Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails! - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Hello Russ and everyone else.

Yeah I have been away from the T for a while now. I am thinking I might be able to get back to work on it in early December.

I have had a life long debilitating bone disease that literialy causes bone deterioration in all my joints. This over the years has caused both hips my left knee and a shoulder to have to be replaced. This helped me keep going over the years, however the deterioration continues and causes frequent replacements. I had to start using a wheelchair in 2004 because of this disease.

Up until the last 9 months of so I was able to stand for a short time and walk a few feet at a time this allowed me to do just about anything in the shop as long as I had my chair or something to set on.

A little while back I was working in the shop and went to stand and promptly went face down on the floor with no feeling from the waist down.

My doctor found a collapsed vertebrae in my lower back that fractured and put pressure on the cord causing the loss of feeling. I had a small procedure to remove the bone fragment and have been in Physical therapy since.

My prognosis is good for a useable recovery if I don't bend, twist,lift or walk. The pressure on the spinal cord has been released and I am slowly getting feeling back in my lower extremities and doc says we will soon start transitioning to be able to stand again and maybe even walk more than a few steps.

I am cautiously optimistic that I will get back to work in December. and should be able to get back to it.. meanwhile I am slowly going stir crazy with 200 TV channels and not a damn thing worth watching.

There is a hot rod delay in the future as we are actively looking for that retirement place and we have set a deadline to be out of this house and into wherever we land by June 31 2019. One of the requirements of the new home will to have a garage at least 2 cars worth of room. My real estate agent asked what size of garage and I told her that minimum a 2 car all the way up to the size of a small shopping mall.

I can tell you I will never stop on the T till it is done.

Hang in there Audience and I will be back at it soon.

The best to everyone...

Rip V W

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-08-2018), fiftyv8 (11-25-2018), Gearhead Poppa (11-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Hey RVW, thanks for the update and sorry to know more about your condition, but thanks for being brave enough to share.

I/we all hope that you can be back into shape real soon and getting back to doing what really brings you joy and satisfaction as I too know.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Russ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fiftyv8 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-08-2018), Rip VW (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,860 Times in 4,072 Posts
Thanks for the update Rip and may God bless you as you recover.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (11-08-2018)

Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john long View Post
thanks for the update rip and may god bless you as you recover.

John

x2 rip......
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:08 PM

X 3 from me.
The Following User Says Thank You to fiftyv8 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (11-08-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:24 PM

Last week I eluded to an announcement coming soon. Well I am here to let everyone know (whoever is interested) that the announcement time is here.

Effective immediately all work mechanical or otherwise on my T project will officially be on Hold for the next 6 to seven months. This is a temporary pause and should resume when My new home is finished.

As most know I have been shopping for a home for over a year and a half and found Nothing in my price range but junk! We put an offer on 2 houses and both times be were overbid by people with no sense and to much money. House looking has become a nightmare up here.

I was talking with my brother last spring and he had suggested I buy some land and build on it. I didn't think much more about it until I got overbid on the last house.

So to shorten the story we searched and searched and stumbled upon some property over near the coast near the town of Aberdeen. The lot is hi and dry and has a beautiful view of aberdeen bay! The price was right so we jumped in with both feet. we are having a modest 1500 sq foot house built and I get a new shop. We are downsizing from 1980 sq ft home to 1500 and of course I agreed we both had to so my new shop will be 1080 sq ft. 36' X 30' Ahh but it will have a 12 foot ceiling so my lift can finally come inside.

Time line is fluid right now. I need to get my current place listed and sold before we can proceed! I have been busy fixing all the little things so I can list as soon as possible. I really want to be sold by the end of January so construction can begin in February. and that will be the time constant I will work for. Hopefully by early summer I will be able to resume work on the TCoupe. I at least will finish off this coupe in my new shop but till then I have to put all my parts and tools in storage

at worse case 6 or 7 months and I am back on it.. Meanwhile YAHOOOOOOOOO finally getting away from the big city..:t humbup: Bye Bye Seattle!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-24-2018), cozwurth (11-24-2018), fiftyv8 (11-25-2018), Gearhead Poppa (11-25-2018), idrivejunk (11-24-2018), John long (11-26-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the update RVW.
Are we talking Aberdeen Scotland where you are moving too????

I am not familiar with the geography you speak of.
Rip VW (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:59 PM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,848 Posts
Is it the place with some sort of military installation? I believe Grandpa trained there and liked the area.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 07:14 PM

You know Russ, that might be a good alternative. I hear Scotland is a Beautiful country and the weather there is not a lot unlike here in the soggy northwest USA.
Russ I currently live slightly south of Seattle Worshington USA northwest area. I am moving to literally the western shore of Worshington about 150 Mi SE of Seattle. There is a Town on a bay inlet called Aberdeen Worshington! We are moving there. Where going to live in the heart of our earthquake, Tsunami zone! What the heck I won't live forever and a possible threat of a Tsunami is respected but I won't let that stop me from enjoying life.. I am looking forward to this new adventure!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (11-24-2018), fiftyv8 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 07:22 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Good to know you found a place and Aberdeen is a nice retirement place and I know it well. Hope you will consider a Modular home as those are real nice these days and you don't need to be house poor as that interferes with hot rod parts.

Anyway happy house hunting...

Sam
Old 11-24-2018, 08:40 PM

Thanks RVW, now I am up to speed with my geography.
I got good friends located on Whidbey Island, Snohomish and kin down in Portland east OR.
I am in this area regularly every couple of years.

I know where you are now as I got my flathead Cadillac engine from Olympia WA not far from where you intend to settle.

Great news for you and I hope the transition is smooth, simple and event free.
Don't worry about all though natural threats, as my Dr tells me we all die of something and sometimes it best that you don't know what that something could be...

I spent a little time further down south in Gig Harbour and would love to reside there or possibly on Vancouver Island in Canada.
It wont happen now too late in life and too much stuff to move.
Rip VW (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Last week I eluded to an announcement coming soon. Well I am here to let everyone know (whoever is interested) that the announcement time is here.

Effective immediately all work mechanical or otherwise on my T project will officially be on Hold for the next 6 to seven months. This is a temporary pause and should resume when My new home is finished.

As most know I have been shopping for a home for over a year and a half and found Nothing in my price range but junk! We put an offer on 2 houses and both times be were overbid by people with no sense and to much money. House looking has become a nightmare up here.

I was talking with my brother last spring and he had suggested I buy some land and build on it. I didn't think much more about it until I got overbid on the last house.

So to shorten the story we searched and searched and stumbled upon some property over near the coast near the town of Aberdeen. The lot is hi and dry and has a beautiful view of aberdeen bay! The price was right so we jumped in with both feet. we are having a modest 1500 sq foot house built and I get a new shop. We are downsizing from 1980 sq ft home to 1500 and of course I agreed we both had to so my new shop will be 1080 sq ft. 36' X 30' Ahh but it will have a 12 foot ceiling so my lift can finally come inside.

Time line is fluid right now. I need to get my current place listed and sold before we can proceed! I have been busy fixing all the little things so I can list as soon as possible. I really want to be sold by the end of January so construction can begin in February. and that will be the time constant I will work for. Hopefully by early summer I will be able to resume work on the TCoupe. I at least will finish off this coupe in my new shop but till then I have to put all my parts and tools in storage

at worse case 6 or 7 months and I am back on it.. Meanwhile YAHOOOOOOOOO finally getting away from the big city..:t humbup: Bye Bye Seattle!!!

Ha.......you silly, silly, man you.....you make plans and everyone else laughs, I just went through the building process. Gawd, red tape, building permits, etc.....contractors, they all take forever.

Anyhow, you've got a great plan. Hope you can meet your deadlines...if not, I have patience for your updates on this thread and will be faithfully waiting. Good luck with it.
Rip VW (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Purists Hate Me

I just checked and I'm a paltry 39 hours away. So if you need me to zip over to help you toss on a hood or something, let me know.
Rip VW (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

earthquate zone building.

Beef up the new house. In the early 70's I did a major remodel in Saratoga Calif went from 1300 sq ft and 1 car garage to 36oo sq ft and 4 1/2 car garage. The building inspector was on the Federal team that reviewed the Alaska earthquake building failures. The inspector mentored me. a lot of things we did MORE than what code required. Another engineer I worked with built his new home in the Sant Cruz mountains. He did a lot more upgrades than I did , more than code required. His house was 1/4 mile from the big crack in the 89 earthquake His house only had sheetrock scratches from where the grandmother clock lagged to the wall swung 45* left then right. 3 of his neighbors who built code minimum houses at the same time had their housed bulldozed down. My Saratoga house had a few sheet rock cracks, but no structural damage.

Last edited by timothale; 11-25-2018 at 08:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Is it the place with some sort of military installation? I believe Grandpa trained there and liked the area.
Wrong coast, my bad. I always get that confused.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in