Street/Strip 2nd Gen Camaro Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2019, 04:45 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Wiki Edits: 0

Street/Strip 2nd Gen Camaro Build

Purpose: Document this build so I'll always have it on record

Build/Goals= Build my second 383 that'll be utilized for a street/strip application. Install a new 400 tranny. Install a new rear end. Take this 2nd Gen to the 500ish HP circle (IE, When i'm in town, 99.9% of the townsfolk will still be wondering what happened after the light turned green).

History: 76 Camaro, bought it in 2014. Was pretty much factory at the time of purchase with a very stock 350. Have since gutted the entire factory interior, fabricated an aluminum dash, installed Stewart Warner gauges, put a Grant steering wheel on it, took out the back seats and plated over, removed the factory fuel tank and installed a fuel cell, etc. Other work i've done to it in the past was to put a 73' Muncie in it, but i will be running a different tranny at the conclusion of this build.

First Entry to this Log

Will be using a virgin 350 block i bought five years ago. Dropped block off to Machinest on Thursday (August 22, 2019). Getting it decked to .015, internally balanced, new cam bearings, new freeze plugs, bored .030, align honed (forgot to produce my aftermarket main bolts so will need to go back and drop off to them), checked and/or modified for stroker clearances. Chose not to have it magna fluxed as i built this motor years ago on a test stand and never encountered any leaks. Machinest is based out of Nashville and I've used them before with no problems. ETA on getting block back= 2-4 weeks, provided i can make it back down there to drop off main bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	447059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	447061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.JPG
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	447063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	447065  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 05:24 PM

What's the plan with fuel? I'd say more cam and rpm's than what you've chosen is needed if you want to really run this on the strip. I'll guess that you have no concern for fuel economy?

Lastly, DCR is great number to know for a street build, but if you want to be serious about strip times, then forget it.

Again, what fuel will be you be running?
Old 08-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64nailhead View Post
What's the plan with fuel? I'd say more cam and rpm's than what you've chosen is needed if you want to really run this on the strip. I'll guess that you have no concern for fuel economy?

Lastly, DCR is great number to know for a street build, but if you want to be serious about strip times, then forget it.

Again, what fuel will be you be running?
Car will be mostly for the street (already have a drag only car), but might would take it to strip on a blue moon sometime down road. Why ask about the fuel? I'm running a .043 quench at 8.6 DCR. No, don't care about fuel economy but do plan to run no ethanol pump gas..

Old 08-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Making an update to my build. It appears my DCR number was off. I generally use the KB site to make calculations and used the Intake Closing ABDC @.050 plus 15 degrees. In going back through some of my old notes, I'd made a note not to do this in my DCR calculations but instead to use this: (Adv duration divided by 2) + LSA minus ground advance and minus 180. For this cam it would be, 278.6/2 + 110-4-180=65.3. Put the 65.3 and 6" rods into the calculator and i get a DCR of 8.041 which is more palatable for me and my wishes to use pump gas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in