Sbc 383 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2020, 01:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sbc 383 heads

I’m going to build a 383 for my 69 Chevy c10.
I’m wanting 500 ft pounds of tourqe.
I have a th400 tranny with a 2000 stall. The stall can be changed if need be. 12 bolt posi 3.42 rear gear and 30” rear tire. That will not change. My truck weighs 3800 pounds.
This is a street divin truck that I drive around 10,000 miles a year. I want a very strong and dependable engine.
Im going to use a 880 roller block.
I’m thinking my cam needs to be in the .230 @ .05 duration range. But I need advise on my heads, I would like to stay with iron heads. No reason for that, that’s just what I’m used too. What size intake runners?? 185 cc? I know I need to keep air velocity up for the tourqe I’m wanting. I still have the vortec heads that came off that engine but I figured they would cost more then they are worth to go thru.
What is your options?
Also, dual plane performer or dual plane rpm Intake?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

190-210cc head depending on brand.
Cam depends on the head specs.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:56 PM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 993 Posts
A cam timing at 230 degrees at.050 lift is getting too big for a 2000 RPM stall converter.

One of the difficulties of adding displacement is cam can't be expanded in proportion without getting into the bad habits of long duration cams as this is a function of crank degrees and their effects through piston position of overlap and intake closing point. So to a large extent camshaft bad habits are independent of engine size.

Bogie

Old 01-09-2020, 07:31 PM

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/100...ld-524171.html

right here same page
full list of parts
amazing combo
508# torque
Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,877 Times in 2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawlog View Post
i would like to stay with iron heads.
no...........
Old 01-09-2020, 08:53 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
no...........
Theres a little power there with iron
Old 01-10-2020, 06:56 AM

Getting cast iron heads that are good are not as easy as options wise as getting aluminum heads. There are more options and more aluminum heads out there then anything else but I still like iron heads myself but also aluminum. I have pros and cons with what I like and don't like but that is just me. For such a big truck and wanting something to cruise with more so then racing with I would stay with a [email protected] duration wise cam so you get more torque and better midrange especially with that truck. I currently run a 268/272 220/[email protected] 510/510 lift hydraulic roller cam and even it for a daily driver with a 3000 stall and 3.42 rear gears in a chevy s10 still though mild compared to others on here is still pushing the edge of decent street manors for an everyday driver which for several reasons I am changing my engine out and selling it and getting something even lesser and better for my driving needs for something more reasonable since I do more town driving now vs highway driving when I worked at my old job and had another vehicle to drive. This is my only truck now and since I had to sell my other wilder one two years ago cause of health reasons and also needed money I am going with something milder so I can cruise and get a better efficient engine for town use while still making some decent power but nothing like I am now.

I am done wit the rump rump cam days. Really think about what your driving habits will be like and what would be the best all around cam to match with your heads to give you the best manors and power along with cruising and not going overboard and wishing you picked something different that was not to wild and be unhappy with it. Do your research on cams as I have been through so many cause of trial and error and also dumb decision making I have done a lot of mistakes on certain cam sizes for what I used my trucks for over the years. Don't get one for sound and stay away from thumpr cams.
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
Getting cast iron heads that are good are not as easy as options wise as getting aluminum heads. There are more options and more aluminum heads out there then anything else but I still like iron heads myself but also aluminum. I have pros and cons with what I like and don't like but that is just me. For such a big truck and wanting something to cruise with more so then racing with I would stay with a [email protected] duration wise cam so you get more torque and better midrange especially with that truck. I currently run a 268/272 220/[email protected] 510/510 lift hydraulic roller cam and even it for a daily driver with a 3000 stall and 3.42 rear gears in a chevy s10 still though mild compared to others on here is still pushing the edge of decent street manors for an everyday driver which for several reasons I am changing my engine out and selling it and getting something even lesser and better for my driving needs for something more reasonable since I do more town driving now vs highway driving when I worked at my old job and had another vehicle to drive. This is my only truck now and since I had to sell my other wilder one two years ago cause of health reasons and also needed money I am going with something milder so I can cruise and get a better efficient engine for town use while still making some decent power but nothing like I am now.

I am done wit the rump rump cam days. Really think about what your driving habits will be like and what would be the best all around cam to match with your heads to give you the best manors and power along with cruising and not going overboard and wishing you picked something different that was not to wild and be unhappy with it. Do your research on cams as I have been through so many cause of trial and error and also dumb decision making I have done a lot of mistakes on certain cam sizes for what I used my trucks for over the years. Don't get one for sound and stay away from thumpr cams.

Your absolutely right. Almost 2 tons and a wide loose cam/tight converter are a combination to be a slug in everyday street driving.

Would be better off with a bone stock 396 or 427 big block.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 AM

A Chevrolet RPO L-82 or LT-1 (350 CI / 350 HP) cam, GM 3896962, would be a good choice for your Chevrolet 383. It has 222 degrees duration on the intake and exhaust and .450” I / .460” E valve lift. No bone crushing, seat pounding, pushrod bending valve springs are needed. Valve springs with only 80 lb seat pressure and 280 lb open pressure is needed to follow the cam lobes to 5700 RPM. And best of all, no gas hog rear gear ratios necessary. It is a also good torque cam for a 383 with moderate duration and high valve lift which will make a good street performance 383 engine.

Last edited by MouseFink; 01-10-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:22 AM

I ran the Comp XFI280 (230-236 on 113) in my Camaro first time around with a L98 with ported 113 heads, and a mini-ram. I hated the sound of a HYD roller so much I put a solid roller in this new engine. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad Speier For This Useful Post:
lmsport (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:56 AM

what sound does a hydraulic roller make?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport View Post
what sound does a hydraulic roller make?
IMO depends on which. Had a few customers use Morels and they just click and talk to you. My engine I had OEM Delphis and they just made noise like they weren't pumped up, bet I had the covers off 20 times adjusting them from 1/2-1 1/2 turns. It's just hard to beat the sound of a crisp solid roller cam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad Speier For This Useful Post:
lmsport (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 11:21 AM

The 350 I built last year has a hydraulic flat tapper can .221 @ .05 and .470 lift. It works great on that truck.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Tappet cam
Old 01-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,877 Times in 2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1 View Post
Theres a little power there with iron
Iron is not the problem. It is actually a better material for heads than aluminum because of heat retention. The problem is that there are few iron heads that have runner size and shape that will compete with what is available in aftermarket aluminum. You fellows need to learn to seek out FLOW CHARTS on cylinder heads before laying out your hard-earned green.

And it's OK Sawlog, most of us know what a flat tapper cam is. Thanks for the correction though....

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in