Skip White SBC 383 rotating assembly review - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2016, 06:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Skip White SBC 383 rotating assembly review

I thought I'd pass this along because I'm sure there are plenty of people wondering if these Skip White rotating assemblies that are on Ebay are a good deal.
First off, I needed a small block Chevy for a 51 Studebaker truck I picked up. I decided it would be a perfect candidate for a 383 and decided to try one of these rotating assemblies. This is going to be a STREET DRIVEN vehicle not raced. I wanted something that sounded mean, pulled hard, and was very streetable. The truck will have a 2004r transmission, 2000 stall converter, and 3.42 gears. I opted for the 24cc reverse dome pistons and I will be using Vortec heads (camshaft has yet to be determined).
So I stripped a virgin (never been taken apart or rebuilt) 1970 350 4 bolt main block and took it to my local machine shop to have it cleaned, checked for cracks, line bored, and to see what oversize the bore will clean up at. A week later they called me and said it cleaned up at .030 over. So I went on Ebay and ordered the rotating assembly. They gave me a delivery time of about 1 1/2 -2 weeks. It showed up a day short of 2 weeks. It came in two boxes (crank in a separate box) and everything was in good shape. I unboxed everything and it is all legit stuff with all the factory instructions. It also had a packing list and a balance sheet. I took one piston and the clearance specs to my machine shop for final cylinder to piston clearance.
Couple days later I got a call that the block was done. I picked up the block and did a mock up to see what the deck height was. Now Skip White advertises that he has these Wiseco pistons made special with a taller pin to piston top height so only around .010 needs to be taken off the deck to get the pistons at zero deck height. I found that the left side deck height was .004-.008 front to back and the right side was .007- .018 front to back. So I think I'm just going to use a .038 thick head gasket and not have it decked and call it good. I switched the highest with the lowest pistons and nothing changed so I know its in the deck.
This is just a heads up that these rotating assemblies are a good deal but might not work if your block has already been decked or decked to 9.00 like some machine shops do.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 06:47 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,879 Times in 2,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpd66 View Post
I found that the left side deck height was .004-.008 front to back and the right side was .007- .018 front to back. So I think I'm just going to use a .038 thick head gasket and not have it decked and call it good. I switched the highest with the lowest pistons and nothing changed so I know its in the deck.
This is just a heads up that these rotating assemblies are a good deal but might not work if your block has already been decked or decked to 9.00 like some machine shops do.
I think you're making a mistake. Register the block on the mains and cut both decks to zero. Starting off a build with a lolly-gagged deck height is not the hot tip in the old techinspector1 playbook. If the block is lolly-gagged, the heads will be lolly-gagged on the block and the intake manifold doesn't have a prayer of sitting square on the heads and has little chance of sealing up with the head ports. This motor, if you put it together like that, will undoubtedly suck oily crankcase vapors into the cylinders and foul plugs with regularity.

Cut the decks to zero and use a Fel-Pro 1003 head gasket to generate a 0.041" squish/quench. The same gasket is what you want to use when you change over to aluminum heads later on.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I think you're making a mistake. Register the block on the mains and cut both decks to zero. Starting off a build with a lolly-gagged deck height is not the hot tip in the old techinspector1 playbook. If the block is lolly-gagged, the heads will be lolly-gagged on the block and the intake manifold doesn't have a prayer of sitting square on the heads and has little chance of sealing up with the head ports. This motor, if you put it together like that, will undoubtedly suck oily crankcase vapors into the cylinders and foul plugs with regularity.

Cut the decks to zero and use a Fel-Pro 1003 head gasket to generate a 0.041" squish/quench. The same gasket is what you want to use when you change over to aluminum heads later on.
So..... When #2 piston is .007 in the hole and #8 is .018 in the hole how much do you take off to get zero deck height?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,879 Times in 2,152 Posts
Quote:
So..... When #2 piston is .007 in the hole and #8 is .018 in the hole how much do you take off to get zero deck height?
You want to cut the block decks to the main bearing bore, not the piston crowns. You begin with the lightest cut at #2. When you lay the block into the mill, you will register it on the main bearing bore and the mill will cut from there. It will cut 0.007" off the block at the #2 hole and as the cutter goes to the rear, it will cut 0.018" off the block at the #8 hole because the block will be angled up going to the rear. In this way, the piston deck height will be zero on all cylinders, assuming the piston/rod/crank throws are all the same, cylinder to cylinder. Then you use a Fel-Pro 1003 head gasket to make a 0.041" squish/quench and all is right with the world. In this way, you will be set up to use either iron or aluminum heads and the squish/quench will be right for either. Use the same gasket for either one.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
You want to cut the block decks to the main bearing bore, not the piston crowns. You begin with the lightest cut at #2. When you lay the block into the mill, you will register it on the main bearing bore and the mill will cut from there. It will cut 0.007" off the block at the #2 hole and as the cutter goes to the rear, it will cut 0.018" off the block at the #8 hole because the block will be angled up going to the rear. In this way, the piston deck height will be zero on all cylinders, assuming the piston/rod/crank throws are all the same, cylinder to cylinder. Then you use a Fel-Pro 1003 head gasket to make a 0.041" squish/quench and all is right with the world. In this way, you will be set up to use either iron or aluminum heads and the squish/quench will be right for either. Use the same gasket for either one.
I understand they will mount the block by the main bearing bore to cut the deck square to the main bearing bore. The way I see it the right side deck (the one that is .007 in front and .018 in the back) is .011 out of square with the main bearing bore (that will make it square with the main bearing bore) and then another .007 to zero deck it. So .018 off the deck will square it and have the pistons at zero deck height. The other side #1 piston is .004 in the hole and #8 is .008 in the hole. So .004 to square it and another .004 to bring it to zero deck height. Am I right. I'm going to take the block in this week to get the decks cut.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:02 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,736 Posts
Quote:
I understand they will mount the block by the main bearing bore to cut the deck square to the main bearing bore. The way I see it the right side deck (the one that is .007 in front and .018 in the back) is .011 out of square with the main bearing bore (that will make it square with the main bearing bore) and then another .007 to zero deck it. So .018 off the deck will square it and have the pistons at zero deck height. The other side #1 piston is .004 in the hole and #8 is .008 in the hole. So .004 to square it and another .004 to bring it to zero deck height. Am I right. I'm going to take the block in this week to get the decks cut.
That is correct
Old 09-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

If the shop can, its better to index the cam bore because you cam move the decks and main bores a little but you can't move the cam bore without going to 50mm cam.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in