Iím getting closer
Well I am getting close now. I think 1 or 2 more sessions and the inner panel will be eighty percent complete. I will just need to do a bead or two for strength. The best step after that is to give all the internal parts a good covering of SPI Epoxy. Then final assembly and I will be done with this seemingly lifetime project Deck Lid.
Ok I need to mention John Longs warning about rolling first then tipping the edges! He was absolutely correct!!! Unfortunately, I did not have access to a slip roll wide enough to do that. I guess I could have split the piece down the middle, rolled each side then welded it back together. That was not a way I wanted to do, so I had to do what I could with what I had and make it work. I stretched the flange to start the curve and noticed within a few stretches that what John had predicted was coming true. The center was not going to play well with the rest. I tried my steel pipe method to slowly work the curve but it was so slow progress wise making the curve in the center and it wasnít consistent. What I needed was a buck or something with the correct radius.
(Enter Idea 1)
I was out in the storage shed when my gaze shifted to two hunks of 6 inch PVC sewer pipe lying on the shelf. I pulled them off and got an idea for a radius to use to form the deck shell curve. I also spied a hunk of closed cell dense foam that could go inside the sewer pipe. ( actually the stuff was left over from a previous project) I used the round foam to connect the two pieces end to end and it is almost wide to span the entire panel.
Basically I place the tube in the radius and block the other end of the shell across the back so the shell wonít move. I then block a 2X4 to the bench and add pressure to the center area right over the pipe radius. It actually works as there is enough give in the tube that the steel follows the radius and I can slightly over bend on each pass and it springs right where I want it. It is like a poor manís Frugal Manís slip roll. Progress is slow but I am not hurrying on any of it as that is when things come un glued for me. I can see a screw up in the bend and recover easier because I am really trying to not blindly leap ahead like I have been known to do!
(Closer Yet) and (Closest Yet)
One last note, I have figured out how the end will work and it is I think a great idea. More on that idea next post. I will not be getting much done on it for the next week. Have run into a couple of issues I need to address. Onward to tomorrow..