Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails! - Page 20 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2019, 11:08 AM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. Yeah the lot deal has moved down in priority and I am keeping my focus on the house deal. I got a call late last night and my broker finally got word that the 2 owners had agreed in principle to the sale and price we set. They need to officially sign and accept the agreement but that is a formality.

About the garage / shop. After careful observation and measurements My plan for the garage will be to just extend the garage right thru and double it's size. However the first goal is to get the sale wrapped up and get moved. I feel exhausted today and can't wait till I get to sleep back in my nice adjustable bed. My back is not happy sleeping on a rock covered with a layer of moss. Maybe I will be able to get back to work on the T soon! I hope.

This weekend kicks off the tourist season here and the place is going to be flooded with nutzoid tourists. Glad I don't have to mix with them..

Well today is supposed to be a free day so I am going to set back relax and watch the waves...Oh a side note we have been here almost 2 weeks and the Sun Has made an appearance at least 1 time every day we been here. I am really starting to like the quickly changing weather and the slow pace of life here. Everybody seems to run on what the locals call "Beach Time"! Morning starts somewhere around 11:00 am and by 6:00 pm this place is shut down for the night...

Yeah I am gonna like it here...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-23-2019), fiftyv8 (05-23-2019), idrivejunk (05-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 11:55 PM

End of July Progress report.

Today I visited my Storage to get some tools I need here at the house and decided to visit my Coupe while I was picking up the tools I needed. The rust it picked up moving it in the rain doesn't seem to be any worse. I sure miss just working on it. and working in my shop doing anything.

So here is the revised plan as it sets. First off I am withdrawing my request for Lot setback exemption. After some serious discussions I found the city will delay my motion as long as they can hoping I get bored and quit. As things set I can only add 10 feet to my garage before I hit the limit of the setback.

So after discussing this with my builder he says the only place on the lot to put a garage is in the front yard. After making some rough estimates it looks like I may be able to put in a 36'X36' in the front and meet all of the stupid regulations so we are moving slowly. I am getting settled and things are doing good. I will be back to the coupe in 6 months or so. Well Surfs up I am outa here..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-27-2019), Gearhead Poppa (07-27-2019), John long (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 02:57 AM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,760 Times in 4,038 Posts
I could entertain myself nicely in 36" x 36". Good luck.

John

Old 07-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Yeah John, The new shop is only 4 feet shorter than My old one. my old shop was 36 X 40 and it was stuffed with tons of junk I no longer have.. As this was being shorter I can convince the wife I have downsized. hahaha. No special tricks in the new shop except a 12 foot ceiling in this one and 1 less entry door. I also might add a recess in the floor for my low rise lift but the rest is all fluid..
Old 07-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,760 Times in 4,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip VW View Post
Yeah John, The new shop is only 4 feet shorter than My old one. my old shop was 36 X 40 and it was stuffed with tons of junk I no longer have.. As this was being shorter I can convince the wife I have downsized. hahaha. No special tricks in the new shop except a 12 foot ceiling in this one and 1 less entry door. I also might add a recess in the floor for my low rise lift but the rest is all fluid..
The 12' ceiling will be a big plus. I see a lift in the future with you polishing your wheels in the chair?

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 05:24 PM

Sounds good to me RVW.
Ceiling height will be a big plus also.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Yeah I realized when I built my old shop I should have put higher ceilings in the first place. How many times did I pick up a 8 foot 2 X 4 vertically and try to walk forward and wham short stop. John the Big plan calls for a Lift. Another 4 post lift / car storage rack. I plan on doing what you suggested shining my wheels and chrome on the 27.. When I built my late brothers Mustang we used a 4 post platform lift and that combination worked awesome for me and my chair. I had the lift real low to the floor so as I set in the chair I lowered my head and drove right up under the car. I could reach everything seated and would be there under the car and no one knew where I was.. Very comfortable working that way and easier on the back. The platform made a nice workbench when I was under so I enjoyed the heck out of that perk..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-27-2019), John long (07-27-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Well Well Well, Here it is almost 12 months after I cut off all work on the T and switched to readying my home for sale. All of my tools and parts went into storage last January and been there since.

The garage project is turning into one big pain in my A??. First the city quashes my dream home project. I regroup and decide to expand my garage by adding on to the end but again the City nixes that and would not give me a variance I wanted to extend the existing garage. I am beginning to think the city really don't like me.. However the city is going to have to accept me as I got firmly rooted here and am ready to meet their every opposition.

So after that fiasco I went to visit one of the primary builders in this area to see what can be done and how to keep the city from vetoing my next plan.

The Builder and I found a spot in front of my house where everything fits and no special operations or special permits needed. I ask the builder if he can build my shop. Nope is what he says. "I have about 2 years of building projects booked and I have no time to build a garage..

My Original builder I was going to use before this sleigh began was also booked up till spring. This is a bit concerning but I continue to keep looking.

I do more research and make a list of 11 builders in this area that can build my shop and started out on my inquires. The building is simple 30' wide and 36 ft deep. 12 foot ceiling with a standard comp roof nothing fancy but all good space. I laid the requirements out. and submitted 11 requests to bid on the job. The results of this were absolutely un-believable.

Out of the 11 requests I got back This is what I got back the first builder must have thought I was building a Home Tajmahall. His Bid came in at $112,000 dollars. I about fainted. He really likes his building.. The next guy was a real knowledgeable builder but his bid was 20 K over what was in the budget. The third bid came in at only 10 K over budget but the guy was a complete *** H0!3. He kept ignoring me an what I wanted. He changed the building design and dimensions no less than 3 times and was argumentative when I didn't change my mind. I finally asked him who was the the boss here? He then changes his tune then he got all sweet. I have his bid setting in the "Last Resort" pile and I really don't want him to build anything for me.

That was all of the responses from 11 contractors. I called and left a message with. I was disappointed that none of the other builders had the common decency to to least call me back to tell me they are not interested. instead of just ignoring me.

I finally had my fill of Contractors and builders. I sketched what I wanted and where I wanted to put it. I then Looked up a contractor that had not called me back and packed my photos sketches and info and drove to his Business where I was told he was on a job at the time. I got the address where he was working and went to the Job to talk to him. He was nice enough to take the time to talk and we had a productive conversation. He explained that literally every construction contractor in this area was booked up at least 6 months. At this point 6 months is better than not getting it built at all so I left him my notes and drawings and he said he would look it over and give me a bid.

I got a call from him last night and his Bid is only 2 K over my budget but I like his knowledge and ideas so we will be going with him and waiting 6 more months.. ARGHGH. So in the mean time I am going to make arrangements to at least get my hand tools and some basic tools and the coupe itself and put them in my tiny garage till the big one is finished. Just maybe I can get some work going on the project. Lets Hope. Meanwhile I have the electronics lab set up and I am going to be working on my Fuel injection and harness and get that stuff ready to go so I guess not all is bad.

Today I have Fence people here sinking posts for my perimeter fence so I can get the landscaping finished when they finish.. Always something going on here no rest. hahah Of course I am working on "Beach Time" so nothing happens fast here....

So maybe in a month or so I will have something to post concerning progress on the TCoupe. in the meantime let the spending begin.. Hahahahaha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-14-2019), Gearhead Poppa (08-14-2019)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in