Here is the latest thing I used. Painting wheels has always been a PITA for me. I have tried hanging them, bolting them to an old axle, spreading them out on a table etc etc. I always have managed to get paint on my hands, runs, two day jobs etc. I was dreading painting the 5 new wheels for the 37 Pick Up project (see my journal), but JB, who is not a car guy, came up with an ideal that worked slick. He built a jig from scrap OSB and cut 5 sections of carpet roll tubes. He then split each one so he could twist them to fit in the axle/spindle hole. After inserting them into the 5 rims, we laid them out on saw horses and the "big tool" buggy. He would place a rim in the jig and I would proceed to paint it while turning the tube. When I finished a coat, he would remove the wheel by lifting each end of the tube and put it back in place on the saw horses/"big tool" and place another rim in the jig. It took less time to paint the rims with two coats than to mix the paint and clean up.