Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Skip White Heads BBC
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 12:45 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
I know the pictures at summit are not always the actual product, but if the size 4.540 Eric suggested is like it looks, I believe they would work. The fire rings are just about touching each other. Is there any problem going a little larger so I get it good the first (well the second) time? Eric, did you choose that size because of my measurement of it hanging in the air .030? Or just from experience?

Sorry, I must have missed the jesel length checker. I got two Jegs brand ones. One is too short to use for either rod and the longer one wasn't long enough for the exhaust, so I got a grade 5 1/4" 28 bolt 2" long and ground the head into the shape of a push rod end. It didn't bend the bolt so I guess that is OK.

Rod length checking, is the pattern on the valve stem the only thing to go by? Or should I be checking the rocker angle too? I wasn't paying attention to the rocker angle just the tip and the mark it left in the black sharpie marker. I didn't feel any binding. Come to think of it, I have a sort of dumb plastic rod length checker that slides onto the rocker stud. I'm going to compare my measurements to that just to see if they are close. If it's way off I'll look at things again. If it's close I'll assume I got it right.

I don't know about 3rd gear chirp, it used to do it sometimes with street tires with the old converter, but not with the 3K 10". Yes, I know, my convertor sucks. I would really like to try my old 1500 one again to compare times but I'm sort of out of my loop of friends when it comes to hot rodding and doing a swap like that is a B!T(H by myself.
Are you using the Straub/Foxwell video method to set the correct rocker geometry....or one of those wrong methods using just "center the rocker contact on the valvestem tip" methods that were never correct??
sounds like you are using "centered tip" method from what you posted