Super charger 383 vs n\a big block chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Super charger 383 vs n\a big block chevy

As im driving myself nuts on my next build for my 3800 pound c10, i was wondering about building my 383 for a centrifugal super charger rather then naturally aspirated. Or... Would it be smarter to build a n\a big block 454 instead.
Would one be better then the other for a street driving truck?
I know they both would get expensive, can't be any worse then this house remodel I'm 5 months deep in.
As far as mileage goes... any difference between the two?
Th 400 tranny and 12 bolt 3.42 posi.
Thanks as always

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 05:27 PM

i'm taking a break from my trans problem. This is just my opinion:

It all boils down to how much time you got? And how long is your commute?

i like the idea of supercharging, either centrifugal/roots or the Lycholm(sp?) screw type that looks like a roots on the outside. But what's your level of expertise getting the fuel system to work with it?

If your commute is over 100 miles roundtrip, then i'd stick with the 383 (not that this is a small engine either.....)

So, for me, since i don't have experience with superchargers and my commute is only 36 miles roundtrip, and i don't have a lot of time these days, then 454 big block with quadrajet/HEI ignition = fast, easy, cheap(relatively speaking) setup and fun. NO hassle.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:55 PM

60 mile round trip, all highway

Old 01-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Thanked 1,036 Times in 851 Posts
You made no mention of HP hopes and dreams, but for a commuter, I'd go with the big block. As much as I'm a fan of boost, daily driving ,ehh, not so much if your livelihood depends on it. A GM crate 454 for less than $4k topped with a Holley Sniper for another $1k and you'll have the darn near 500ft/lbs and 300+HP.

Of course I'm thinking of the expense, but perhaps it's not an issue for you. If so, then the supercharged 383 is just a total waste unless you want 600-900hp in your daily driver.

In terms of mileage, I'd say you'll get some with both builds lol. Both will guzzle gas like it's their jobs. The 454 will work better if the cam is mild and the converter is stock with a tall gear out back with your TH400. If you commute 60 miles one way and have plenty of highway driving, then a 4L80 would be in my plan.

How much HP will make you happy? Both of your possible motors will smoke a street tire at will from a stop sign.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 PM

I’m wanting 500 ft pounds of tourqe, that’s my end goal. It’s not my primary truck, I have a 94 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel for my main transportation. It gets 17 mpg. My old c10 is just my hot rod truck that my 8 year old boy and I play with and drive a lot. I want him be exposed to as much hands on stuff as I can.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:59 PM

Thanked 1,036 Times in 851 Posts
If you can swing the money end, then supercharger says I
Old 01-11-2020, 07:01 PM

a 540 BBC is a good all around performance bargain. 600# and 700hp
not good for economy.

Or turbo charge a smaller sbc and use F.l. for a chance a mileage.
Or like you mentioned, a diesel.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:57 AM

5.3, or 6.0 LS buy a cable throttle one.

Thing is plug and play to that th400. Bolt in kits to work with your frame.

You get fuel injection and reflashing the computer can be done locally at a cost of around $100-150.

Here is the biggest diffrence your going to notice. Driveability and less maintance.
Good chance a 6.0 will get the same mileage as a 383 na to na or forced to forced.

A turbo likes to run in a range and a carb likes constant adjustment especially if your changing altitudes. If you don't want to baby the thing until it is warm or do carb adjustments 2 or 3 times a year then a LS can make that happen.

Ok you decide you want to run forced later on. The timing and fuel trim adjustment of a LS can provide and the speed at which it can be done will save a engine that will be damaged if running a carb. That is not saying you can not add a "box" to imporve HEI timing. But with a LS your starting at that point. On the fuel side of it there is no comparison. If you have a fuel issue with a carb under boost well there is no adjustment like with fuel injection. You have one "mechanical fuel map" for all temps and situations.

If all you do is drive the truck on 70 degree sunny days maybe this workd. But if you live somewhere where 40 degree temperature swings are common fuel injection is going to make your life easy.

As far as working on it with a kid. It is a pushrod engine. The basics are all there and lots to learn.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:59 AM
RedLine Stage 4 ZL1 650rwhp

I can't argue with cerial and his LS suggestion, they're amazing motors that can make insane power. However if the choice is build and supercharge your 383, OR build a BB. Like everyone is saying it all comes down to how much power you want. Since you saying you want a lot of torque and are concerned about street drivability I would say the short answer is 383 + Supercharger
Old 01-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Many OEM's are trending to boost because of the power that can be made in a smaller package and the smaller package will net better fuel consumption when driving with some sense.
If 500hp is the goal, and it takes XX amount of fuel and air to make the 500hp, then fuel usage will be about the same however, the rest of the time youre part throttle cruising and when the fuel savings will be.
I'd personally boost the 383ci at around 9-15psi and leave the BB for some other project.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Given the choices between a boosted 383 or NA 496. I am going to take the 496. The reason being longevity.

You can make equal power between two engines with one at 1/2 the displacement using boost. But that smaller engine is going to be stressed and if not 100% engineered for boost from the start will have weak spots.
You take a 496 with say 9.5 compression and the thing will outlast the forced 383 with high cylinder pressures.
Those lower pressures also allow for some wiggle room in tuning and simplistic easy to find parts. You can run a carb with HEI on a 496 and be good. A boosted 383 is going to require more brains or tuning to keepthat thing from going lean or having boost swings as the temp changes.

Now there is a 3rd option that requires less tuning and increased simplicity. The building of a high compression NA 383.

Your talking about similar stresses to the forced 383. But your eliminating a considerable amount of parts and variables. This allows for simplistic parts to be used with less risk of a cylinder going lean.

Given the 454 block or the 350 block in a truck. The 454 built into a 468 or 496 gets my approval for a long life at less stress. The thing is also going to run fewer rpm to generate torque then a small block.

If I wanted to use a small block then lots of homework to keep the dynamic compression reasonable and then have that NA 383 running in the 10.5 to 11 range depending on the heads and cam.

I have had over a dozen squarebodies. They really are not designed to go 80mph kind of deal. I will take more gearing and a lower top speed for quicker 0-60 acceleration every day of the week.

Bringing up a big block Cadillac once again. The 472 and 500ci engines made great power. But the car has a terrible quarter due to gearing around 2.7ish. Take the same car and run 4.11's in it and you have a beast. Now with 2.7ish gearing the engines had a easy life. They also got surprisingly good highway mileage. But if your talking about power you need to look at the entire truck not just the engine.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:11 PM

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,291 Posts
Gen 5 468 (1-piece rear seal) with Airflow Research #3610-1 265's with Fel-Pro 1047 head gaskets, Wiseco KP432A6 pistons, 10.4:1, Scat Pro Stock rods, cut block decks to 9.790". Use roller cam with 225-228 degrees intake duration @0.050". (hot rod BB Chevies don't get along well with a flat tappet cam). Use a Weiand 8123WND intake mounting a Cliff Ruggles Quadrajet. Top with a 14" x 6" air filter assembly to let her breathe in. To let her breathe out, bolt on a set of equal-length, long-tube headers. Installing an H-pipe immediately after the collectors will sweeten the exhaust note.
This combo will make 600 horsepower and sound sweet.

I also like the idea of a 472 or 500 inch Cadillac.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (01-16-2020), BogiesAnnex1 (01-20-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
This combo will make 600 horsepower and sound sweet.
Not only that I imagine it could be done with a realistic budget of $4500. Maybe even $4000 if you find the right machine shop.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
Not only that I imagine it could be done with a realistic budget of $4500. Maybe even $4000 if you find the right machine shop.
The heads are 2500! Sounds good though
Old 01-12-2020, 06:08 PM

Turbo.
Lots of room in the truck for intercooler.
I would do a 350 or LSx.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in