Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - show me your home made tools so I can copy them!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,659 Times in 4,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Here is the latest thing I used. Painting wheels has always been a PITA for me. I have tried hanging them, bolting them to an old axle, spreading them out on a table etc etc. I always have managed to get paint on my hands, runs, two day jobs etc. I was dreading painting the 5 new wheels for the 37 Pick Up project (see my journal), but JB, who is not a car guy, came up with an ideal that worked slick. He built a jig from scrap OSB and cut 5 sections of carpet roll tubes. He then split each one so he could twist them to fit in the axle/spindle hole. After inserting them into the 5 rims, we laid them out on saw horses and the "big tool" buggy. He would place a rim in the jig and I would proceed to paint it while turning the tube. When I finished a coat, he would remove the wheel by lifting each end of the tube and put it back in place on the saw horses/"big tool" and place another rim in the jig. It took less time to paint the rims with two coats than to mix the paint and clean up.

Trees
Let me share with you the ultimate trick to painting wheels, mount the tire first! Yep, prime the wheel, paint the inside if you want. Then mount your tire but don't bead it. Just mount it leaving it loose on the rim. Now you can easily mask it off tucking the paper into the rim. After painting the outside you fill up the tire beading it! No scratches in your new paint, pretty as a peach.

Brian