SBC Power Steering pulley? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2018, 03:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Power Steering pulley?

I bought a set of billet pulleys off ebay for a short water pump. I am running two belts. One for the alternator and one for the power steering. I finally got all the parts yesterday and after fixing a stripped out balancer/crank bolt I started bolting everything together. It was going well until I got the power steering bolted up and saw that the pulley sits one groove out too far. I will attach a few pictures so you can see what I am talking about. The question is, can I get a PS pulley with a deeper offset or a PS puump with a shorter shaft so that I can use my current two groove crank pulley? I could order a 3 groove crank pulley to line up with the single groove PS pulley or I could get a 2 groove PS pulley that would line up with the crank pulley I have. Unfortunately both of those options leave me with a blank belt "v" in one of the pulleys. I think that looks unfinished and would prefer to avoid it. Let me know if you can help. Thanks-Nate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_112330.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	412042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_112301.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	412050  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM

I'm thinking your PS pump bracket is for a long water pump setup.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:02 PM

It's supposed to be for a short water pump. It's all the way back against the block mounted to the lower two accessory bolt holes so I don't think it can be mounted back any further. The way it sits now, it's exactly one groove out. I found an offset pulley from cvf racing that will work, but they want $80 just for the pulley. Anyone have a good resource for pulleys that might be a better value? I'm thinking like half that much would be more like it. I might just get a double groove ps pulley and run it with a blank v on the outside.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 AM

Played this game before with the race car. Went to a low mount power steering pump and the old pulley didn't line up. Scrounged around the yard and stole the pulley of of our broken 80 v6 firebird. When you install the pulley on the pump you can stop when it lines up. Course that's not a pretty billet solution. I don't know if Speedway motors has any. But there are lots of different offset OEM pulleys.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 01:48 PM

Need a better pic of the power steering bracket.
Might be the wrong one.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:21 PM

I enclosed a picture of my P.S. pump set up with short water pump. The pulleys appear to be the at the same locations as yours. I used a Type II P.S. Pump from Speedway with a 1/2" thick mount bracket that bolts to the head.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	steering system at rack.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	412498  
Old 03-11-2018, 06:22 PM

My 2 cents

Bought my El Co with air, power steering on the old V belt system. It was a frankenstein of brackets pieced together. It has a Vintage Air unit system. Called Vintage air and bought the whole kit for my car for like 225.00. Laser cut and works perfect. Pics...

** These brackets are actually for Camel Hump heads that I thought I was going to go with but went with Vortecs. They do have them for Vortec or bolt to the front of the heads. However these worked well. They bolt to the pump and the sides of the exhaust port bolts. I like these better as you can see the heads better. I called Vintage after changing to the Vortecs. Asked if these that were for the older no bolt front heads would work. They said they did not know if they would work with the Vortecs. So I told them I would mock it up and do some Research for them. Said I would send pics for a T shirt if they worked. LOL! Got a T shirt in the mail!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2149.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	412658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2148.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	412666  

Last edited by arnoldsel; 03-11-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Those look nice. I will check them out. Part of the reason I went with the short water pump was because I have a cool old cast iron alternator bracket from an old truck. I wanted to use it on this project so here I am. I am thinking about going with a 3 groove crank pulley and a 2 groove alternator pulley. That will give me the length on the crank to reach straight to the power steering pump with a short belt. I can also run 2 belts on the alternator and there won't be any any empty v's.

This is the ps bracket that I bought. It says will work with a short water pump.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272865039788
Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 PM

Vintage Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterBird View Post
Those look nice. I will check them out. Part of the reason I went with the short water pump was because I have a cool old cast iron alternator bracket from an old truck. I wanted to use it on this project so here I am. I am thinking about going with a 3 groove crank pulley and a 2 groove alternator pulley. That will give me the length on the crank to reach straight to the power steering pump with a short belt. I can also run 2 belts on the alternator and there won't be any any empty v's.

This is the ps bracket that I bought. It says will work with a short water pump.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272865039788
I bought a billet 3 Groove crank pulley you can't see. With that I have a stock PS pump and Alternator you can see. The kit I have is for a short Pump.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM

I bought a deep offset PS pulley to align with a short water pump set-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5207.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	412786  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in