site dieing or just slow atm? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Questions
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,354 Posts
site dieing or just slow atm?

Ive noticed recently that there are not as many new posts as before? Im referring to engine and basic hodrodding threads,as thats where I spend most of my time.
Im sure losing a couple key members is a big influence. I believe some threads get randomly moved around/redirected. Also noticed a few one post wonders lately.
Maybe as a whole we can make things better? Or maybe Im wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 12:38 AM

Location: in the land of Trolls at least till the san andreas releases the big one

holiday weekend effect.. everybody is with families or traveling.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69612 For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 05:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

I think you are correct Vinnie, as little as I want to admit it........There are just too many other outlets out there (Facebook, Twitter etc) for people to get online with these days. Everyone seems to do everything on their phone these days, which makes something as large and complex as a forum harder to do.
Just my opinion anyways
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (12-01-2015)

Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

It comes and goes.. No worries here..

Sam
vinniekq2 (12-01-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

I agree with Poncho about the various other outlets competing for people's time spent on the 'net/forums. Then there is the fact that folks just can't easily build cars these days with the scarcity of decent raw materials, costs involved and the dreaded government regulations. It costs in the neighborhood of $50,000 to build anything that is roadworthy, looks good and performs well - and that price goes up and up and becomes a discretionary item for your dollars when baby needs a pair of shoes, momma needs a new stove and you may need a better job. Then if you can't for some reason or don't have the skill sets or a place to work, you just quietly bow out or you go to your local dealer and buy a new Mustang/Camaro/Challenger or, gasp, a ricer for less money, equal or better performance and a 3 to ten year warranty. As far as site contributors - many changes/departures in the 10 years I've been here - and I have to say that there really aren't a lot of interesting (to me, anyhow) new posts. How many can you read that ask which camshaft/ignition/Chevy engine/differential/Ford W/paint brand/etc can you answer before you just say the heck with it - and a reason that much of what I look at are in the Off Topic or General forums.

Soldier on if you can - I'm sure it isn't going to get any better in the foreseeable future

Dave W
vinniekq2 (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:45 AM

I can see every ones point,,,
Are we face book friendly?
Any ideas for improvements? I wish we could all race together,,,,I would test and tune with a group. We live all over the place,I know. Good thing here is A&W drive-ins sponsor weekly events where we all bring our cars. We spent $50.00 and they sell hamburgers.Not much like the 70s where a little trash talk promoted a little comparative driving.
Ane especially what Irelands child says, spend 50k to fix up an older car to make it slightly less impressive than almost any new car with 400 plus horse power and better every thing else in the cars we own.
Also wish I had a sponsor like some of the ricer drivers. Go to a high school and look in the students parking lot

watch out for those Hondas
Old 12-02-2015, 12:39 AM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,804 Posts
For what it's worth, I notice every year it slows down in November and December (as people live and finance the holidays), then picks back up a little in January and even more in February (as early tax return filers start to get their checks ). and builders start to see the spring approaching.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (12-10-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Last journal entry: test

It's the holiday season so we expect a slow down on all our sites. People get caught up with shopping/family/traveling etc.

~Marie, Community Support
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Ive noticed recently that there are not as many new posts as before? Im referring to engine and basic hodrodding threads,as thats where I spend most of my time.
Im sure losing a couple key members is a big influence. I believe some threads get randomly moved around/redirected. Also noticed a few one post wonders lately.
I'm curious Vinny, what makes you believe the post moves are random?

I see you are advising members that their post might be moved.

— Han Solo
Old 12-10-2015, 03:43 PM

Budget Big block build - 77 camaro, 8100?
what wd your change in my build - 350 street car
Comparing current cam to custom grind spec's I just recieved

moved to hot rodding basics

305 vs 350 both carb which gives better mpg?
Thick vs. Thin oil pan gasket?
1986 700R4 4x4
Is something missing?
Help me to select correct exhaust pipe size
Poor fuel mileage with 98 Silverado

and more that should be moved to "basics"
Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

OK some history,

The Hotrodding basics forum was my idea, the engine forum was cluttered with simple questions...so much so that new posts often ran two to three pages and the meat was getting buried.

Its human nature to not read beyond the first page.

We created the new forum but it quickly became apparent nobody wants to think their question is "basic".

So I started moving them, slowly at first to allow a progressive change and then more quickly and more times a day. As is typical it is always a judgement call on whats considered "basic" so I began moving after they had time to garner a few answers from more knowledgeable members so they had exposure before moving.

If that exposure created more advanced discussions and the OP provided more specific info which moved the question out of the realm of "basic" I would leave them. As you can imagine it was a learning process and gut instinct more or less decided time frames and stale dating took effect as responses declined. Often a move created more responses from those people who frequent a particular forum. Sometimes it was simply an informational thread that less experienced members would read and not participate.

How did I come up with this algorithm? I looked at reads and responses, highly scientific I know...but after doing it for a number of years you get a feel for it. The other part of this equation is I and other moderators have lives, real day to day things that mean I don't sit on hotrodders clicking refresh every 10 minutes waiting for new posts.

The reality is none of this really matters, posts moving from forum to forum gets it more exposure which can only be beneficial to the OP, keeping it in the original forum for a period of time calms the ruffled feathers of those who might be offended with a move especially to basics. Honestly I don't give it much thought everyday, I and others move them as they become stale and are obvious basic questions...sometimes they stay.

In one way what we are doing is keeping the basics forum alive and fresh while allowing exposure in the engine forum, I've noticed many of your listed threads are less than a day old or only two...some I moved like the transmission post but again not old by any stretch...remember I do have a job and family as do the other mods.

In general we don't get excited about these things, they are tweaks just like an idle mixture adjustment...not going to change the outcome of the race and only makes thing smoother and drive nicer in traffic.

Hope this helps explain whay we do what we do, and try not to read too much into it.

— Han Solo
Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 PM

I appreciate the explanation

when is your car engine finished and running?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The 350 needs parts which means money, with the purchase of the 2014 Challenger R/T I am realizing what I should have bought was a Hellcat so I could have my cake and eat it too. My current priority is to finish the RX7 to finance the purchase of a Hellcat. The Grannys engine mount kit arrived a month ago so the engine has been in and out a couple times now doing fitting.

The new thing is my oldest boy has got the bug too, we just purchased an old school built 289 and C4 trans for his 1998 Ranger 2wd...don't ask me why but helping him doing his V8 conversion is more interesting...probably because I see that light in his eyes when I am helping him.

Here is a pic of the 289, Cam dynamics 282 cam, double valve springs with screw in studs and hardened seats. Guy advertised it as a "race engine" and no other info. Went and looked and took a chance, he wasn't joking as it has pop-up forged pistons and already had the bronco pan for the swap. With trans we picked it up for $350CDN and started tearing it down this week, pistons need machining since with the 66-289 heads compression is north of 11.5:1 which won't work on the street. Shockingly it needs nothing and has probably only a few thousand KM on it, someone sank a lot of money into it back in the early eighties which is when he said it was built...sat in his garage since then.

Too many projects and not enough time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	289 SBF.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	261154  

— Han Solo
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 Jaw Chuck For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 09:34 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
there's a lot more talking than doing on these forums. I find that on other forums you see a guy's work and instantly know if he's full of crap or not. Don't get me wrong though, there's some valuable tips and insight on this site.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
there's a lot more talking than doing on these forums. I find that on other forums you see a guy's work and instantly know if he's full of crap or not. Don't get me wrong though, there's some valuable tips and insight on this site.
This site always has been a first stop for many beginners, its the nature of the beast. With that comes lots of basic questions and members who never post again after their initial question.

I do like helping people where I can and I learn something new here everyday, for instance on one thread in the engine forum regarding thick or thin oil pan gaskets I had no idea there are two different styles required for the BB Dodge depending on year and application. Probably basic knowledge for those who build them...but not to me.

I don't do this as a business, its always been a hobby and there have been times I went another direction such as boating or snowmobiling but I've always brought hotrodding with me to make those hobbies faster in some way.

Its a sickness, once a rodder...always a rodder.

— Han Solo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in