Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Garage - Tools (
-   -   Sun distributor machine (

lust4speed 10-20-2003 04:01 PM

Sun distributor machine
I picked up an old Sun Electric distributor machine. It was in great shape, and there is a date of July 7, 1965 on the inside of the cabinet. My problem is that the machine was made for points type distributors. It needs to be converted to work with electronic module and HEI units. My problem is I have no idea of what is needed to make it work with the newer distributors. What do I need to add?

Pony 10-20-2003 06:06 PM

Spent some time with them in the 60's but thats a tough one. Have you contacted Sun about it? They may even have an upgrade kit. :thumbup:

lust4speed 10-20-2003 06:23 PM

I have made initial contact with the parent company, and I am waiting to see if they can provide help. Sun Electric is now a subsidiary of Snap-On, and the main headquarters is in the Netherlands. Their website doesn't list much automotive testing equipment offered for sale, but I'm hopeful that they can still point me in the right direction. I figure that I might have a better chance of finding someone that has upgraded their machine, and can tell me what parts I need.

6567GTO 10-27-2003 06:20 AM

This guy might be able to help you out. His name is Bob.

[email protected]

lust4speed 10-27-2003 07:21 PM

6567GTO thank you for the email address. I can use knowledgeable people if something goes wrong with the upgrade.

The customer service rep in the Netherlands was quite helpful. He gave me a toll free number here in the states. Well, it took three more toll free numbers, but I finally got the man in charge of parts for the old machines. Surprisingly, everything is still available for them - including manuals and upgrade kits. Only problem is nothing is cheap. I ended up ordering out an upgrade module that will allow the machine to work on electronic distributors. But should something go wrong, I'll be needing to get in touch with people that have worked on these machines. If anyone needs the phone number for Sun Distributor Machine parts, let me know.

Mark Saunders 11-15-2003 10:38 AM

I own 25 Sun distributor testers. I have just about any part you will ever need. To test electronic distributors on a Sun machine, you need a pulse amplifer. E-mail me you like. [email protected]

Paul_Wright 01-26-2004 10:18 AM

Lust4speed: I could use the contact info you found for SUn distributor machine parts. Thanks in advance

lust4speed 01-26-2004 12:15 PM

Don't forget to contact Mark in the post above to see if he has the parts you need first.

I'm going to post the contact info here so I don't have to tear the house apart again looking for it. The toll free number for Sun Parts is 800-225-5786, but they only carry parts for their current items they have for sale - and they don't sell a distributor machine anymore.

The man you need to talk to for ordering parts is Roger Kunz, and his phone number is 815-344-6538. He can get absolutely any part for the machines, and is a pleasure to talk to on the phone. He can also point you to people that still service these machines. They are retired Sun techs, and the only problem is that they are located around Illinois (okay, only a problem for those of us on the west coast). You need to note whatever numbers you can find on the seperate pieces on the machine. I didn't know it, but the shell can contain any assortment of add on items. For example, there might be a dozen different dwell meters that would fit in the cabinet.

The amplifier module was a little lightweight box that is fully self contained and measures about 4x6x2 and has two brass terminals on top. You put your distributor lead on the + terminal and a ground lead to the - terminal. No batteries, no external power, but you fire up the distributor and everything works. Strange, but it does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I found out later that it is not needed for Unilite or the new Crane XRi modules, and all you need for these is an external power source.

Packard V8 09-25-2008 10:57 AM

815-344-6538 "has been disconnected or no longer in service."

lust4speed 09-28-2008 08:06 PM

Bummer, the guy had been retired for quite some time from Sun when I posted the information back 4-1/2 years ago. Hopefully he just gave up on the side business and is spending his time fishing -- but he might just not be around anymore. Try the 800 number and see if those guys might have another number that would work for you. There's a ton of the old Sun machines out there, and maybe there is still a source for parts.

PatM 10-16-2008 01:52 PM

Mark Saunders, who posted his email above, is a great help. I had several discussions with him before buying my machine. And, then . . . .I bought a pulse amplifier from him. He's very knowledgable and seems to have about everything. He could even have various panels on you machine repainted, and he has silk-screen masks to make all the lettering come out perfectly. I was not that particualr, and my machine is no great looker. But it works, so it's fun to play with. I promise you won't regret talking with Mark.


Big Bunny 10-20-2012 02:02 AM

sun distributor tester parts
Paramount distributor company will have all the parts you need .
Check web or phone 616-878-9734
3691 76th st. sw Byron Center Michigan 49315

Cheers from the Big Bunny

sss79ta 11-10-2012 04:48 PM

hei pulse amp
Can someone tell me how to hook up my sun pulse amp with my hei distributor and my sun 500 distributor tester?

Gary Kosier 11-30-2012 08:14 PM

If you have a complete HEI distributor, you don't even need a pulse amplifier.
All you need is a 12 volt power source. I use a cheap wall-wort, plugged into
the back of the machine. There are three wires coming out of the dizzy.
One hot, one ground and the third is the trigger for the machine. Don't look
for a proper plug to match the harness on the dizzy. The only one made is
on the Kent-Moore module tester and they don't make that themselves. I've
got one, but it was a long struggle.

Gary Kosier

xxxxxxxxojh 01-17-2014 10:39 AM

What a coincidence! I posted yesterday in the electrical section about adding a sparkplug rack and coil to my 504 machine to add the ability to test msd type ignitions. I am concerned with isolating the plugrcak & coils from the machine. What do you guys think?
I added a couple pictures in the original thread as well, i am working on it now adding the switches and an amp meter to the 12v power supply for the CD boxes.

As far as the HEI connection i thought you needed another box, mine has a pigtail and what looks like a connector for a ford - can this be used?

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.