Shop owners - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Shop owners

Shop owners, if you own a body shop this is a must save for and have.

We use MEK, N.butyl acetate to clean the mixing vats when done with a batch of whatever we are making.
If were using the 80 gallon for paint colors it will take 10 gallons for a fist cleaning and another 10 for a second cleaning.

The 350 gallon vat you start with 55 gallons, now if your careful you can use some of these pails 3-4 times for cleaning.

Well my build up was getting where I needed to call waste disposal to pick some up and that is expensive as with what I had it would run about $2,000.

So Thursday purchased a re-cycler and when done working Saturday we dumped 5 gallons of orange yellow mud in the re-cycler and put a new 5 gallon pail underneath.
This morning in the top liner I had about 5 lbs of orange and yellow cake but the bottom pail was like new and you could smell the mixture of MEK and NBA
in it.
These thing range from $4,000 - $100,000 and the one I bought is a 220 volt with a capacity of 6+ gallons as once we catch up over the next month we can stay caught up pretty easy.
I would think for a shop owner it would pay for itself in a year with the cost of gun cleaners.

In my research you want to stay away from the 110 volt ones and need to make sure its certified to be ran in open building as some can only be used in paint approved rooms.

A long term money saver for sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

The fiberglass shop I worked at had bought a recyclene R-14 solvent recovery still in 82 or 83. It's temp could be set for different solvents, we used it for acetone. We'd pour 14 gallons of filthy acetone full of suspended resin, gelcoat bondo glop and fibers and about 8 hours later we'd have 10 or 12 gallons of nice clean acetone and 2 or 3 gallons of solid dry waste that could be accepted at a landfill. Because there were no solvents left it was considered inert. The amount of clean solvent returned would depend on how dirty the initial load was.
We would recycle acetone from other shops and they considered it a favor, as they did not have to pay to dispose of it. We'd sell it back to them for 75% of new cost and everyone would win

That still paid for itself in less than a year and is still in service today.

We never put corn squeezins in it though.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-24-2006, 02:05 PM
[email protected]

One shop that I worked in had a recycler. They used it regularly to recycle the lacquer thinner from the gun cleaner and such. I worked out a 2 for 1 deal with them. I'd bring in 2 gallons of the dirty stuff, and they give 1 of the clean stuff. Sure miss that deal!

Aaron

Old 12-24-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike

Later, mikey
----------------------------
LOL!
Yea its nothing more than a legal still but I don't think it gets hot enough for moon shine, of course I would have no idea how hot it should get to do corn right.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:40 AM

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle

Barry if you can. let us know what brand recycler you have, i'm really curious as some of them don't the solvent as clean as the others, I know a good recycler will actually make the solvent more potent over time, Like when you recycle that batch after your next cleaning it should be stronger with a good system.. but just what i've observed.. let me know what you come up with.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:32 AM

Interesting Chad, I had never thought of that.
Could not stand it so ran in and did a QC on one of the five gallons that had been done.
There was no change BUT the two solvents mixed together are the higher end and more expensive solvent but comparing the mixed batch QC to the QC of the individual batches when they are delivered there was no change in graph.

However your cheap grades like lacquer thinner that is used for gun wash there would be a change as a lot of these solvents would come with 8,000 to maybe 20,000 parts per million of water and of course the water is going to be the first thing to go on the cooking cycle.

This is a Uniram 900, Baker had bought a bunch for a special deal three years ago at a nace show and he had two left and the price had gone up three times since so figured I could not go wrong.

Edit:
Pictures.
History of this five gallons, it was used as a final clean for a clear twice then used as a first cleaning for flattening agent three times then used as a first cleaning for red and a yellow paint. Each cleaner has a log to we can get maximum use for the money.
Leftover from cooking, 5 gals added and the net result, look like potential Xmas cookies!

I should add the I did fill a five gallon pail up, not to mislead that the mixing cup was all that came out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recycle 001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	17119   Click image for larger version

Name:	recycle 002.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	17120   Click image for larger version

Name:	recycle 004.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	17121  

Last edited by BarryK; 12-25-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:33 AM
[email protected]

I don't understand how they can get hot enough to recycle the solvent and not melt the bags. Must be some kind of magic. LOL

Aaron
Old 12-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
win

That still paid for itself in less than a year and is still in service today.

Later, mikey
About 185 degrees for corn mash.. don't ask how I know..

I would imagine the solvent re-cycler works the same way...runs at a temp that evaporates the solvent and then goes to a condenser and then to the bucket..leaving the other stuff behind..

Sam
Old 12-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
About 185 degrees for corn mash.. don't ask how I know..

I would imagine the solvent re-cycler works the same way...runs at a temp that evaporates the solvent and then goes to a condenser and then to the bucket..leaving the other stuff behind..

Sam
It's ok if you were making it for..cough, "medicinal" purposes.

Ours was really simple. A double boiler, consisting of an oil immersed electric heating element with a thermostat, the dirty solvent tank was directly above the heated tank. The lid had a hole that went to a coiled copper tube that was soldered to another copper tube. The second tube had cool water running through it to condense the vapors where they were collected in a tank. We could set the vapor thermostat where ever we wanted, acetone was 140* F and it would leave any water in the waste. I think that solvents with multiple ingredients will behave differently, dpending on the mixture and boiling points of the individual ingredients..

The bags are the same stuff as the "bake in" bags that people use for cooking.

Chug -A- Lug, chug-a -lug.... Makes you wanna holler Hi-de-Ho, burns yer tummy don't ya know, chug a lug chugalug

Merry christmas
Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 12-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

And there was Thunder...Thunder, over Thunder Road.....Thunder was his engine and White Lightening was his load. Moonshine, moonshine quenched the Devils thirst....the law they swore they'd get us but the Devil got us first! Ha ha ha................................................ .Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2006, 05:16 PM

This one will not do Acetone or nitrocellulose as minimum Temp is 175 and tank will go to 375. Higher temps are needed for the slower flash solvents, you can do with 140 but it would take say 4 hours for a five gallon pail where I think right now its taking about 90 minutes.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Chad,
I was 1/2 wrong or is that 1/2 right?

I bought the cheapest gallon of gun cleaner I could find today.
I did a QC and a fisher for water content.

What you say is right but after cooking water content went down from 17,000 parts per million to 7,000 parts, so it did not lose all as I said it would.
The QC showed almost all the mineral spirits in the can disappeared. Left about 10% of original amount best I can tell.

Whatever, you are right the cheaper would get stronger.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle

Just caught this one again barry, but from the pic you showed of the clean solvent, it looks like you have one that is doing a good job, I know a few shops that have a 140 machine and it doesn't come out that clean, either a light brown, or a bunch of things floating in it. This was brought to my attn as one shop I went to was complaining of their recycler, I had to check it out as i was thinking of purchasing one at one time, that made me re-think the whole situation, But it looks like the higher output does the trick. I do know that the stuff that was getting recycled by a company that had a safety kleen co's recycler was coming out really strong.. it burn your nose almost, but it would sure clean a gun. and you wouldn't have that build up at the tip everytime you went to paint.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 PM

The brown thinner is caused by cooking at a too high of a temp, have them back it off five degrees at a time.

As far as floaters they need to watch what they are dumping into the cooking process could be CAB's from the base and all they need to do is strain off as they will not break themselves back down and cause any problems, they will appear white colored if they ar CAB's.

Biggest problem we have had after cooking around a 120 gallons has been
the mixtures of NBA. MEK, TOL all cook at a different rate so to low nothing happens and to high the unit shuts itself down so each batch were adjusting as we go because we do not know how much of what solvent is in that batch.
Have learned from here on out only addition when needed with be MEK to make the cooking process easier.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in