sbc retrofit hydraulic roller lifter choice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2019, 06:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ok I mixed this post up with some other but below is what ended up with getting was the $800 plus morel howards lifters. They work fine with my dual spring setup of 135 seat pressure and about 360 open pressure no problem.

It turned out to a dart 377 sbc 4.155 bore x 3.48 stroke. 200cc dart pro 1 aluminum heads fully ported and gasket matched and bowl blended and had many hours of work done to them and run a edelbrock victor jr intake with several holly carbs I own from 750 down to a 600 depending on what I feel like having on it and the dart shp block had the works done to it and I have a scat forged rotating assembly with a forged crank with h beam rods and icon forged pistons flat top with around 9.7 compression and it sits in my 96 chevy s10 with a 3000 stall converter with a turbo 350 and 3.42 rear gears and boy does she fly.

The 377 build is very snappy and fast reving. My cam if less lift most likely would have ran fine with a set of howards oem roller lifters which were 91113 which run a little over $240 and ran fine with my previous milder 350 build with not a whole lot less of a cam. I think the lifters was about the only thing I over killed on but its a fun build indeed. I think my lifters are actually more made for all out race engines that are more track prone and staying at high rpm more so then a daily driver deal.

Advertisement

Last edited by eric32; 01-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to eric32 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (02-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 AM

Ok thanks. Iíve been looking at Howardís maximum effort retro hydraulic rollers. Ill be running a comp XE276HR And afraid itís to much for the stock dog bone setup.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:10 AM

That cam would work with a oem roller setup just fine as it has below 530 lift with a 1.5 rocker. I had a lunati voodoo hydraulic roller 219/[email protected] 515/530 lift and had it reved over 6000 plus rpm no problem with a set of GM lifters which can be gotten for about $100 off ebay from legit seller and also you can use the howards 91113 which are a little more stronger made at least that is what I was told and they are made by morel and they run $243 at summit.

The other lifters would be not much different except they have the link bar holding them together but thats about it. The howards street series are actually good lifters as I have done more research since that time and the only time the $800 plus dollar lifters are needed is for 6500 plus prm for extended time and more higher spring pressure for more all out racing vs street builds.
AutoGear (02-01-2019)

Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM

This is a good thread to revive - thanks Goneagain!

When this thread started I went a different route with lifters than what most recommend in posts here (nothing wrong with these posts.) I went with a set of Johnson Lifters Features . And I have no complaints. I chose them for weight reasons and BTR recommended them for mild builds. But BTR's idea of mild is not what I consider mild.

The tech support at Johnson was excellent, and the link bars we're using have stood up for almost 15K miles of abuse in the 600-800+whp range. I have the heads off our motor and the lifters look like new.They weren't the cheapest lifter we could find, but they weren't silly money either. I've bounced this motor over 7K a couple of times and never experienced any valve float. That's all I can ask for a hydro roller with a spring like this : https://www.briantooleyracing.com/66...pring-kit.html

With that in mind, a Morel will not let you down either. I've never spoke to Mike Jones, but his reputation is excellent, so I'd feel comfortable using whatever he recommends. The same can be said about Chris Straub - he will not lead anyone astray - a great guy.

My last piece of advice about lifters, and cams as well, trying to bargain basement shop on lifters is mistake if you have any love for your motor. Think about it hehe
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 PM

I’m planing on using 1.6 rockers. That puts it at .544 lift so I’ll be safer with the retro style I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goneagain For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (02-01-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM

AFAIK, the Gaterman lifters are still made in China. Haven't ever heard anything different. I'd rather use an Eaton-made, North American part with a Morel name over that. If you check the Gaterman website, you'll notice they slyly avoid addressing that question anywhere on the site. That, specifically, points to being made in China, still.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
I have read about many folks using the ls7 cadilliac roller lifters clear up to 7000 plus and that they are the best oem style lifter one can get and that they can be used in the 1st gen small block chevy oem roller type blocks with no issues since they are .842 and if I were to run them with the spider tray and dog bones then what is the maximum lift they can take before they would be an issues of dropping down to far in the hole because the base of the cam gets smaller when more lift is involved. Does the same .530 lift maximum apply to them as well?

I am getting a great deal made with summit and I don't want to mess this up the first time as I want to make sure I use the best deal possible and quality as well. I am actually going to purchase both the street series and max effort lifters just so I can measure and compare them both at home and I might buy a set of the ls7 cadilliac lifters as well and also compare and measure and make a decision as the ones I won't use I can take bake for a refund and I have a load of parts I am getting. Thanks guys so far for all your help I appreciate it.
So are you saying I can get a set of these and just drop em into my 1st gen SBC? I didn't go roller lifetr, which is my one regret.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:57 AM

The LS lifters have to be used with a oem spider tray with the dog bones and only work in the 87 and up blocks that have the provision for the oem factory roller style. The 86 and earlier blocks won't work with these oem style roller lifters. If you have the 87 and up block and yes they will drop right in with factory setup.
Onepieceatatime7 (02-19-2019)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in