stationary malibu wagon rear window - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

stationary malibu wagon rear window

I have a 78 malibu wagon .The the rear windows are stationary.Why is that?can i put in windows that lower?You know like from a four door.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Probably.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I had an 81 malibu 4 door, the rear windows didn't roll down either. It did have quarter windows in the back 2 doors though that would swing out and open, like on the older trucks and stuff.

Maybe a 78-87 lemans, or another Gbody will have the roll down windows so you can convert, but I doubt you will find something in the malibu line.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:36 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Wiki Edits: 22

saw this post yesterday, pondered it and tried to research it on the web

today went to burber king, saw a caprice coupe, it had the "vent window" rear doors .... oother side of the lot was the same body style, cept it was an olds (i think) .... but ITS rear door glass was ONE piece

since the olds line was always was supposedly a step up in quality and options from the chevy line, maybe its a good place to look ?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Wiki Edits: 9

None of the A/G body sedans had rolldown windows from 78-84 and maybe later (I just haven't found any sedans or wagons later than that yet).

The Caprice is a "B" body car, their rear windows on the sedans rolled down.
I have had enough experience in the boneyards and online research to find this out while looking for stuff for my 81 Malibu.

I was just in one of the local yards Friday to retrieve the rear windows out of a 1981 Buick Century for spare parts for my Malibu, and I just may gut everything else that I find useable if the other yard I visit next weekend has nothing I may need.

The wagons share parts for the rear doors with the sedans.
Little changes here and there on the 1978 through 1980.
The 1981 seems to stand alone for many header features.
And the 1982 1983 change for those years, then many other small changes take place from 1984 through 1987.

Same goes for the coupes.

I now have parts for my Malibu from a 1981 Buick Century, 1983 and 1984 Olds Cutlass Supremes, a 1984 Monte Carlo, and a 1988 Chevy V-6 truck or van (one of these was the donor for my Th-700R4 transmission).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:12 PM

do the windows have any provisions too make them roll down ? does the glass hang down far enough inside the doors in order to glue a slider channel to teh glass and install a power window assy ????
Old 04-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Wiki Edits: 9

The windows do appear to have enough below the level of the bottom frame, but do not have a provision to attach the channel to.

The channel could be attached with good results I would imagine, and there is certainly enough space in the door to allow the window down half to 3/4-way.

With a little creative engineering, the regulator and slide channels from a front door could be made to work in the rear.

I would attempt to do this conversion with a power window motor, as you can hide this inside the door and still appear to be stock, plus it will save you from having to make an inner door panel that will look decent with the handle as low as that door will have you putting it.

I still have yet to find the power vent windows, as they were an option.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:17 PM

just gotta use the sliders that glue right to the bottom edge of the glass. with a little luck you could find window channels for inside the door which have the proper curve for the glass , and as long as the same design window frame is used for the rear door as the front .... factory window felts out of something oughta slap right in ....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in