Sealer or polyester primer first? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2016, 07:53 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Wiki Edits: 0

i use ppg concept for color . used dp for many year until the new formula . not a fan of their clears anymore but i was a ppg shop for close to 20 years. there is a long thread about dplf on here .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Nowhere else have I seen this opinion about old threads, nor have I encountered such blatant anti PPG sentiment. The new comment seemed better suited to a new instructional thread rather than applicable to this question from 13 years ago. Products and procedures do change over time, as do suggestions from sales representatives. Something else I never understood is why some call epoxy primer "sealer". I do know it can be used as one but that is a confusing usage of terms.
he reason I started using the epoxy for sealer is that they stopped making the products I had learned to trust I tried two different brands my paint store switched to. "Garbage"! Then I tried the over-reduced SPI epoxy, and was very happy with it!
Old 06-19-2016, 06:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
And I was being nice too....
I have to buy my own materials so I want the best at the lowest possible price, PPG products don't come close to either but if you want poor performance at an outrageous price then go for it. Personally, I don't like getting bent over.
I do like their base coats though, good coverage and color matches that's mostly what I use for my paints, I don't use their clears either just base coats.
Stick around a while if you think what I have to say about PPG is blatant and anti PPG wait till I get going on Dupont and the other rip off artists. I just don't believe we should be paying CEO's to go to the Bahamas for a manicure. meanwhile theres a bodyman having trouble with their DPLF epoxy primer and theres no body around to call to get to the bottom of it. The only thing PPG does well is paints.
As a company, I have about as much respect for it as I do for the guy selling bottled water for 10.00 ea at a disaster area.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,665 Times in 3,309 Posts
I have never had the luxury of choosing brands. I do have the option to remove my presence.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
You also have the option of listening to good solid advise from experienced tradesmen that have been there and done that.
It sounds like your boss is into saving money though, so why would anyone buy low end materials like omini primer when he could have the good stuff for about the same price. You should ask him that, most times they simply don't know theres another option.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:39 AM
Grand Prix User

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 5,665 Times in 3,309 Posts
Clear your inbox so we can begin to settle this like men.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in