SI alternator to CS130d - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SI alternator to CS130d

I've got an 85 chevy truck that I recently switched to a serpentine setup. Every thing works great except the alternator is not charging. I know I have some wiring to straighten out and I hope someone can help.. What I have now is a plug with a brown wire and a red wire and a red wire that goes to the back of my SI alt. I assume that the wire on the back of the SI goes to the back of the cs130d... my new plug is S I L P. I also changed my cluster over to guages and did away with the battery light in the dash. Now does the brown wire go to the "L" terminal of the new plug with a resistor wired in, and does the "I" terminal get the red wire from the old SI plug. I understand that it needs and ignition source, but is it a "live all the time" source or just when the ignition is on? Ive been reading different articles all week and can't figure it out, electrical isn't my thing. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 AM

google is your friend

Just taggin this thread

I need to do the same thing for the same reason.
Here is a link that will explain it, although I have not personally followed it yet.

http://photos.imageevent.com/durango...%20Install.pdf

Good Luck.

Last edited by weedy64; 04-14-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler
I've got an 85 chevy truck that I recently switched to a serpentine setup. Every thing works great except the alternator is not charging. I know I have some wiring to straighten out and I hope someone can help.. What I have now is a plug with a brown wire and a red wire and a red wire that goes to the back of my SI alt. I assume that the wire on the back of the SI goes to the back of the cs130d... my new plug is S I L P. I also changed my cluster over to guages and did away with the battery light in the dash. Now does the brown wire go to the "L" terminal of the new plug with a resistor wired in, and does the "I" terminal get the red wire from the old SI plug. I understand that it needs and ignition source, but is it a "live all the time" source or just when the ignition is on? Ive been reading different articles all week and can't figure it out, electrical isn't my thing. Thanks.
Go to NAPA and get P/N EC82, which is a jumper harness designed exactly for this swap. This particular part has the resistor already in it and plugs directly into the CS130 alternator and the existing SI-series harness. It costs about $17.

If you'd rather splice the wires yourself, the "L" terminal on the CS130 plug goes to the brown wire on the old harness (with a 35 ohm resistor if you don't have an idiot light) and the "S" terminal on the plug goes to the red wire in the harness. That's all there is to it. The large red battery wire goes to the threaded stud, just like it did on the SI alternator.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Wiki Edits: 1616

I found this page to have everything I needed, info-wise. Might help you, too.

Delco resistor-equipped adapter plug is AC Delco 8078.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM

I think I've got everything hooked up right, but I'm wondering about a ground wire.. My old SI had a ground from the battery to the alternator bracket, but do I need to ground the new one. If so, where do I ground it from, seeing as the new bracket appears to be aluminum or white metal.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM

no, you should need to ground the alternator case.. tho I've heard good arguments for doing it.. problaby good reason why GM attached the ground cable to the alt. bracket too.

i connected my CS130's large red wire (in the 4 plug connector) directly to the battery stud on the back of the alternator, and the "L" term goes to the idiot light in the dash.

I'm running this in a '72 Monte Carlo with no issues...

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in