Spark Plug Wire Crimping Tool Recommendation? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Wiki Edits: 0

Spark Plug Wire Crimping Tool Recommendation?

I need to custom fabricate a set of spark plug wires for my BBC. I hate doing this because I can never get a "clean" crimp on the terminal to the wire and it always gets loose. A buddy had suggested getting a ratcheting crimping tool to do the job. I have looked up some on the internet, and they basically look the same, but major cost swing between a number of them. SO can anybody suggest a crimping tool that doesn't cost an arm-n-a leg AND does a real GOOD job!?? ...AND that have used, or seen used! THX! ...Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM

Third reply in this thread.
Where to buy the crimper with instructions.
Iīve used it many times with excellent results.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine

Hey as long as your looking for a GOOD spark Plug Cable Crimper.....Why not spend a little more and buy a multi-use crimper that has exchangeable dies to crimp almost all automotive electrical connectors and plugs. I wish I would have started out on the right foot, but instead i bought one crimper at a time, which is aggravating, expensive and not the smartest way to go. Chalk it up to in-experience and no one to steer me right. This is what I'm trying to do for you and others that read this post. Steer you right.
The crimper I'm referring to is a multi task crimper that is sold sometimes on E-Bay. I'm sorry I don't have the name hear, I keep my tools at the shop, but It's available with 3-4 crimping heads or a complete kit of 8 or 9 heads. The tool body is a very high quality ratcheting style crimper, it works great and I use it all the time on my many projects. I bought the one with all the inter-changeable heads, that way I have it all and don't have to worry about that part of the business any more. The thing crimps insulated and non-insulated terminals, spark plug cables, coax cables, several different styles of pin terminals (weather pack, ford, and other connectors) Bare copper lugs, several communication type terminals like CAT 5, Telephone and J cables, I know I'm forgetting several others, but the main thing is this is a great, quality tool that I have enjoyed for the last 2-3 years and takes care of all my connection and terminal needs. The ratchet crimper is high quality and makes a very sturdy crimp, you can not make a bad crimp with this tool, just the thing to have around.
Thgis crimper is not cheap, it sell for about $250-275, with all the heads, or cheaper if you only want one or two heads. The point is, it will save you money and time, which is something we all like to save on.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Hey THX guys for your replies!
yknot ...I didn't want to spend bu co money on something I may use once or twice a year. And actually I saw something called a Longacre Weather pack crimper https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...ack_Connectors ...Looks like it has multiple dies and it'll cut the $250 mark in half. Still too rich for my blood.

malc ...Now this is what I'm look for! Vice mounted, so you'll get a solid crimp (maybe have to be careful with doing it too hard?) and a reasonable price. THX!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 AM

"malc ...Now this is what I'm look for! Vice mounted, so you'll get a solid crimp (maybe have to be careful with doing it too hard?) and a reasonable price. THX!"

You canīt overdo it, once the crimper has closed up thatīs it there ainīt no more.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM

Most of the higher quality spark plug wire kits come with a crimping fixture that you use with a vise and they work pretty well. To echo what has already been said, you do not want to over crimp, especially on silicone wires.

If your crimped wires are pulling loose perhaps you need to modify your method of removal. Never pull on the wire to remove it from the spark plug. Always grasp the boot, twist and pull. It also helps if you apply a little dab of dielectric grease to the spark plug boot before you put it on a plug.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 11-11-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:04 PM

302 Z28 ...I know about NOT pulling the wires, but even if you grab the boot to pull sometimes you can feel the boot slip and basically you end up pulling the wire. I've just never had a "good" tool to do the crimping, so never felt good about how well the wire performed during operation. I liked the pre-fab kits, but there were always wires too long or a bit too short! Hence the universal kits, but then your back to the same old problem. But with a crimping tool that really works ...problem ended! Looking forward to try this new crimping tool ...got it on order today! *G*
Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 PM

"If your crimped wires are pulling loose perhaps you need to modify your method of removal. Never pull on the wire to remove it from the spark plug. Always grasp the boot, twist and pull. It also helps if you apply a little dab of dielectric grease to the spark plug boot before you put it on a plug."

If you make up your own wires you crimp the terminal on the distributor end of the wire not the spark plug end.
They are already installed.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in