Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails! - Page 18 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,712 Times in 4,311 Posts
Yep, I know the feeling of everything you are going through with the house, I can't believe how easy it's been just taking one step at a time. And plans changing, I can't believe how easy this has been. I am selling things and throwing away things I never thought I would. I am thinning out my stuff sooooo much easier than I ever thought it would.

Just take it one day at a time.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (12-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Well, here it is February and Not a huge amount of anything has happened. The home project drags painfully on. I think I have run into the worlds collection of weird and unforeseen problems. Nothing has moved in the shop TCoupe wise. I have just finished a ton of woodwork and repair of deferred maintenance around the house. Had to have my Septic tank inspected and that was a major criminal conspiracy between the County and the Certificated inspectors I popped out 1100 beans just for the inspection, Oh and I had to dig up the lid so he could lift it and say looks fine..

My back really acted up during the first of January But I was able keep pushing and only had a short down time. I had to put new trim around the whole base of the house because the original cardboard was falling apart. Had to do three sheets of the siding also from where the ol hot tub deck was. I got my brother to do that.

I have a few things to tend to inside and I think they won't be a big deal. When I worked outside on the trim I was able to just set in my wheel chair and work at lap height and it was pretty easy. I would back up and turn around and my Miter Saw was right there on a custom lowered table I built. I needed a board so the wife would pick up a board and set it on the saw ,I measured and marked and cut. Then she helped hold while I shot the nails. Worked pretty good!

The new house, shop, property improvements are crawling. One reason is we wanted to get this house listed at the first of the year. That didn't happen. I busted my rear all month and wanted to get listed on the first of this month, Then we were hit by a snow storm Power was off overnight and when it came back the surge took out my internet and phone. That started a 3 day process with CenturyLink and it took two visits by their tech and they finally repaired their self induced problem and left yesterday.

While all this is going on we are trying to pack and get stuff into storage. I have a moving/storage can in my front yard to load. We are at 80% of capacity so not everything we wanted to get into storage is going to make it so axes may fall again.

I cant believe we accumulated this much stuff in 24 years here. I could call myself a "Good Stuff" collector (Not hoarder) however I am biting the bullet and doing some serious thinning of my electronics shop equipment and keeping only the basics and what I need for fuel injection work. I have not even made any attempt to get the garage even semi packed.

Now looking at the pluses that has happened it is a wash.. The house plans are in the process of being finalized. We still need to settle an issue on my windows but I think they will see the light or glint of green!

I drew to scale the sight plan for the city as they requested a illustration of the house and shop locations. I went full tilt with a plan I drew in a architectural plan program. It showed the whole ball of wax down to the landscape vegetation plan. I took it to the plans office and they were blown away. They usually get a hand drawn property line and boxes for the buildings and that is it from non commercial builders. It made big points with the the plans lady and we should have cooperation completely as long as I stay nice to her.

My banker is just waiting to get the estimates from builders and other subs to get their bids in soon. Maybe sometime before next December we will get started turning dirt. ha ha ha ha

So maybe next month or so I will have some good news and progress.

Meanwhile I will Endevour to Persevere .

That's all folks, That's enough!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (02-07-2019), cozwurth (02-07-2019), Gearhead Poppa (02-07-2019), idrivejunk (02-07-2019), John long (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the update RVW, all progress in the positive is good albeit slower than anticipated.
Stay well and keep warm.
The Following User Says Thank You to fiftyv8 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (02-07-2019)

Old 03-26-2019, 10:53 PM

March Update

Here we are, Another month and slowly stepping toward the prize.

Today marked another Milestone. I finally have 99% of the shop moved! I have been packing and sorting for weeks. Today I had 2 20 ft trucks show up and 4 guys loaded it into the trucks and moved everything to Storage near where we will be living as soon as the house sells...

It has been an eye opening experience to be forced to downsize. I say in a forced kind of tongue in cheek. The house was the first shocker actually looking at the junk you accumulate in just a few years. in this case 24 years. We sorted and tossed so much out and made so many trips to the donation center my truck is tired.. We were able to thin the house to about what we had when we moved in. Well actually gained a lot of space by emptying my daughters old bedroom. The sneaky kid was using it for her own storage.. seems every time she came over she managed to stash more stuff.

The house is basics now just enough furniture to set on and a table and beds. We paired all the household down so that all the rest of the house fit into a 8X16 storage container and we sent it off to heated dry storage. The move of the belongings will happen when the house closes. We will then be officially homeless...Temporarily.

My property has been surveyed and marked. I have retained a guy to do the clearing and Put the driveway in. That should happen by mid April. This process is way to slow for me. By the end of April we may just have to Jump Start my contractor. I have Die Hard and a Awesome set cables and concrete blocks!

In cleaning out the shop I sent a lot of "Kool Stuff of to the scrapper and sold my tractor, cement mixer, Yard implements, and a bunch of stuff but still wound up with 2 20 ft trucks loaded to the max weight. I had a mild stroke at the cost but then again it was a 200 mile round trip. 2 trucks 4 guys.. I wish I could have pulled this off myself but working out of my chair lately has been hard so bite the bullet and pay the man!

The crew were Professionals all the way. they filled the trucks in about 2 hours and even packed some items for me that I hadn't got packed. They handled my tools and parts with great care, The impressive part is how they moved my 800 Lb mid rise lift. It was to wide to roll on the ramp so they raised the lift with 2 hand trucks and set a furniture dolly under it and the other end and pushed and pulled that lift up the ramp and made it look easy.

So here I am still packing storage and garden shed and will make 2 more trips to storage 1 to move the TCoupe and the other the garden shed and lawnmower. then it is collapse on the floor..

That is all there is and I am one tired sob tonight.. Till Next time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-27-2019), Gearhead Poppa (03-27-2019), John long (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the update RVW.
Well it is tough, but that is one stage of your relocation dealt with and hopefully the next stages can be done more at your own pace.

Keep us posted and stay well.

Russ.
The Following User Says Thank You to fiftyv8 For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,971 Posts
Right on RIP.

Have you got the house listed yet?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:29 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

too much stuff

We are living in one side of the duplex, 2000 sq ft with a 24 x 36 garage. My wife's father built the small farm house in 41, she had lived there for 70 plus years, added on a couple of times.5 bedrooms 4 bathrooms She had trouble climbing stairs so lots of stuff got stored there. Her daughter's new step son and family wanted a place closer to work so they rounded up some help and boxed up and moved stuff into the duplex garage. I bought some interlake racking so have 24 ft in one garage and 16 ft in the no longer empty garage, set up my cabinet tools, panel saw, table saw, 3 large router shapers, band saw, 5 ft belt sander, assembly table. My wife had back surgery. instead of fusing discs they made a couple small incisions and inserted 2 spacers that they expanded like moly bolts, It's working so she can sort out boxes and I can move my tools in. I still have lots of stuff in the 40 x 120 fab shop down south. My kids have sent me the cartoon of the old man and son standing in front of the packed garage saying some day all of this will be yours.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 PM

I could really grow to Hate moving! These are trying times my friends! I have been fixin and packing this house for the last month every day. We were way behind schedule getting the house ready for sale, Getting the shop cleaned out and tons of stuff sent away to scrap. Last check my total weight was approaching 10,000 Lbs of scrap steel and car parts. That hurt, I had a ton of stuff in boxes that was all “Good Stuff” that I had to part with

During this time I have had to spend like a crazy rich man and the basket is getting low. A lot of cash into the house for fix ups that I found I could no longer do.

So no movement on the contractor as my Banker is being a pain. When my wife retired the 31st of march we were supposed to have access to Her deferred Comp Funds. Well the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing and despite us personally going to the Capitol and making sure everything went straight. Of course the State of Washington for whom my wife worked for 34 years can’t seem to keep their stuff aligned and moving forward so the whole process grinds to a halt because some one in a office failed to do their job and now we pay the consequences. It could be another 30 days before we can touch our own money. So no money for us no money for contractor and the banker don’t give a damn.

So the big story here is my house will be officially on the market Friday morning. A open house this weekend and I hope to heck it sells quick. I am so ready for this part of this move to be done.

During the last couple of days my van has been making a bumping sound from the back and vibrating. I pulled over yesterday to check tires and found my 10 year old Michelin's were rotting in the sidewalls. I did not want another problem right now but I knew I better get tires replaced like yesterday. I took the van in and had new tires all the way around done this morning. Not the way I wanted to let go of even more money..

I leave you with a couple of photos of my now empty shop except my T. Onward to improvements or I am going to manually strangle a few people. Maybe I will anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shopempty.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	442319   Click image for larger version

Name:	HotRod.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	442321  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,870 Times in 4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Good luck with your plans Rip. My Early years with the telephone co. convinced me I would never build a house. I just don't have the temperament to do it. I wish you well and hope you remain one of us here while work progresses.

We enjoyed Pugsy's build. We will gladly follow along with yours.

John
LOL, I remember posting this back when you advised us of your plans to build RIP.

What you are going through is completely normal and par for the course. I never knew anyone with a real smooth enjoyable experience building a new home. The ones who really go through [email protected] are the ones who decide to be their own contractor.

The good news is you will get through it. Hopefully with both your sanity and wife in tact.

I remember one couple who were finally moving in. As I was installing the phone they were unpacking in the bed room. The guy took two wall sconces out of a box and asked his wife what she wanted to do with them. She said, "lets put them up in here so if the power goes out we can watch TV by candle light."

I don't even think she was a blonde!

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (04-11-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:31 PM

April 23 2019 Update

Well after 9 days on the market and at least a hundred visits We have accepted a offer on our current home. So I guess it is safe to say SOLD<SOLD<SOLD.

It got crazy over the weekend. I had multiple people wanting to make an offer. The offers were between 5 to 25 Grand over my asking price. You might think I took the biggest offer? Nope I took the second offer.

There is a reason I took the second offer. This person really wanted the place, he is a fellow motor head and he put a "Escalation clause in his offer that if anyone else bid higher than him he would match the offer up to 425K + 5 grand in cash.

A second offer came in at list price with some must do's on my part but they had an escalation clause too and their top was 405K.

So with two escalation clauses we have to decide which was better for us. escalate the price or make a deal. We chose the offer that was 5 grand over asking price. That was the guy that was willing to go big money and we told him 5 grand over, and anything the Inspections turns up will be his responsibility.

This was not about the money, This was about fairness! This house is selling for more than I could have imagined. I am not a greedy person and I figured this guy really wanted this house. His offer was over what the asking price is and I am making a good profit and he gets a great house and shop at a fair price. I will have all the money I need to build the new place and pay cash. Then No mortgage...

I know this sounds weird but being honest and fair is just in my nature. I have had people take advantage of my fairness and that was not nice but you pick yourself up and continue. There is also a second motive... That is to build good will with the buyer just in case there are any bumps along the way.

Well off to find temporary quarters, and practice being homeless. I already have a sign to hang on my wheelchair saying Homeless, Need Hot Rod Parts, will not work for a damn thing!!!hahaha.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-23-2019), Bob37pont (04-24-2019), cozwurth (04-23-2019), Gearhead Poppa (04-23-2019), idrivejunk (04-23-2019), John long (04-23-2019), timothale (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,971 Posts
Congrats. There's a monkey off your back. When's the closing date?

Will you be moving close to the new house? Hope so. We need a ton of progress pics.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM

Great news RVW.
Keep up the good work.
I don't believe anybody here ever doubted your good nature...
Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,870 Times in 4,072 Posts
Congratulations Rip. It is good to see things going your way.

John
Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Congrats. There's a monkey off your back. When's the closing date?

Will you be moving close to the new house? Hope so. We need a ton of progress pics.
Oh yeah it feels great. All the long hours of fixing and improving this place. Started last year and got real ugly January on. I listed and sold in 9 days.. and they said the crazy real estate market up here was slowing...... Ha

We will be closing on May 16th. I am getting a bit frantic trying to find a place to rent for less than 6 months and it is hard..

My current relocation plan is to try and get a place as close to my new digs as possible. I asked the wife if she would like to camp till we will be ready to move in? Mmmmm did I tell ya about the sudden arctic freeze!!

Tomorrow we take the last load to storage and what we are left with is what we will try to move with. We may have to take a furnished place in that case everything but absolute needed will go to heated indoor storage. This last load tomorrow is my last load that I am gonna move manually. No matter where I go next someone else is going to do this moving stuff..

Yeah I hope to have some clearing pictures soon. The dirt guy is hoping for a permit by the end of the week and when he starts the clearing I plan on being there. So film coming soon at 11.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (04-24-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 11:39 AM

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well total and complete disaster has happened and I am completely and utterly devastated!

Night before last I received a phone call from one of my subcontractors on my new home project. He was the dirt guy and he had just returned from picking up the permits to clear my property!

Problem is the City has Nixed the entire project of my new home because the city says my property has wetlands on it. I will not be allowed to build! I now must go through a long costly legal battle to be able to build. If I win I won't have enough room left on my lot to build a dog house let alone my home and new shop.

I am going to take a bloodbath on this project! Deposits will be forfeited and I will be left with a watering hole for the local deer. and many thousands of dollars in the hole.

To make matters worse there are rumblings that the appraiser on my house is having heartburn and is coming today for a close up appraisal on my house. We are suppose to close on the 16th and I need to be out of this house buy the 12th. We have been searching for a rental that we could stay in for a short term. Big problem there... everyone wants a minimum 6 months lease and 90 percent will not allow me to bring my small Border Collie with us.

Wee don't know what we will do now. I am stressed beyond recognition and like never before. Everything went smooth up till the phone call. Now I just feel like someone punched me in the gut and sick..

One last note to anyone thinking it was my fault for buying this property! When I bought the lot I was assured by the real estate agent it was a build able lot. I did my due diligence I searched wetland maps I walked the lot from end to end. Near the center the ground was a bit wet but it had been raining a record amount of rain previously So I didn't give a lot of thought. I hired two different people to inspect the lot and both of them came back and said no problems. The city had NO notes or anything about wetlands on my lot. The previous owner did not disclose any wetlands and said on the disclosure form no problems..

So here I set trying to figure my next step which will be finding somewhere to live. I am bleeding cash having to pay for 4 storage lockers each month Bleeding me dry. I have no where to go no place to put my things....

So the gist of the matter is I may be going off line till this crises has been dealt with! So my friends farewell for a undetermined time. I hope there is some of me left when this is all over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in