A??, I really can't complain because I love mystery and making something look like new again. I was really not happy that I had to do this, but once I dove in it became easier and fun watching the damage go away..
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
John long (08-27-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:05 AM

End of Summer summary!

I left off working on straightening the door and getting the hinge right. I got it squared up but it was a bugger!! Of course the last time I posted I believe we were still having warm weather and I was trying to get the door prepped for a coat of SPI. Well every time I would be close to having everything done I found another part that needed to be fixed or shaped or welded you know the SLD's (S#1tty Little Details) of a job or project.

So I drag on to long and I realized my paint window was rapidly approaching shutdown temperature. I finally found a window earlier this week where the daily temp reached 67 deg. I fired up the shop furnace first thing then mixed the paint that I had from inside the house. I let it induce for about 3 hours and the shop was a toasty 72 deg the parts were 68 to 69 degrees. I had 2 temporary stands to set parts on. I would get ready throw open the shop door, Shoot a coat of SPI, drag the racks back inside. close the doors and wait my 30 minutes recoat time, replacing any heat lost in painting. Then it was open the doors and do it all again. Took most of the afternoon to do this.

Of course this was not without a lot of other challenges, My $9.99 purple horrible fright paint gun went Gunny Bag just after this process started. The damn cup started leaking and running down over my hand dribbling all over me, my chair, the floor, and my parts. I slowed the lid leak some then it seamed to starting leaking everywhere. It was also sputtering and globbing. I managed to cover everything I wanted to cover inside the door and select areas on the outside.

In the struggles the main focus was to prime the doors internals, The inside of the new door skins, my hinges and some door handle parts.. I was fortunate I covered everything that was there with out any mega flaws. This is just to seal up the inside of the door before attaching the skin to it.

I did a reality check on the door just to make sure it still fits in the hole in the main body. I couldn't, hold it and snap a pic so that is why it looks low.

Next step will be to weld the skin at the top and bend the skin to crimp it to the door flange. I am ready to re install the door side of the hinges also and before final clamp and a plug weld or so we will make and final adjustments then weld er up and be done on that part. That is the optimistic side..

I tossed in some pictures to look at..

Oh,BTW: The pretty purple paint gun painted it's way past it's prime and is now officially "Retired" darn I hear that word a lot lately..

I bit the bullet and ordered me a iwata LPH400 144LV, gun with the 700ml metal cup. I am anxious to get it but each bit of this package came from a different vendor and shipping arrivals will be strung out.

Thats it Thats a wrap. Thats plenty. Till next I am here and headed there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorBefore1.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	435575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doorfit2.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	435577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doorfit3.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	435579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinges1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	435581  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-22-2018), John long (09-22-2018)

Old 09-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,007 Times in 4,108 Posts
It is great to see what you have accomplished Rip. I think you will love the gun too.

I loved living in Washington but I don't envy you the short summers one bit.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement John. Sometimes progress seems very eluding and when someone else notices I feel better and dive into the next step.

Speaking of which I am now getting ready to skin both doors. Everything still fits so maybe soon I will rehang the doors and see how they look..

Hey heard about the truck disaster... Oh I would be just a bit annoyed at the oil change place. Hey tell them you won't sue if it is free oil changes for life. ha ha ha.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement John. Sometimes progress seems very eluding and when someone else notices I feel better and dive into the next step.

Speaking of which I am now getting ready to skin both doors. Everything still fits so maybe soon I will rehang the doors and see how they look..

Hey heard about the truck disaster... Oh I would be just a bit annoyed at the oil change place. Hey tell them you won't sue if it is free oil changes for life. ha ha ha.
LOL, I felt sorrier for the oil change guy than me. I am sure his manager gave him an ear full. To his credit, he came to me personally and admitted it was his fault and he was the one that screwed up. They will make it right. That is the important thing.

I have been in his shoes.

When I was a young man in the Navy I was working off base at a full service gas station. I checked a lady's oil one day and put the filler cap on the air cleaner. I forgot to put it back on and closed the hood putting a big reverse dent right in the middle of the hood.

The owner of the station got to repair and paint the ladies hood for her. He was kind to me and allowed me to save what little dignity I had left. I would hope for the same for this young man.

John
Rip VW (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Grand Prix User

Door shell progress envy here.

That primer makes everything look like brand new money.

Way I look at the purple gun is this: Somebody walks up, tells you somthing you don't want to hear...its an item you can pick up and throw at them which they would not expect.

New gun envy here too. Mainly of the part where you get to be that gun's only man.

When I was doing lots of poly priming, boss scored a new Iwata with 2.0 nozzle. I got to treat it like mine but not for very long and man... watching a gun you love go downhill just sucks. Why on earth does anyone think the fluid tip and needle can be left in place for cleaning after use? Never mind answering that, just count your blessings. I bet it sure is good to be past that trunk lid. I believe you may just persevere. Hate that you went through that purple pistol drama, mine was a shoe ruiner too. Some folks have all the luck dadburn it.
Rip VW (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM

IDJ

On a Positive note, I no longer need to shine up my shop shoes. and I do have a few globs on the front of my wheelchair but it is my shop "Rat Chair" so it's ok. Were gonna give barry's best a real road test.

Tonite I hung the skin on the pass door and used a couple of clecos up at the top to hold the contour of the panel and then I can burn in some spots to hold everything straight. so far so good!! Oh BTW, Have ya grown to appreciate this 80 90 100 year old stuff yet?

Close enough is what I have seen when working on the T . You use a set of prints to get a visualization of the part but a lot of time you just average out the dimensions till it "Looks good and then move on. I don't think many parts were smack on as in what I have actually measured comes close but that is it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:26 PM
Grand Prix User

Quote:
IDJ

Have ya grown to appreciate this 80 90 100 year old stuff yet?
I can't spell the utterance I made reading this line, it was neither word nor lol. LOL

You said a mouthful there, friend.

Sheetmetal arrival has, I strongly believe, turned the tide of my project. Never been one to say no I can't do... anything, on the job. But sometimes maybe I should. No just doesn't compute for this guy or maybe you too. So it doesn't always occur to me that no is an option.

The thing about early Ford bodies that throws me for a loop is the where to begin conundrum. In order to begin a typical rust job on an A or T... Its almost as if in order to establish a foundation to build from, that bending round tubing to fit each side's character lines and tacking it there with the body still fully assembled would be that.

While we're flappin keyboards about it, I for one (probably the only) believe that symmetry is achievable. Perhaps not advisable from a practicality standpoint but nevertheless doable despite the but why factor. However, despite admitted traction (and sense) loss fitting doors in my case... I hope you and our buds here have seen my efforts this week to embrace the eyeball way fully. There wasn't enough to eyeball until metal came in. Just acknowledging what you've said here. But don't think I would or could ever abandon my cherished dimension fetish, its a positive that just hasn't walked this path before. I got used to fixing a mix of vehicles where no two may ever be the same design so I can adapt, its just that these things have nothing to even set the body down on when you start. Even worse, my job had already been to a rodeo or two.

Keep up the nice work. Your insights make the thread a hoot as well.
Rip VW (09-23-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 PM

It's Here.........

I am setting back after putting in some hours on the T today and imagine my surprise when I heard a knock on the door. It was my local postman. He tells me he has some packages I need to sign for. I signed the machine and took my goods inside and checked things out. Package 1 when exposed turned out to be my new IWATA LPH400. It came delicately wrapped in bubble wrap. I quickly examined the gun and found it flawless.. No nicks, scratches or any blemishes.

Package 2 contained the aluminum 700 ml cup.

This thing came direct from Japan and had like 4 pages of customs papers just for the shipping. I have been checking it out and looking it over and I can't wait to shoot some paint from a good gun.

This is a beautiful work of art. Polished and precise. It has a great balance. Maybe I will finish the skin on the door and give them a final coat of Epoxy before winter sets in..

Woooooo Whooooooooooo I am gonna paint the town SPI Black pardners..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GunandCup1.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	435795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cup2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	435797   Click image for larger version

Name:	assembled3.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	435799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun4.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	435801  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-27-2018), John long (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
It's Here.........

I am setting back after putting in some hours on the T today and imagine my surprise when I heard a knock on the door. It was my local postman. He tells me he has some packages I need to sign for. I signed the machine and took my goods inside and checked things out. Package 1 when exposed turned out to be my new IWATA LPH400. It came delicately wrapped in bubble wrap. I quickly examined the gun and found it flawless.. No nicks, scratches or any blemishes.

Package 2 contained the aluminum 700 ml cup.

This thing came direct from Japan and had like 4 pages of customs papers just for the shipping. I have been checking it out and looking it over and I can't wait to shoot some paint from a good gun.

This is a beautiful work of art. Polished and precise. It has a great balance. Maybe I will finish the skin on the door and give them a final coat of Epoxy before winter sets in..

Woooooo Whooooooooooo I am gonna paint the town SPI Black pardners..
I hope you like yours as well as I do mine Rip. Be warned, it will put out a lot more paint than the cheapie guns you are used to. My first time with my new LPH400 generated some pretty good runs.

It was not the guns fault. I just had a bit of a learning curve at first.

John
Rip VW (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the words of caution John. The HF gun on its last leg would not stop the flow of paint even when I let go of the trigger. I looked and the nozzle and seen paint literally running out of it with the trigger released. I tried resetting the needle but no improvement. That shocked me a bunch.. I should be able to adjust a good fan with this HF gun but it was just a piece of crap. The HF gun wouldn't adjust worth a crap and then just spewed and spit all over.

As soon as I can finish the skins on both doors if the weather holds I will use the new Iwata gun to finish the epoxy on them...

Next task will be to cut down the lower portions of the front cowl so they match the upward angle of the frame so the body will sit flat on the frame...

Slow forward progress but at least it is forward...
Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 PM

What has happened to RVW, is he OK???
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 AM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
What has happened to RVW, is he OK???
I saw a post from Rip a few days ago on the mounting headers thread but he is having back issues and not much is getting done on the T right now.

Hopefully he will give us an update soon.

John
Old 11-08-2018, 02:49 AM

I sent him a PM about 5 days ago and heard nothing which concerned me.
Thanks for filling in the gaps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in