Strait axle info wanted - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Strait axle info wanted

Hey Guys and Gals

I am looking for Strait axle front end info.

More about Altered style strait axle front ends than Gasser style.
There is very little out there on correct set up for Gasser style front ends besides Speedway stuff. And Notta on the Strait axle front ends for Altered race cars. Called a Chassis builder and the idea got poo pood told to build conventional A arm Altered.

I want to go fast BUT don't want to die either.

I am not looking to break the sound barrier just have some fun on the Street and strip not looking to break records just build safe Hot rods.

I really need info on and want to build an Altered style car with a Strait axle and cant find any info where to buy parts or info on building and set up, I dont mind Math or studying the tech info if you got any???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 06:30 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

gasser info

lots of info Use Google
gasser front axle setup
one thing to check is Bump steer when the front end starts to lift . steering gear location and drag link angle is important. It can be a problem on lifted A arm suspensions .
here is good info on suspension design
google
Fatman suspension sema
if the utube doesn't load
Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the Video link very informative lots of good info covered in that video.

But still I was looking for a wee bit More information than that.

There have been about a 1000 different styles used and pictured on Google over the decades.

And again I am looking for info and for Parts for an ALTERED drag car style front end rather than whats available from Speedway although I may just give up and order one of there kits at this point to get the project going in the direction I want.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Global Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: 1962 Morris Minor 1000
Wiki Edits: 1659

You answered your own question. You want a straight axle.

Then you run a cross mounted leaf spring or parallel springs on the straight axle. If you run a cross mounted spring. Then some type of hairpin links to keep the axle located correctly.

Gassers ran both setups on straight axle. Gasser class did not allow the car body to be altered and did not allow as much engine set back as the Altered class.

As you mention: the Altered cars also ran a trianglated front suspension with spindle mounted wheels ... those were usually the higher dollar built cars , not the early stuff built in back yards.

Spindle mounted wheels , usually did not have front brakes.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,107 Posts
It's confusing to me and probably to everyone else what it is.......EXACTLY........that you're looking for. An altered front suspension, in my opinion, will be very little different from a street-type front suspension, with the spring spanning across the top of the axle instead of using two longitudinal springs like on a gasser.

I've been around this stuff for about 60 years and there are others on this board who have the same experience as I do. I'm pretty sure that we could get you the information that you say you're looking for. What we need though, is the ..........EXACT.........information that you're looking for. Please help us to help you.

Thanks Crosley, I was researching and typing while you were posting. .......
Old 09-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

"altereds"

A good friend was Joe Davis RIP of the Davis and ingram race team . They built a few record holding altered Both Fuel and Gas. if you google davis and ingram altered three of their cars will show up /
one of the cars ran a Ford 60 front tube axle . Ford built a 60 HP smaller flat head in the mid 30's that used the tube axle rather than the normal I beam. Mine ended up in a hemi dragster ages ago.
Joe pulled the Fiat body off and re-skinned the car with a 65 Mustang, he order body repair panels and finaly got fiberglass panels later. the car was known as Colt 45. lots of good stories when they ran that car.
My son pulled the "wiggle" tube axle off the front of his brother's 36 Plymouth coupe (slated to get a MII front) when he built his 22 dodge lakester
some altered ran torsion bar front, I have an old T bar front on a parts project I was given.
The YouTube of the Jewel T shows white lines coming off the wheelie bar castors , one of Joe's tricks was whit shoe polish to check how the adjustable rear suspension was loading the tires
Old 09-18-2019, 08:07 AM

After some more searching I came up with the correct terminology!

I am looking for information on Torsion bar front end designs with a Strait axle!

Basically how to do it right?

There are a whole lot of ways its been done, some of the cleanest Installs and designs I have ever seen where on Altereds. They've been done on Dragsters Sprint cars and coups.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in