Sioux Valve and Seat Grinder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2016, 02:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sioux Valve and Seat Grinder

I just picked up a complete valve and seat grinder set with all the stones, dressing tools and cabinetry, Sioux model # 680 valve facer. Does anyone know what it is worth? It is in "like new" condition.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 PM

I use one every work day. A good machine.. Nice ones are $2000.-2500.00.: For the valve facer.. The seat grinder/stone set can vary greatly depending on the stone driver and quantity of pilots and stones.. thumbup:
Old 09-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

Sioux Valve Refacer and Valve Seat Grinding Stones

https://www.goodson.com/Valve-Seat-Stones/

having one of those if you know how to grind valve seats and faces can be a money maker.

you may want to lay out all the pilots and make a list of the sizes and types..

there are solid tapered pilots.. there are expanding pilots of several kinds..

stone holders.. stones by size and angle.

my set up is a true antique.. it still uses hex drive.. instead of spline drive..

i got tired of cotton belts and put a micro V belt on it..

this thing is almost portable.. probably 120 pounds.. where your 680 probably weighs 200 pounds.

some of the members here will know what this is..

only a few might have seen one of these..

its a flat head carbon scraper.. frees up the valve seat and the where the guide shells go into the block on flat heads..

these do come in handy.. Dyno Don Nickelsons set went up for sale after his passing not too long ago.. but i have what i need..

Old 09-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Trust me, the 680 weighs more than 200 pounds. Just the empty cabinet weighs almost 100 pounds. It took two of us to put the grinder on the cabinet and place it for the retaining clips. Then there were two boxes of accessories that store in the cabinet. I don't plan on making a business out of grinding valves but I can at least make sure mine are done right. I like 5 angle grinds on the seats and radius grinds on the valves.

I picked the whole thing up for $600. I just couldn't walk away.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 PM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTech View Post
Trust me, the 680 weighs more than 200 pounds. Just the empty cabinet weighs almost 100 pounds. It took two of us to put the grinder on the cabinet and place it for the retaining clips. Then there were two boxes of accessories that store in the cabinet. I don't plan on making a business out of grinding valves but I can at least make sure mine are done right. I like 5 angle grinds on the seats and radius grinds on the valves.

I picked the whole thing up for $600. I just couldn't walk away.
that's not a bad price for it .. it sounds great. only one thing with a used unit..

please set up some indicator roller and check the individual pilots for bends. if you find one.. paint it red or put a wire twisted thru it so you don't accidently use it. i made that mistake at a former shop.. other worker said here use this pilot. worst.. he let me grind thru 6 heads i had one the bench with it. boss actually found out and fired him. also the reason i have my own kit..
Old 09-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Yes, I have dial indicators and V blocks to check the straightness. I even have a tool to straighten them if I decide it is worth it.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTech View Post
Yes, I have dial indicators and V blocks to check the straightness. I even have a tool to straighten them if I decide it is worth it.
i ran into various issues in several engine rebuilding shops i worked at..

i ran into issues in the boring and honing room. the sunnen dial bore gauge setting standards had divots in the ends from rubbing against the carbide balls for years and years.. then i found the proto torque wrenches on monday morning at 7 am set to 65 to 110 foot pounds.. i checked against my beam type craftman.. then my new click type craftsman.. they were 10, 15 and 20 pounds off at 65 foot pounds.. i got a wall mounted torque wrench tester.. so they could use that till i could get them 3 new torque wrenches. within 30 minutes they had taken it off the wall and threw it at me.. 30 minutes later i gave up. you cannot teach people with over 20 years working there anything.

another shop had a crack in the floor under and behind the block master.. i had to spend 20 minutes changing shims to get it level every few days.. then it rained during the time i was there.. saw water running down the wall.. across the floor and into the crack.. swelling the soil below the slab..
Old 09-25-2016, 03:59 PM

Shop I worked at for about 6 or 7 years had a homebrew surfacing machine. Bolted to a wood floor.
Best machine I'd ever used. 15 years later and I'm still using that machine. It will true up heads, blocks, and manifolds, better than anything I've seen or used.
What I found so amazing is that it's about 50 years old, and still get's within a couple thousandths.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:34 PM

I also used a surfacing machine built in 1950. An AMC (Denmark) 14" head.. The thing was used every day since new and still was right on. Great, heavy cast steel bed and carriage. The lead screw died and I had to modify an 8' piece of Acme thread and fit to machine.. Checked the ways and they were perfect except at the very end of travel.. It got to where the stones were almost impossible to get and the manufacturer went out of business about 2008. So it was semi-retired.. Still like the stone ground finish it left..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in