secrets of surface rust removal revealed - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Does naval jelly damage fresh paint? Getting the dart painted right now, but need to save up to replace the vinyl top this fall and am sure there are pits of rust under it, and want to remove the rust and either use por15 or epoxy primer before covering it again, but don't want the new paint damaged

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.

Yes! Basically is is jellied acid. I would get it epoxy primered if you can, before paint...It would be better to remove the top before paint and see what is underneath . Vinyl tops can be bad for rusting the metal under it.... I had a 68 Mustang that looked great. The guy that bought it from me, removed the Vinyl top.... Big holes in the back side of the top, which looked great tooo, it was undercover while we had it. They look good, but long time outdoors is hard on the metal.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Too late for getting it done before paint. Paint has already been sprayed in jams and the rest might have already been painted today, not sure.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Papa's absolutly right,except epoxy does nothing for the rust that'll be under the vinyl.Something has to be done with the rust ,you'll have to be careful however you do it...The roof should have been done first....Personally I dont care much for por-15 but in this case it might be your best alternative.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Personally I dont care much for por-15 but in this case it might be your best alternative.
Is there a reason why you don't care for it? So it would be pretty dangerous to try and remove any rust and pits with the naval jelly since it is already painted, bummer.

We got a deal to get the work done, and could not pass it up, but could only afford to do one or the other to start, and we have had the car for five years and it rarely got driven since my wife did not feel it looked nice enough.

Any other suggestions what I could do that would lessen my chances of damaging the paint?

thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Bill,since this thread is for rust removal with Naval jelly PM me for details..
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.

My brain gets ahead of my typing.. You are right body work needs to be done first... I am not sure if you can somehow tape the rest of the car off and use naval jelly on the top of it it needs to be done. Maybe plastic and some type of sealing tape, i.e. duct tape. I was thinking, if the metal under the top was OK, then maybe epoxy primer would do for now. You may have to use sanding and wire brushing. Other may know other things. I still feel you need to get the vinyl top off. You could talk your self out of doing the top for a long time with that silent killer working all the time....

I am only a jack of some trades and a master of none of these...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

muratic acid

I went to a Canadian Tire store today and asked for phosphoric acid. Unfortunately they didn't have it and I bought muratic acid and used it on my car.
How can I neutralize it now? I have no idea where to get caustic soda for example. I didn't prime or paint yet.
What if I sandpaper the spot, will I get rid of it or am I completely screwed?
How long will it take to eat the metal or pop through the paint?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 PM

"I have no idea where to get caustic soda for example."

that's 'Red Devil Lye' or 'Drain-o', sodium hydroxide. There is no really good reason to use something that strong. Regular ammonia and water followed by a water rinse will neutralize the acid wash.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 AM

ask for "Ospho" ...by name....It doesnt need to be neautralized and its easy to use...muratic acid is for swimming pools.Ospho is for metal that gets painted.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegplanets
I went to a Canadian Tire store today and asked for phosphoric acid. Unfortunately they didn't have it and I bought muratic acid and used it on my car.
How can I neutralize it now? I have no idea where to get caustic soda for example. I didn't prime or paint yet.
What if I sandpaper the spot, will I get rid of it or am I completely screwed?
How long will it take to eat the metal or pop through the paint?
Go to the grocery store and look at the labels on oven cleaner, many use sodium hydroxide as the active ingrediant.
You dont need to use that "hot" of a base.
Baking soda will do the job and not be as dangerous to use. What ever you use, make sure you get all of it removed before applying primer.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Last journal entry: Hood

Ahhhh.......so what's better, media blasting or doing this?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Thanks guys. Well I went to another canadian tire, home depot, reno depot and they never heard of naval jelly, Red Devil Lye or Drain-o, Ospho etc. They didn`t even have ammonia. Funny they all have muriatic acid which is stronger but don`t have phosphoric acid. Anyway for rust removal, they told me the strongest they have is "CLR Calcium, Lime & Rust Remover" although I'm not sure, I bought it and will try today. As far as neutralizing the consequences of muratic acid, they have no clue either so I got discouraged and simply bought baking soda. I heard on this forum that it's too weak for this purpose but I can't find anything else that has been suggested. I'll rub it in with a metal brush and then rinse it with water. I found a bottle called "ammonia with bitrex", would it work to neutralize the acid?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,444 Posts
I know this may sound crazy but Canadian Tire sells "Rust Remover" in the auto body section.

Its an acid that eats rusts and converts it.
Be sure to not settle for "converted" rust as the cancerous stuff is right below the surface.

Wire wheel the black stuff off and do it again.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM

Well, they have a few. I tried "Rust Remover" before, it's a thick green substance, I didn't find it worked very well at all.
Another one is called "Rust Converter" and it is in the same bottle as the rust remover. I thought if I should buy it but went on canadian tire website and there's a customer review that says it doesn't work at all.
Because you're probably mixing up the names, may I ask if you actually used either of these?
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in