Sacramento county, Calif- you cant work on your car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sacramento county, Calif- you cant work on your car

https://jalopnik.com/sacramento-coun...b_2MN98ETl4EnI

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,813 Times in 4,354 Posts
I know I am moving next month to a house that has an HOA and I am concerned I won't be able to work on my truck in the garage. I am planning on making some sound proofing and stuff so I don't get anyone freaking out on me.

Brian
Old 07-06-2019, 12:08 PM

It happens all over.

I've been through similar in a subdivision with an HOA. A board of old fuddy-duddies that thought they lived in a retirement community. One member always out on patrol nothing better to do. I came home from work and my C10 was gone out of the driveway. No notice from Hoa , nothing. I had my attorney send a letter to the Hoa and this idividual and they both ignored it. So we filed. I had talked to the tow yard and they were keeping the truck inside and I told them it was going to sit there until court. When it was all over the Hoa paid the storage, towing both ways, lost time from work, lost use, my attorney fees etc.

This nut job on the HOA who was in charge of parking? Had my truck towed for no inspection sticker which it didn't need being pre '70 as per MVA code.

This same Hoa also installed speed bumps on a dead end street so short you couldn't hardly do 20mph. No letters to the home owners, nothing.The same day they were installed I came home after dark on my bike and skinned up the frame and shocks. They covered that after a letter from the same attorney. They neglected to paint them reflective and give proper notice. They painted them the day after they got the letter from my attorney. The board member was standing there and thought it was funny when it happened. She happened to be standing curbside with her dog and a few other neighbors. Me stopping and asking why they weren't painted didn't help her cause.

This same HOA changed the by-laws so there was no more street parking. So everybody in the neighborhood had to shuttle their guests and visitors from up the street and around the corner because the driveways could only fit 2 cars.

All this and it was not like I was racing up and down the street, had stuff scattered around, or out there gunning engines. I wasn't even working on stuff in the driveway.

When you get a nastygram from the Hoa because you put your indoor plants on the deck over the weekend it's time to go.

Bylaws don't mean much. The board can change them at will. They had quite a reputation of making residents, with the exception of a select few, miserable, and it actually hindered home values. The neighborhood should be nice and neat and the end of their involvement but it often isn't.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 07-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile down the road. I do what I want. I like it that way
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to johnsongrass1 For This Useful Post:
55 Tony (07-09-2019), BogiesAnnex1 (07-09-2019), cozwurth (07-06-2019), Hipster_G (07-06-2019), techinspector1 (07-07-2019), whinny (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I know I am moving next month to a house that has an HOA and I am concerned I won't be able to work on my truck in the garage. I am planning on making some sound proofing and stuff so I don't get anyone freaking out on me.

Brian
If you think moving to an HOA neighborhood and paying them a fee to run your life is a good idea, I feel sorry for you. I'm glad I left California in my rear view mirror back in '94 sadly many of the California nut cases are bailing out and showing up in Arizona because they cannot afford the cost of living in California because of who they voted for. It seems they have not learned their lesson we are seeing a gradual change for the worst here too,thankfully we still have a lot of non-HOA places here. Did you get "All Shook up '' last night ?
Old 07-06-2019, 02:19 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

it probably won't stick after a couple of guys with means and money get ticketed
their concern is chemicals, yet they allow any homeowner to spread endless bug and weed chemical into the watershed

as for HOAs? your buying into that hoa of your free will, either put up or move
i've never dealt with an hoa, never will, though i have dealt with the opposite: zero zoning
i go back to visit my old neighborhood where i built my custom earth sheltered home back in the 80s...
old single wide trailers all over the mountain side. barf...
Old 07-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,813 Times in 4,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB28 View Post
If you think moving to an HOA neighborhood and paying them a fee to run your life is a good idea, I feel sorry for you. I'm glad I left California in my rear view mirror back in '94 sadly many of the California nut cases are bailing out and showing up in Arizona because they cannot afford the cost of living in California because of who they voted for. It seems they have not learned their lesson we are seeing a gradual change for the worst here too,thankfully we still have a lot of non-HOA places here. Did you get "All Shook up '' last night ?
The thing is my HOA is at my new house in Idaho where I am moving next month! I have never lived in one, and about every house I looked at there was in an HOA. We will see, if it doesn't work I'll move.

Brian
Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

no HOA

My wife's Family owns some property in the city limits which I farm to be able to keep the ag tax rates. It is sub-dived into 2 zones . half is residential, the other is called Village is on the main highway and allows residential or various commercial uses. My step son applied to build a 40 unit mini storage building on a 1/2 acre lot. I designed it to have a false front like a barn and have a rock face to match a "historical" rock bridge across and up the road a block. and enhance the "historical nature of the area" It was approved 9 to 1. The discenting member resigned the P& Z then wrote some various articles in the newspaper that I responded to . He complained about the Christmas lights not being put up before thanksgiving. the city spending money for a new lawnmower, the new electrical code compliant Christmas lights not bright enough. our project not an aproiate use . You still can have problems where ever you live.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,669 Posts
Quote:
The thing is my HOA is at my new house in Idaho where I am moving next month! I have never lived in one, and about every house I looked at there was in an HOA. We will see, if it doesn't work I'll move.

Brian
If there is an older, industrial area nearby, you may be able to rent a workspace, similar to your old business, for cheap and just keep it all in there. Paying realtor fees, closing costs, etc would add up pretty quickly too.

My wife lived in an HOA neighborhood when I met her and like any "governing body", the boards seem to attract the complete nazi jerks that want to control everything to their liking. I had never lived under that sort of control before and will never again. My land, I'll do as I damn well please, within the ordinances of the city/county/state it is located.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM

Last journal entry: Start over

HOA's can be a two edged sword. On the one hand, they can get "nazified" and ruled by those who have their own version of what paradise should be. On the other, is anarchy where your hillbilly neighbors have an ersatz junk yard. I live in the country with a fairly good group of neighbors but there are some who think that they can do whatever they want like playing WW3 all day (it's legal to shoot here). Sometimes my work gets kind of loud but I don't start it 'till after noon and it's occasional. People are going to be jerks. Really important to do your research.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,804 Times in 2,099 Posts
Quote:

Brian
With all due respect Brian, how many people have to tell you to avoid an HOA for you to believe it. I'll pitch in here also. Lived in an HOA neighborhood in Tempe, Arizona for several years and it was a constant hassle between the token old man on a bicycle with his note pad and a visit from the Tempe Zoning Inspector. I have no idea how I managed to keep my sanity. No more HOA for me.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
With all due respect Brian, how many people have to tell you to avoid an HOA for you to believe it. I'll pitch in here also. Lived in an HOA neighborhood in Tempe, Arizona for several years and it was a constant hassle between the token old man on a bicycle with his note pad and a visit from the Tempe Zoning Inspector. I have no idea how I managed to keep my sanity. No more HOA for me.
Very similar to what I was going through. The resident parking attendant would walk her dog many times a day. Many times down the street and back and forth in front of my house several times only when the garage door was open and then continue on her way down the street. Another letter from my attorney and security cam footage didn't stop her from walking down the street but it did stop the circling back and forth in front of the house.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: Harvey did it.

I've lived in an HOA neighborhood for 20+ years. I've been president twice. The first time, I presided over a revision of the bylaws. This term, I simply point out, "We discussed that (infraction, complaint, etc.) in 2007 and no one voted for it."

If you don't like your HOA, become active in it and change it.

We all die eventually. The old guys riding their bikes and the old biddies walking their dogs won't be around forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supercharged03 For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
The old guys riding their bikes and the old biddies walking their dogs won't be around forever.
The old guys riding their bikes and the old biddies walking their dogs will eventually be us...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 36 sedan For This Useful Post:
Hipster_G (07-08-2019), Too Many Projects (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 sedan View Post
The old guys riding their bikes and the old biddies walking their dogs will eventually be us...
LOL!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hipster_G For This Useful Post:
36 sedan (07-08-2019), Too Many Projects (07-08-2019)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in