Steering problem - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

steering

Looking at your pics it looks like in a turn the leaf springs would hit the steering arm and push it out of position causing it to steer funny..Look under the spring to see if it has been rubbing (shiny metal)..if so thats your problem..ya might be able to fix it if you take off those leaf spring helpers and check clearance..just a guess.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 12:20 PM

In my view, the suspension setup you have inherited in this vehicle is totally NOT compatible with the steering setup.
Rack and pinion steering just does not lend its self to work with the leaf string setup which you have.
Plus the fact that, whoever has created this combination has demonstrated that they lack the skill and ingenuity to make such a combination work well at all...
Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Wiki Edits: 6

rack and pinions and solid axles are not meant to be in the same car/truck, forget that and make it back to a steering box and correct linkage.

with all new parts the handling will be as good as any R&P setup

Old 07-21-2015, 02:47 AM

I've been really busy at my job lately so it's been a while since i've posted something.

on the other hand, i was able to find the original setup for my truck.
Yesterday i've demounted the current setup and ... wel just take a look at the pics. the original steering column was shortened by approx 10 inch or something. On the bottom side some sort bearing was made by welding some crap on, though i wouldn't consider that as a 'weld'. The steering shaft also was cut and gave the steering wheel an up/down clearance of about 1/2 inch.

And when taking off the front wheels i've noticed that the clearance on the wheel bearings was far out of limits. i could chuckle the wheel at least 1/8 inch.

so this leaves me with the idea of checking a bit more critical points before even thinking of driving it.

i'll keep you updated when the original parts are mounted.

meanwhile have a laugh at this wonderfull job on the steering column..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stuurhuis1.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	915.4 KB
ID:	234465   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuurhuis2.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	886.2 KB
ID:	234473   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuurhuis3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	813.4 KB
ID:	234481  
The Following User Says Thank You to The Belgian For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-21-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quick update:

The original parts arrived today so i took some time to fit them on. installed the steering column without breaking a sweat. just plug and play.
when fitting the link rod between the two wheels i've noticed that the rod hits the oilpan, due to a poor job in lowering the car. what brings me to the next problem..
Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Well give us some pics of the engine and how it is mounted as there are ways to do that and clear the steering bits. Hopefully it will not take a whole lot to fix that issue..

Sam
Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Well give us some pics of the engine and how it is mounted as there are ways to do that and clear the steering bits. Hopefully it will not take a whole lot to fix that issue..

Sam
hi Sam,

honestly i'd better fix the suspension. the engine is in it's original place.
The car was lowered by taking some leaves out of the springs. also the rubber blocks that should be on top of the springs are removed. so when you take a bump, the spring would just bang on the frame. it has about 2 inches clearance just by standing still. and wich causes the shock absorbers to go further in than they're supposed to. (one of the brackets has been broken once, i can clearly see a weld on it. and the studs they're connected with are not really straight anymore) i'll shoot some pics.

i might need some other springs.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Might just find some springs with the same width, and remove leafs from them to add to yours. Then they just need a longer center bolt to add them to your leaf pack.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:45 AM

Sadly doing what you are suggesting with spring leaves does not work like that if you want to do it correctly.
When a leaf spring is made each leaf is made and curved to fit the main leaf which is part of the setting process.
Sure find the leaves you need, but you would better advised to take what you have to a blacksmith shop and do it the right way as they will make the leaves exactly to the right length and curvature etc.
Stay on track with doing it right and you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
Sadly doing what you are suggesting with spring leaves does not work like that if you want to do it correctly.
When a leaf spring is made each leaf is made and curved to fit the main leaf which is part of the setting process.
Sure find the leaves you need, but you would better advised to take what you have to a blacksmith shop and do it the right way as they will make the leaves exactly to the right length and curvature etc.
well today i contacted the guy who delivered the steering parts, turns out he has a lot more stuff. and he has a few complete original sets for a really good price. on the other hand, there's a company nearby that does nothing else but springs like these, but it will cost me a lot more. (any metalwork in Belgium is really expensive, including raw material)

so i'm gonna go with the original springs i think,

So i must say, the steering problem itself is solved, thanks to everyone for the good advice, now it's more a suspension problem... issue... wich allready has a solution. do these things happen more often or do i have something not normal? just asking

maybe i'd be better making an project tread or something?

The Belgian, but call me nick
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM

Nick, keep up the good work.
Just remember you are trying to do it once and no need to revisit it later.
False economy doing stuff twice.
Russ.

Last edited by fiftyv8; 07-22-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
I've done it numerous times, and never had an issue. Yes, you need to stay close to the same arc shape of the main spring, but if you've ever taken a spring pack apart, you'll quickly find they do not contact each other full length without the centering pin installed.
I also have had my local spring shop build me either a new main leaf, or additional shorter leafs, so I could adjust spring rate, height, or fit a spring pack to a vehicle that has shorter eye to eye length. Both of my cars presently have front leaf springs with custom built spring packs I did on them. They work as good as anything my local spring shop ever built up for me. This isn't tossing things together, but leaf spring building isn't rocket science either. It's called hotrodding, and the people I learned from over the last 50 years did this all the time.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:40 AM

Yet again it's been a while, but the issue is finally over.

Found a set of leaf springs in really good condition at a low price.
also found new shock absorbers. had everything mounted this weekend and it worked out really great. installed the springs, the absorbers, finished the steering setup, a little adjustment, re mounted the turn signal thing and made it work . had everthing greased up and was able to take it for a ride. only to the gas station and back.

needs a little adjustment on the wheel alignment and a few other issues turned out, so i've got some work to do.

driving was great, alltough it won't break any speed records, i'll be glad if he makes it to 50 mph

so anyway, the initial issues are solved, and i want to thank everyone participating in the discussion and giving advice.

Regards from Belgium!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	klaar1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	606.3 KB
ID:	243778   Click image for larger version

Name:	klaar2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	243786   Click image for larger version

Name:	klaar3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	243794   Click image for larger version

Name:	klaar4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	695.5 KB
ID:	243802   Click image for larger version

Name:	klaar5.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	852.9 KB
ID:	243810  

The Following User Says Thank You to The Belgian For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Belgian View Post
Yet again it's been a while, but the issue is finally over.

Found a set of leaf springs in really good condition at a low price.
also found new shock absorbers. had everything mounted this weekend and it worked out really great. installed the springs, the absorbers, finished the steering setup, a little adjustment, re mounted the turn signal thing and made it work . had everthing greased up and was able to take it for a ride. only to the gas station and back.

needs a little adjustment on the wheel alignment and a few other issues turned out, so i've got some work to do.

driving was great, alltough it won't break any speed records, i'll be glad if he makes it to 50 mph

so anyway, the initial issues are solved, and i want to thank everyone participating in the discussion and giving advice.

Regards from Belgium!
Looks good! Set the toe in at 1/8"-1/4" in and the truck should handle even much higher speeds than 50 mph. I use a homemade adjustable rod that's an old shower rod. Adjust it out to fit the front side of the wheel, and then move it to the back side to verify it's 1/8"-1/4" wider. Adjust until it is.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Try this, it maybe of some help to you.

1957 Chevrolet Wheel Alignment Specs

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in