Steel braided PTFE hose on barb end ok? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Wiki Edits: 0

Steel braided PTFE hose on barb end ok?

Hi
Is it ok to fasten a steel braided PTFE fuel hose to a barb fitting end with a standard hose clamp?
It's a low pressure carb fuel system.

I know it won't be a very nice connection, but will it work ok?

I'm about to change out all my steel braided fuel hoses with PTFE ones, and have barb fitting ends a couple of places.
I'know I must change the other fittings.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 PM

It is not recommended. The barb wont squeeze the ptfe enough.

I recommend you use a "push to connect" barb fittings with Gates "Bariccade" hose.

I love this stuff and it is not much more expensive then low pressure line.

Using the push to connect fittings you wont need any clamps and using the barricade line your system will be good to run any fuel through the lines and move up to high pressures later.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-po...0014/v/1111089

Most places have the line for $5-7 a foot.

I recommend you use hard line with flared ends where ever possible and for bends with any section of hose saved for straight pieces connecting the lines or line to tank/filter,/pump/pump/carb.

This cuts down on the cost of your "soft" line while lessening possible leaks.

For hard line break line works good. You can use "green" line but it rust quickly.

Nicopp line last longer and is easy to bend/flare.

https://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Copper.../dp/B00A1WBYUC

A $25 harbor freight flare tool will let you double flare the ends to slide the hose over the greased nicopp before adding 2 offset clps.

For high pressure systems you can use break fittings on the flared end with a coupler to connect push to connect barb fittings eliminating most of the soft lines completely. The nicopp flexes enough to allow for chassis flex and can be held tight to the rail with clamps.
https://www.amazon.com/Clamp-20-Insu.../dp/B07CJRVB3Y

If your bringing this to the track follow there rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
staleg (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake

Ok, thanks!

Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 PM

You can just go back to the quick connect fitting connecting one like in the link below.
Then screw on a push to connect an6 or 8 barb fitting to slide fuel injection hose over that barb. Run that hose to a flared hard line or all the way to your post pump filter/tank return.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...RoC_ZsQAvD_BwE

Throw a caliper on your male quick disconnect tube for size and check to see if your rail has a diffrent locking style then the GM style one in the above link.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Mark Goulette

PTFE is great stuff but you must use either reusable or crimped AN fittings. For street applications, regular braided line is just fine, and you can run the whole system with it. Steel lines where no flex will occur is better, but you'll need to have a good tool to flare with, and good flares take practice. You CAN run aluminum fuel line, but it's going to be subject to vibration and work hardening, which will cause it to crack. DO NOT USE BRAKE (not "break") lines for fuel, especially if using fuels that contain a percentage of alcohol. The solvents in the fuel can break down the plating in the lines and cause issues with the fuel system. If you plan to use steel hard lines, get plain tubing. If you want to spend the coin, stainless is a great option but expensive, hard to bend, and even harder to flare as you can only do single flares or it will split. Regardless of which direction you go, take your time and have fun with it!
The Following User Says Thank You to predator carb guru For This Useful Post:
staleg (06-25-2019)

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in