Shoe horning a SBC into a Mercedes 450 SL - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 AM
Joe Geisler

Wiki Edits: 0

Shoe horning a SBC into a Mercedes 450 SL

Need actual help here not just comments. Searched the web for this subject and read all of the boring comments from Mercedes forum readers on messing with the VALUE drop with doing this and also those who have one with the SBC but no clue how it was done. I have seen actual cars that have had the front crossmember cut up and or a Mustang II suspension change. Not interested in those!! I have heard of a possible use of the 67-71 Nova oil pan (sold on EBay) 350 to 400 USD. But so far no REAL comments nor advice on the fitment details.

I have owned this car for 15 years now tired of it setting in my garage occupying valued space!! It was hit head on and in the pass side door and rocker, at the same time. Then sold for parts and stripped. Floorboards were rotted out. It had some rust above the rear wheel wells but most all of that is now fixed (done 14 years ago). It looks all Mercedes. Nardi steering wheel, new Carpet, seats all reupholstered (again 14 years ago). Rail wheels (gold faced). Zender body kit with ground effects. Hard top and soft is new too. Its red. Black interior. All new front frame rails. All from new pieces from Mercedes again 14 years ago. I have the old 450 V8 and auto tranny sitting in a corner taking up space with 90K miles on it.. Original cars do not bring today what I have invested in this car. Plus the fact that the Mercedes do not get good gas mileage worth a flip! I do not want to fool with the original engine/trans!!
I have several great shape old style 350's and a good 700R4 tranny.
Any REAL help out there with a phone number. Lets get this thing done
I ain't getting any younger.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Engine swap

If your Mercedes has a V8, they are physically larger than a small block Chevrolet. Universal motor mounts from Speedway Motors should work. A 700R4 should work, Turbo 350 would be easier.

There was a company in Texas named Johns Jaguars, that used to make complete conversion kits for SBC conversions into Jaguars and they also may have made a kit for Mercedes. (I know about this because I had a V12 Jag and they are a nice car once you replace the engine).

One issue is the power steering conversion and the low hood line. I believe Edelbrock makes a low profile Torker II intake for low hood clearance.

Aftermarket oil pan can make it fit. All it takes is some fabrication skills and a medium can of elbow grease!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 AM

Did you mean this guy Wally.
https://jagsthatrun.com/

Old 11-15-2018, 01:37 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,190 Times in 2,678 Posts
The front sump Chevy II/Nova oil pan is 1962-67....1968- newer Nova uses a conventional rear sump car oil pan.

there is also the "hooked sump" notched rear sump pan made to fit the front sump Chevy II chassis….I don't know if it would help you or not but just letting you know it exists. I've used this pan before, in other swap situations, where I cut the "hooked" portion off the front edge of the sump to make more clearance, just welded a plate back over the cut back opening.
There are several manufacturers, I used the cheap Ebay sourced in black electro-deposit coating and was surprised, it was made of thicker steel than a stock pan, nicely stout

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVA-CHEVY-...mE5J:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Race-S...gyK:rk:10:pf:0

Just make sure the pan you choose matches your dipstick location and rear main seal type....you probably won't find a OEM stock type front sump pan to fit passenger side dipstick or 1-peice rear main seal blocks if you have one of those you are planning to use.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Mount your transmission to your driveshaft moving it into place with a transmission jack. Then measure forward from the belhousing face and that will show what will hit suspension wise.

Take some cardboard and cut out the profile of a 350 including carb. There are dimensions online I will link later. Make a front and back cutout then using threaded rod space them and bolt them to your belhousing.

I have the dimensions at the house so you can make your lightweight mock engine.

Once the engine is in you can hold up items like exhaust or accessories to see what will work.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,181 Times in 933 Posts
This is a tight swap but is pretty common. You will find yourself going a lot of mock ups to work out the exact fits.

Basically an early model Chevy II pan and oil pick up will be needed. A short coolant pump and of course matching pulleys and accessory brackets. You'll find for handling you will want to get some weight off the front figure on an aluminum coolant pump, intake manifold, and 23 degree straight plug heads right at the start. Block hugger center outlet headers will just fit. You'll have to fabricate the engine mount space almost demands you use the GM 60 degree V6 mount to buy some space between intake and hood for a carb or injection. You well need a low riser intake like the Professional Products Cyclone.

The battery will go to the trunk you can use a marine terminal under the hood for electrical distribution. You will have to use a short mini oil filter if not a remote filter. Space is tight if not the final frontier. A TH350 or 700R4 should fit but it's tight. Coolant lines and exhaust will be a battle for space, forget the 4L60E there is no space for the wire bundle. By the best mini starter you can afford, you'll never see it again once the engine is installed without engine removal.

The rear mount distributor will forever make you wish you put a 351 Ford in it but then you'd have to install a remote mount electric coolant pump and develop a unique mount and drive system for the other accessories. You need to plan on a small cap distributor with an electronic conversion or something like the ProComp with the external mounted GM type module and vacuum advance.

To make this work, more than anything you have to manage your space precisely.

Bogie
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

First thing to do is remove all the front sheet metal and bumper assembly to allow EZ access to the engine compartment. Label and fasten the wiring harness out of the way as we will need to splice into that for the new engine. Just unplug the harness and use no wire cutters on that.

I would most likely use one of the 5.3 LS with the 4L60 transmission.

This thing makes this job a lot easier.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ler-60659.html

Next thing os that when you get your engine/trans assembly get one that runs well and LEAVE IT ALONE big mistake is made to do engine mods before the engine is mounted in place and running. Found this out the hard way.

Now that the engine compartment is cleaned out and you have the engine supported on your hoist set the engine/trans into place. I have my plasma cutter fired up so if I need to trim a bit I can do that. You can use blocking to hold the engine/trans in position so you ca measure up for the mounts. Make up your mounts and crossmember and get the engine trans bolted in. Then it is a matter of wiring the engine. connecting the fuel system and figuring out about the radiator. Should be good to go at that point.

Sam
Old 11-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Joe Geisler

Searching for readers!!!
I have only older Chevy engines to do this with.
Search my Albums for SOME knowledge about me or my shop.
NOT a Bragger. Just need to get this thing done.Do ANY of you all out there know someone who did this conversion?
Without cutting up the crossmember under the engine? Does the Nova conversion pan for the early six cylinder to v8 conversion assembly work for the SBC in (THIS) conversion?
Old 11-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Chevy dimensions

https://paceperformance.com/p-3990-e...imensions.html

As for front mounted distributors. Go coil on plug and be happy.
Here is a rough reference of a few engines showing overall dimension, weight, distributor and starter location.

Popular American V8 Engine Dimensions
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,107 Posts
Careful there Joe, you're coming across as a SNOT.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
OneMoreTime (11-16-2018), RWENUTS (11-15-2018), studeelover (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

The fact that you have a motor is not a reason to use it. The better answer is to get an LS with coil on plug. Aluminum versions won't weigh any more than the Merc motor. They are dirt cheap these days from wrecking yards. Oil pans for swaps are available everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to joe_padavano For This Useful Post:
studeelover (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:18 PM

Electric conversion is what I would do to an old MB.
I did some SBC/TH350 swaps into Volvo diesel cars in the 1980's because the diesel engine was horrible and blew up.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

How about a picture of the MB oil pan.. Would be helpful. I do think you can find an LS in Branson Mo.

Sam
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
How about a picture of the MB oil pan.. Would be helpful. I do think you can find an LS in Branson Mo.

Sam
Front (with the sump) is to the right.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Looks to me that a Small block ford may be a better choice in that car..

Sam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in