SBC Supercharged - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2018, 01:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Supercharged

I am looking at streetrod with a blower,2 4bbl, turbo 400.
how reliable is a setup like this for every day driving.
Thanx in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 03:56 AM

Run a super charger with direct injection or a turbo perferably with direct injection. 871 blowers are more for a look then drivablity or power.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:06 AM

Depending on the rest of the engine, weight and gearing of the car, and area average temps it should be fine. It wont be fuel saver if thats what you mean. Blowers put alot of intake heat into the engine in hot weather, like in the 90's you will have to watch temps. I had a blown Willys coupe w a big block years ago, and it would run fine w lots of power. But it was geared low and had a wild cam.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 10-29-2018, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the fast replies. I realize that The engine would have a low compression ratio and i wonder how hp if i replaces the blower with a single
4bbl setup. The engine runs over 500 hp( dynoed) as setup now.
Thanks again and last question
rdetl
Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 AM

Thanked 1,141 Times in 911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdetl View Post
I am looking at streetrod with a blower,2 4bbl, turbo 400.
how reliable is a setup like this for every day driving.
Thanx in advance
What do you mean by "everyday driving"? Certainly not a daily commuter vehicle.

At the surface this setup shouldn't be a reliability problem. The TH400 is big enough especially if built for the power. The engine's insides need to be sturdy enough. And how often and deep are you going to push for the power are big players in reliability.

Making it into a Normal Aspirated motor without internal changes to compression ratio and probably cam would cripple the power and make it mighty fuel hungry.

Bogie
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 AM

Unless its a poorly built engine, well over 500 hp should be easy w a roots style blower unless it very small....but you said 2-4's for carburation....taking the blower off and outting a single carb on it will prove to be and engine w poor power due to low compression, usually in the 8-8.5 range

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 AM

Turbocharger or vortec supercharger feeding a intercooler with a blow through carb will give you a street able idle and power when you want it.
Go direct injection later to increase boost levels on the same block changing everything else.

You want reliably keep your horsepower under 350 with a few modern things like a roller cam.

I would stop screwing with small blocks and start with a slight bore big block running 6-8psi turbocharger that spools at low rpm .
Old 10-29-2018, 03:03 PM

Don't listen to naysayers who've never had one; there are several guys who live in the frozen North on this board who drive their prostreet street rods very often. One in particular drove his car at least once every month of the year...in MINNESOTA. They can be extremely reliable, if they have a mild camshaft and compression; with a vacuum advance and a properly tuned distributor.
You're never gonna get 28mpg out of it; but oh well
Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,796 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdetl View Post
I am looking at a streetrod with a blower, 2 4-bbl, turbo 400. How reliable is a setup like this for everyday driving.
Thanks in advance
I would buy an already-built blower car only if I knew the internal clearances of the motor, such as the piston to bore clearance, the top ring end gap and blower rotor clearances. Without that information, I'd pass on it because it is subject to seizing up at any moment. Squish/quench is also something I would want to know, although it is not so critical on a blower car because of the way the mixture is homogenized by the blower on the way in.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Don't listen to naysayers who've never had one; there are several guys who live in the frozen North on this board who drive their prostreet street rods very often. One in particular drove his car at least once every month of the year...in MINNESOTA. They can be extremely reliable, if they have a mild camshaft and compression; with a vacuum advance and a properly tuned distributor.
You're never gonna get 28mpg out of it; but oh well
I agree with the bolded statement. Let the boost do the WORK. But those are 'ifs' without detailed build info.
Personally, I wouldn't consider anything boosted without EFI daily driver material. Trying to tune a carb on a boosted motor for daily driving is a pipe dream IMHO. It only has to go bad once.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64nailhead For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (10-30-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 PM

My SBC has run a B&M 250 blower with carb, and a 6-71 with EFI. Both combos are fine around town and on the Interstates. The 6-71 will cut mileage some and it mostly just makes hot air unless you stomp it, but it does look cool! Run mild CR, like 9:1 and use plenty of advance. You might want boost retard if you intend to get on it hard. And I have a 400 tranny that is now 25 years old; they are tough!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Wiki Edits: 9

An 8-71 motor doesn't have to be unruley for the street. My Nova is a 383, 8-71 blown with two BG 750's, several different Lunati solid roller custom grinds and very streetable and reliable.

Like others said, it's in the build and tune.

Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68NovaSS For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (11-01-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 11:32 AM
bentwings

Actually as far as being streetable more or less daily driver is entirely possible.......however it does take time to get the tune just right. Once it’s good other than minor differences due to weather they can be fun. Even in the rain as there is no more air coming in than it would take without the blower. You need air cleaners and a small drain on the scoop. Not a big deal.

Later model cars the blower can be a visual obstruction. Some states frown on this. Then the blower and extra carb add about 130-140 pounds almost directly over the front wheels. So handling is affected some. Gas mileage typically goes down however if you properly tune the carbs and ignition you can get reasonable mileage. I got 14-15 mpg on the highway with mine. A little less gear would have improved it some too.

Now the bad news, as inspector noted, buying a ready built x71 blown car is very iffy. Many, many are poorly done, mismatched parts, poor tune poor installations, and on and on. Most poor streetblower cars have way too much cam, poor cooling systems, messed up throttle linkages, poor trans and converters , inadequate rear end both gears and strength. And this list goes on.

Just as any solid street performer you need a well put together combination. It doesn’t have to be all forged race ready parts however they need to be able to handle what the project is designed for.

An 8-71 blown bbc with nitrous simply doesn’t make sense to me. I ask, just where are you going to use all this power. Yeah, you can make some 2-300 foot long snakes on the road, but these get expensive when you spend 8-900 for a set of tires. Doing this past the cops is going to cost a whole bunch more. Not to mention how dangerous this is.

So you need to look at what you plan on doing with this street animal. If it’s got some polish on it and a nice looking car, cars shows can be fun. It’s nice however to go cruising the back roads. This changes the picture. There won’t be many times you can really get after it safely. A very few seconds will,put you over any speed limit in the country. I found it as much fun to sit in rush hour traffic with the AC running and the motor purring softly while sitting next to the luxury car moving forward one car at a time. Some waved some gave the bird. All funny.

I say forget any trips to the track. Build it for the street and enjoy it. If you want a racer, build a racer and buy a trailer.

If you really want to jump into blown cars get you credit card out ( nobody writes checks any more) there are lots of really good “blower guys” here that can help.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in