Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Skip White Heads BBC
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:45 AM
True Hotrodder

Wiki Edits: 0

Normally when we are talking about a slick track and no bite it's simply cold or minimal prep. I guess about the only thing you could do would be to compare notes with friends at the track and see if they fell off their normal too.

I raced Super Stock for a bit with a partner that owned the '55 Sedan Delivery. The engine was punched out to 292 and we had to use stock heads but they were reworked a bit from out of Ohio. I don't remember the exact compression ratio but factory numbers put it at 10.5 - honestly don't think we were close to that as we had to mix race fuel with unleaded to get it to perform. Straight race gas would turn it into a pig but a mix of 25% race to unleaded made a huge difference.

There is one trick you can play using a compression tester. Understand that after you do this, you need to verify valve to piston clearance. You said you already took some readings. Move the cam a couple of degrees, always turn the engine over by hand at least two revolutions if you think you're close on clearance but check the compression numbers. Keep at it until you get the highest compression numbers and you have adequate clearance. Typically the best compression numbers are going to indicate the best position for the cam. You may have to make everything else work with it but that's part of the game.