stick welding question - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Wiki Edits: 0

My solution for needing Bi-Focals while welding..we call em "Cheater Lenses".cost is a dollar or 2 at any weld supply and designed to fit inside the shield or the flip up,Z81.7 osha approved UV ray protection and impact resistant...no need in looking up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheater1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	25888   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheater2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	25889   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheater.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	25890  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
My solution for needing Bi-Focals while welding..we call em "Cheater Lenses".cost is a dollar or 2 at any weld supply and designed to fit inside the shield or the flip up,Z81.7 osha approved UV ray protection and impact resistant...no need in looking up or down.
Thats what I was talking about....we call them magnifiers but yep...thats them. I like them.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM

No doubt about it those things are great but I am so accustomed to wearing my glasses I just feel nekked without them. I had to wear safety glasses under my helmet anyway so I just kept a pair prescription safety glasses with the side shields to wear at work. I did it for so long I just feel like something is missing if I don't have glasses on under my helmet. Also I just got one of those Huntsman auto dark lens that converts a regular helmet into the auto type. It just replaces the regular dark lens so it has the advantages of both types of welding helmet, it is now an auto dark type but still has the flip-up for grinding, chipping, etc.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 PM
street rods forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
No doubt about it those things are great but I am so accustomed to wearing my glasses I just feel nekked without them. I had to wear safety glasses under my helmet anyway so I just kept a pair prescription safety glasses with the side shields to wear at work. I did it for so long I just feel like something is missing if I don't have glasses on under my helmet. .
Yep,my sentiments exactly.
I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow, like I mentioned they are for more than welding....
Old 11-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
No doubt about it those things are great but I am so accustomed to wearing my glasses I just feel nekked without them. I had to wear safety glasses under my helmet anyway so I just kept a pair prescription safety glasses with the side shields to wear at work. I did it for so long I just feel like something is missing if I don't have glasses on under my helmet. Also I just got one of those Huntsman auto dark lens that converts a regular helmet into the auto type. It just replaces the regular dark lens so it has the advantages of both types of welding helmet, it is now an auto dark type but still has the flip-up for grinding, chipping, etc.
I feel the same way..I always have clear safety glasses on behind the sheild..just a good habit because anywhere i work if you dont have them on at all times including behind the sheild..you'll be on your way out the gate with your paycheck REAL quick.So even if im home here welding i feel naked without them.
I like the Cheaters(or magnifiers) because i work alot of heights on the iron walking and climbing beams..try walking a beam 50 stories up with those glasses on confusing your step and also hard to keep a good pair intact doing that kind of work,beating iron,prying it in and out,in tight spots where you crush anything you happen to have in your pockets..etc etc..just doesnt work,i dont even wear a watch band.learned a young age it doesnt work,they last maybe a day.
Ive recently gotten a few pairs of safety glasses that are Bi-Focals from a nuke plant i was working to try them..just couldnt get used to walking with them on,felt like i was goin to trip all over the place.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:26 PM
street rods forever

Well Here the pics for you......
You have great points Suthin,I would;nt trust my self up there with bifocals

these would work for some people, not everyone,
I find them handy for different things, mostly under dash work now,but still use them for welding or torch cutiing,anything to save my neck from srunching
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233 (Small).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	25910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231 (Small).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	25911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228 (Small).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	25912  

Last edited by KRUZR; 11-30-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 AM

you should go to the welding shop and get a materials guide for your rods. it tells you what polarity to run and a good starting point for amperage. 7018 low hydrogen rod run on a/c will put gas bubbles in the weld. It looks beautiful, but is extremely brittle and will shatter like glass under stress.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in