Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rip Van Winkles 1927 TCoupe on 32 style rails!
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh Crap!!

Today I was fitting and measuring and making sure all was well with the door skin alignment before coating the areas the door frame that the skin will cover with SPI.

As I sat there looking at the skin clamped up something didn't look right. I kept staring at the panel then I saw what was wrong! The Panel I purchased from Howells sheet metal was formed incorrectly! The door skin has a formed edge that goes all around and they used the wrong die or just didn't care as the trim on the pannel is sharp edged rectangular and the original trim on my door is curved and not even like a rectangle. Referenced to my photos.

Now I need to make the edge look close to stock and the thing that makes me nervous, is the howells skin has a nice sharp bend that will have to disappear and then contour the edge of the skin like the OEM.

Ok my options are limited, This replacement panel must fit the door and look like it was made that way. Buying 2 more replacements is not in the budget!

I am now officially seeking recommendations for a fix for my dilemma.
WWYD What Would You?

One more thing. I am not laying my problem completely on Howells as I had the responsibility to receive the product, Inspect it and accept or reject. I accepted it and set it to the side for about 12 months or so. I really didn't look at it with a critical eye. I still didn't notice the difference till today. So shame on me also..

Oh fiftyv8, if you are around I need some door height measurements if you would please.. Outside the door top right corner to lower right corner. center top to center bottom and left top to left bottom. I have several different numbers from different sources my numbers are one side top to bottom are 46 3/4" center reads 47 1/2" and the other side is 47 5/8". that is within a 1/8 or so of the other measurements. when the door is fit in the body it fits nice and looks just fine.

Thanks to everyone

Photos below

Trim0 A crude drawing comparing the edge trim of a real T coup Compared to Howells junk.

trim1 This gives you a good shot of the flat topped trim on the new panel and the door for comparason.

Trim2 Here is a good shot of the OEM door upper.

Trim3 This shows differences between the 2.

Trim4 A better A-B comparison.

Trim5 The obvious differences. You see the inside edge of the OE it is smooth and gently curved. Look at the replacement part that is a 90 and sharp edged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim1.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	434223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim2.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	434225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim3.JPG
Views:	18