Swapping to a 383 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I run a Muncie 4-speed with a 3.89 rear and a 28.5" tall tire (235/75-15) and at 70 I'm turning 3200 RPMs. 65 is around 3000. So it has a ton of punch anywhere from 55 and on up, great for passing. My problem with it was around town with the cam, it lugged bad with the 3.56 rear and I'd have to drop it into 3rd. I needed it to be a minimum of 1500 RPMs in 4th.

All you need to do is plug-and-chug your ratio options into an online calculator to see what you'll have for revs, agree on tire size being a big factor.

This one is pretty good.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc-rpm.php

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls83 View Post
Thank you and yes, money will be well spent. I'm a engine tech...heavy equipment... most important is the powertrain, build it perfect and it will never fail you.. body panels is the least of my concern... and yes I'll save and pony up for the trans.. I'm a manual tranny guy..I love the Intel man, I really do... I've never had a reason to build a gasser, but now that I am, its gotta have power. So I agree why not have more. I have everything planned out except for this cam/head combo. But, I'll have the head checked, if I need valve work to flow better and the head is good what should be done to accommodate the 18cc piston to raise compression to that 10.5 to 11...if nothing else I can cram more air in via supercharger? Correct? Weighing options....head work, swap pistons, more air.... remind you I'll save money and eat ramen lol.., but I have a vision and dream of a classics 66 chevy laying down rubber and cruising man. I'll keep up this thread with updates if you dont mind. I greatly appreciate the help sir.
1st - if forced induction of any nature is more of a consideration than bench racing, then drop the Vortecs and go aluminum for the mere reason of heat dissipation alone. Also, that's even more of a reason to lose that darn Thumper and pick a real cam. If you decide on it, then the forced induction means you need more spring pressure than a FT is going to provide reliably. The supercharger allows for more of a NA grind that can be swapped between NA and supercharged at lower psi (sub 12psi) IMO.

FWIW, your comment that I put in bold is what keeps me going with this hobby. Saturday I was working on the cold weather tune for starting and decided to head out for a short cruise and rolling roastey smokey's - supplying a large smile to my face before the 4" of snow that we had land last night I guess Summer is officially over.

Good luck to you and keep us posted - Jim
Old 11-13-2018, 04:48 PM

454 (bored running peanuts) th400 with 3.73 or 4.11 gearing out the back.

Proven combo with room to grow. Allows you to smoke the tires and cruise when needed.

Before you dismiss the peanuts you have some homework and research to look over which may change your mind. Read or at least skim over this link.

tips on building a peanut port big block combo | Grumpys Performance Garage

Starting with a 454 you just make power that you will fight to reach using a small block dollar per dollar(500 ft/lbs with junkyard heads). Not only can the budget be smaller but the thing is usually less stressed staying under 4000 rpm cruising under/around 3000. With a 454 you can maintain that classic 66 cruiser that can also get lost in a cloud of tire smoke any time you choose.

If you build a engine for peak torque from 3000-4000 rpm you will always have that torque curve within reach. Build it to be a screamer that makes peak power around 7000 and you will find you almost never rev the thing that high on the street. Or if you do the engine will have a shorter lifespan then the one making power at 1/2 the rpm. Been there done that. Build it for torque and be happy.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Thanks nailhead, I'm loving my hobby. My dad had a 64 and I loved it. Before my mom passed away earlier this year she said build your dream truck before it's too late. Here I am today, 6 months later and at least 1/4 way through my build and loving her advise. Carshows for fun and building for the love of building. I work in a dealership on everyones cars, now it's time for me to smile as well. I'll keep yall updated on her and thanks for all the information, knowledge is priceless and I greatly appreciate it
The Following User Says Thank You to Smalls83 For This Useful Post:
64nailhead (11-13-2018)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in