A Rostra cruise control grounding issue - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2019, 02:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

A Rostra cruise control grounding issue

I have put in a Rostra cruise control in my 78 El Camino. I sanded the fender to bare metal where I put the ground bolt. When I use my volt meter, going from cruise control ground to the battery ground, checking ohms,I don't get a reading. I'm guessing the ground isn't working, since there's no reading. Am I correct? If so, how do I make it a better ground? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 05:23 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

If you are checking continuity between the cruise control ground screw and your fender ground and not getting a reading, you have a broken wire.

I would expect that grounding to the fender would work, but there may be some spacers/insulators between the fender and the rest of the body. You might try installing a small ground bus on the firewall instead, and see if that works better.

Bruce
Old 11-28-2019, 06:26 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Could run a braided ground strap from the block or frame, to the fire wall, use the whole body as a buss.

Just a question, reading the sanded area of the fender and the bat ground, you seeing continuity ? If yes the problem is with the CC unit, that ground wire might be broken.

Pep

Old 11-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Thanks guys and Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving. Yes, I'm trying to read the continuity between the ground of the cruise control panel and the ground for the battery. I was told by the tech people at Rostra to get a reading for those points. I put the fenders on myself and there's no bushings or rubber between them and the body. I'm terrible at wiring. I really appreciate your help.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:51 AM
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION

Is your cruise control not working? What are your symptoms? I had hell with mine but finally got it working fine..
Old 11-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Not sure if this is similar to what you have... Never installed this before. What appears to be the ground wire coming from the box is very small, so not running much amps. The ring connector in the loom is typical low amps. If this is going under the dash, just run to a ground there. If under the chassis, and/or any question..., just splice in a 14G ground and run to batt terminal. A 20ft roll of 14G Black is only about $8.00. Plus looking at the unit, I would suspect, non protected circuit card. Having a separate direct power and ground allows you to disconnect and isolate in the event you need to weld and protect it from power spikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rostra Image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	450027  
Old 11-28-2019, 01:25 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

a quick check would be to run a temp ground wire to the battery
i've had the rostra global cruise on my 58 truk for 10 years without a problem
the only thing i'd suggest is to set the dip switches to minimum aggressiveness for everything to avoid surge
The Following User Says Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
Foperfoauto (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Is there paint at all the mating surfaces where the fenders bolt to the core support and the body? If so, you may not have any continuity since the parts are insulated from each other. You may need to put bonding straps at other locations on the fender to get the fender grounded to the battery.

Keith
Old 11-29-2019, 11:56 AM

This cruise control is used but a new installation for me. I haven't tried it on the road yet. I'm trying to get the LED functions to work according to the directions in the manual. There is a green light that is to show up in the LED control panel that's mounted on the driver's fender. I put the new fenders on about 4 years ago. They have paint on them where they are attached. The ground at the battery seems to work on. That doesn't mean the other side will. I'll try running an extension on the ground for the cruise control. Thank you all for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to redsag 78 For This Useful Post:
Foperfoauto (11-29-2019)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in