Salvage Title Info - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Wiki Edits: 0

Salvage Title Info

I know this isn't the typical question asked, and that it varries state by state, but does anyone know how I can go about obtaining a salvage title. I bought a care at auction a few years back and I lost the damn title. I'd like to get It titled before I start rebuilding the damn thing. I've had title issues in the past (actually have one going on righ tnow with a truck I bought) but this one is new to me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr

In Michigan, a salvage title is issued by the insurance co. after a car is totalled. That "salvage" tatoo stays with the title untill the vehicle is either rebuilt or scrapped.

A vehicle with a "salvage" title can't be registered untill it is inspected by the police, not necessarily to insure it's safety, but to verify no stolen parts were used in the rebuild. All reciepts for parts used must be presented, new or used, and any parts labeled on the original "salvage" title, if repaired, must be verified.

After inspection, the title will then be tatooed with "Rebuilt" and is a different color than other titles to mark it so.

Why do you want a "salvage" title anyway? Again, states vary, but here, all one has to do is present a bill of sale, if one exists, or if the title is simply lost, present the vin #, and a check is run to see if the number is reported as beloning to a stolen vehicle. If everything is copacetic, a new title is issued, and you're good to go.

Brian
Old 05-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Banned

I bought it with a salvage title- Its on old TA that a storage company had a claim to since they had it for a few years with no payment... they said they had to use a salvage title since the original owner was not found.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:35 PM

Florida -

The law in Florida recently changed.

Florida no longer allows salvage titled vehicles to be on the road. I know because I was looking into rebuilding a harley and talking to my ins agent. their son had just totaled his custom truck and they wanted to buy it back from the ins co but could no have put it back on the road in Florida...............

existing ones are grandfathered in.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint

Was the car titled in your name. If it was you can go the the license bureau and do a title search. If it is not in the computer data base you can contact the main office in Jefferson City and have a hand search done. I had it done a couple of years ago and it was free. When you go to the license bureau you will need the VIN to start the search.

If it was not titled in your name you can still do the search and you will find out who's name its in. You might be able to contact that person and get them to file for a lost title and then transfer it to you.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Grillin Randy

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Wiki Edits: 409

The last I knew you had to have a license to buy a vehicle with a salvage title in Missouri. I know this since I have thought about buying a few salvage vehicles in Missouri. As a holder of an out-of-state Vehicle rebuilder, parts dealer license in another state it would cost me $25.00 a year to obtain a license to buy salvage vehicles in Missouri. Just a heads up.
Licensing a salvage title in Iowa is simple. It has to pass a state inspection and then it will be titled as a PSRT = Prior Salvage Rebuilt Title. It will carry that designation in this state forever.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint

I bought a wrecked Chevy pickup about 10 years ago from a Junkyard in Joplin Mo. They put my name on the title and I went to the license bureau and got a salvage title in my name. After I got it fixed up it had to be hauled to the Missouri Hiway Patrol Inspection station. There it was inspected (VIN numbers). I also had to have reciepts for the parts I installed and a 25.00 form. Then with all of the paperwork I went to the main license bureau office in Jefferson City and applied for a regular title so I could get a license plate. When the title came back it had prior salvage on the face of the title.

You have to be a dealer or have a salvage license to purchase cars at the salvage pool. Anybody can buy a salvage titled car from a dealer or junkyard. It will a different colored title, orange instead of the green. I used to have a dealer license and have bought lots of salvage cars and trucks to be rebuilt.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
I bought it with a salvage title- Its on old TA that a storage company had a claim to since they had it for a few years with no payment... they said they had to use a salvage title since the original owner was not found.
In most states, that would have required a lien sale, not a salvage title.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in