Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Progress inch by inch!

I started the slow bend and scream on the inner panel today. I learned a bunch and found some interesting ways to keep the center of the panel from distorting the curve.

As predicted by John I saw evidence of distortion in the curve. I was working a tiny bit at a time. I finally saw a way to help the bend to form evenly. I sound a 1X4 and a hunk of 3 in" round pipe. I laid the pipe cross way left and right across that big hunk of panel. The 1X4 was put on the other side of the panel and secured both pieces with a c clamp. The pipe helped with the curve forming as I could move it back and forward to support the curve. moving slowly and carefully I have the rear lower portion curved everywhere it should be, and so far no gotme's!!

There is the opposite end still to be messed with and I haven't decided how to finish it up yet. I have some ideas but nothing is cast. Next part will be making the rear look petty and then to make the rear final fits. Then I can decide the last fitment before it gets bead rolled.

So a couple of pictures are in order and they pretty well explain themselves. Still a ways to go but getting there..

BTW: A question for my online advisers? How should I go about folding the flange over in the rear when I go to finally put it all together? Is it just standard sneak up on it with a hammer and dolly, Or maybe a long dolly on the skin side anyway thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CurveSt1.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	416113   Click image for larger version

Name:	CurveSt2.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	416121   Click image for larger version

Name:	CurveSt3.JPG
Views:	25