Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails!
View Single Post
  #119 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Rip VW's Avatar
Rip VW Rip VW is offline
I will endevour to persevere
 

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coastal ,Worshington, The State
Age: 66
Posts: 939
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3,547
Thanked 1,106 Times in 611 Posts
Well it's a done deal! I rolled a couple a beads in the shell today. I did encounter a couple of problems in the process.

First problem was throat depth of my bead roller. I wanted to put 3 vertical beads in the panel but I was about 1 1/2" short of reaching the center. I had to regroup and remeasure for only 2 beads. I had some minor clearance issues because of the side but I was able to work through and successfully put 2 beads down the the panel.

Pugs you were right it flimmed a bit on the first bead at about 1/2 way. It caught me by surprise. but once I re supported it and finished the bead and it straightened right out. I could tell a big improvement in the strength when I finished both beads.

I made note to myself to put some kind of fence on my bead roller as it is a big pain to only have a line to follow. Another item I noted was the position of the forward reverse switch. It needs to be accessible to both sides.

This is by far a long way from show car look but at lease it is solid new and it fits..

One of the things I needed to know before I rolled this was just how much clearance was between the skin and shell. I took a couple of plastic garbage bags and laid one out on the inside of the skin. I then took a bunch of play doh and rolled them roughly into about 1/2" ropes and laid them on the trash bag on the skin. I laid another trash bag over them then assembled the two pieces. of deck lid together. I then pushed some and wiggled the panel just to simulate usage. I pulled the two pieces apart and looked and the clay ropes. I had calculated to have 3/8" of space and the clay showed I had anywhere from 3/8" to 1/2" right where it is needed.

The next step will be to get a good covering of SPI epoxy over both or the pieces and when dry I will put the shell in place and set the rivets and close up the lower edge. Oh I will also add a 3 x 3 square of fat mat to insulate and quiet things inside.

I am hoping for cooperative weather next week so I can get these pieces primed and out of the way. I think both doors are next. I am hoping for an easier time as I have all the parts that were damaged in new steel and I don't anticipate any trouble. I need to get the doors done before I set it on the chassis and mock up the body mounts and other items I haven't realized yet will need to be done then.

Still lots to do but I think I can do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shell done1.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	423361   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelldone2.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	423369   Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayDoh1.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	423377   Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayDoh2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	423385  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-04-2018), Gearhead Poppa (05-04-2018)