street motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

street motor

Understanding everyone has different needs for what's wanted/needed for a street motor I am looking for some real world suggestions. I have a 2500 lb. car and looking to get a good sbc to replace my existing tired anchor. I'm not looking for mega power, won't break torque the thing at lights but, want to occasionally put my foot in it and not embarrass myself. 90% around town and some road trips. And if it sounds good...a plus. Am looking for a crate motor to keep it simple. thank you for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 11:44 AM

DO not buy the 350/290 it is a horrible mismatch of parts. too much cam and NO compression. 8:1 ratio. In a lite car it will work better than my uses. Go for something about 330hp/375 tq down low and midrange.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Got to start with a budget first

Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,107 Posts
Need details, details, details.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Well, ok. It's an ALL steel t-bucket, if that matters. A powerglide and a 7.5 axle I can't find tags etc. A little over 2 something ( by counting tire, drive shaft turns. Big and littles. TALL windshield. Just a driver.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Sorry, didn't mention budget. Of course would like to keep it low but, am realistic and MIGHT bust the cc self imposed limit ( my wife LOVES hotrods). I'm guessing low rpm torque but, a lot of crate motors might put the power too high in the rpm range, for a street motor...that's why the question. Someone with experience. Again, no brake torqueing. Just a once in a while, feeling like a kid again, stomping the loud pedal but mostly just driving.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Street motor

How about something different like an older Oldsmobile Quad Four or the all aluminum Buick 215 V8. I'm sure others can add to this list of "odd" engines that would set your Bucket apart.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:02 PM

Well...a different motor would be cool but, this is already a built car and to change engine, trans would be counter productive . It has a sbc already. Now if I were much younger and building a car...but too old, looking at the slope down. Wanna replace motor and drive the thing while I can still pass the next driving test. Sorry, got to be a damn sbc.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 PM

I can't help you on a crate motor, but if you want to build yours, I'd be glad to pitch in and offer details.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:38 PM

Can't rebuild what you have?
Old 08-18-2019, 07:37 PM

I'm old and slow.. am redoing the radiator, cooling issue right now. Be driving it again in a few days. To rebuild the tired old motor with boogered bolt holes and whatever else...it's running now, but. I know how I get bogged down, tired, etc. So..out with the old, transfer manifold, waterpump, etc. and be driving again in the shortest amount of time. Lotta things need to be done but each is a weekend (snicker) redo. Then drive it, then a fix, drive, fix. etc. Rebuild a motor I can do, have done but now would take ME way to long. Afraid not a clear explanation but trying to be realistic with my time. Could I do the swap in a weekend? I wish. Now I would hope for only a week. Huh! The question stands about a crate motor, a long block. I do appreciate the responses. Oh, if the time wasn't an issue I would go a Ford in the Ford, but a grand more than a comparable sbc and a bunch of more work. Wanna keep the PG. Sigh!
Old 08-18-2019, 08:36 PM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

If you just want to buy a crate engine and spend the week installing it, here are a few relatively low budget crate choices.
- GM L31 Vortec 350 crate. Jegs, Summit and many others sell it. (https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...81431/10002/-1) You will need an electric fuel pump and Vortec intake, but most other SBC parts will bolt on. It has a very mild truck cam, and stock Vortec heads, so I assume you won't get more than the advertised 250 HP. However, it has a roller cam that will make it easy to swap in something a little more aggressive (just stay within the stock Vortec lift limits).

- Blueprint 350 Vortec crate (https://blueprintengines.com/product...lock-bp3503ct1). This is similar to the GM crate with iron Vortec heads, but has a much better cam, so its rated at 373 HP. It also has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump.

- Blueprint also has a similar engine with aluminum heads, 4 bolt mains, etc., and its rated at 390 HP (https://blueprintengines.com/product...ock-bp35513ct1). It also has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump.
ATK and others make similar crate engines.

My other suggestions for buying a crate engine:
- Make sure you get iron or aluminum heads that are equivalent or better than GM Vortec. Do not waste your money on an engine with old smog era, low compression heads, even if someone has reworked them to try and fix the limitations.
- Buy a crate that is set up for a roller cam, since it will help engine longevity and work better with modern fast ramp cam profiles.
- One piece RMS is also good to reduce the possibility of leaks.
- Your car is light, but you seem to still want good low end torque. For that reason, stay with moderate duration cams (up to about 218-220 @ .050), assuming you only want compression of about 9.5. You can use more cam if you have more compression.

Bruce
The Following User Says Thank You to 75gmck25 For This Useful Post:
lmsport (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Thank you 75. I know a decent 350 in my car will perform well. But, we all want a "little' more. Those examples look good, will look at them more. I'm looking for good low end torque and hoping for responses from someone that went the same route I am thinking of. I don't know what to look for on paper such as cam specs, carb, etc so the question for someone with experience. Going to have the trans gone through this winter, then see about a motor. A little time to find what I want. Hopefully . Again, thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM

383 with Pro-Filer 185 aluminum heads, hydraulic roller cam with 208 to 210 degrees intake duration, no more than 9.5:1 static compression ratio, 2000 rpm stall converter, Performer RPM intake, 650 Edelbrock AVS2 carb, limit fuel pressure to 5 psi. This motor will haul the mail from 1500 to 5200.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (08-24-2019), 64nailhead (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 932 Posts
A little perspective on modern power.

These days extracting over 400 pound feet and like horsepower on a 350 is simple and very street worthy. Not that I'm against a 383 at all, just trying to plumb the depths of what you consider ample street power in a steel T bucket. At 2500 pounds such power pretty stout.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in