T56 Tansmission feels loose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 03:56 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Wiki Edits: 0

T56 Tansmission feels loose

The shifter on my T56 transmission feels loose.
Otherwise the transmission works well. No bad sounds, stays in gear etc.

Someone told me it might be the plastic shifter cup bushing that's worn, and I have ordered a new one. Is is a fairly straigt forward job to shift it, as long as the access to the 4 bolt fastened shifter console is ok?

Just loosen the 4 bolts, pull up the console, change bushing, put the console back on and that's it?
No loose parts that might fall into the transmission when I pull off the console?

One more thing:
B&M short throw shifter console. Will it make a big difference from the stock one? Is it only the shifter itself that is shorter? I don't understand....?
I already have a non stock shifter, so if that's the issue, I'll just cut down the one I have a bit.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Capt Mike

staleg,,

What Car, engine, mileage, Trans Fluid..

Yes, there are plastic parts and once they get worn,, can be problematic.

A shorted Shift Handle can increase the effort.

I purchase a new T-56 Super Mag Level V from RPM Transmission. You could review some of their offerings and get a good idea of what are the common upgrade.

I don't know if they sell parts, but your could call their Tech Support, ask for Shane.

Also search for T-56 repairs and shift repairs.

Here's the Tremic T-56 Service Manual, a long read.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM_T56_0711.pdf

And here's a good Mag article.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0603...-transmission/

Good Luck,

Michael...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptMike For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 04:02 AM

Thanks.
Unknown mileage.
T56 from a Chevy LT1 1992-25 Corvette/Camaro engine.

I have ordered a new plastic shifter cup, and found a used B&M T56 short throw shifter on Ebay for 110 USD and bougth that.
All in all two low priced upgrades that i consider worth trying.

I'm not racing my hot rod, so even if the transmission have lived a hard life earlier, it still might work well for me many years to come.
And even if it should need a rebuild in the near future, the short throw shifter will be an proper upgrade, due to limited space between the seats.

Last edited by staleg; 11-04-2019 at 04:24 AM.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:12 AM

There is a bronze shifter bushing in the aftermarket. To be frank, internal rail shifted garboxes feel different from the traditional, externally shifted gearboxes of the 50s-80s. Not necessarily worse, just different; although some love/hate them.

Most of your aftermarket shifters for these have shorter handles and stiffer springs, which people perceive as better feeling. Is it worth the money? Thats your call.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Capt Mike

staleg,

The late Corvettes mated to the LT1 had a ZF 6 Speed manual trans, not a Tremic T-56.

In 1997 up C5 Corvette initiated the LS1 mated to the rear mounted Trans-Axle with a Tremic bolted directly to the Diffy. So If you have a Tremic, it's not from a Vette.

In 1997 or 1998, forgeet which, Camaro also changed to the LS1 with a Tremic bolted on the engine, as did the Fire Bird and WS6.

So, what engine do you have installed ?

And how about a photo and part number from the Transmission ??

The ZF and Tremic T-56 are nothing close to a Borg Warner, Muncie or Saginaw 4 speed trans. These T-56 and ZF transmissions are extremely complicated, and using tapered bearings require precision fitment & assembly !!

Frankly I've never looked at a Tremic or ZF1 exploded view of the components closely, as I have No interest.

I've had several of the Tremic out of our cars, Vette's and my '56 Chevy has a LS1 & T-56, So far Zero Issues. there a very solid Trans, but do follow the power ratings.. The common issues that I spoke to and read about are more difficult Shifts.

Good luck with the Shifter and small parts, post your news and photos too.

We have changed to Royal Purple Syncro-Max Trans Fluid in both our C5's and the '56 Chevy Coupe. This lube is an amazing product. My Son's C5 ZO6 had a slightly stiff Shift and a bit of gear noise @ 20k miles - never abused or power shifts. Ended his issues immediately

I recommend that you Search Syncro-Max,, particularly what's posted on the Corvette Forums ..re the -Max and their Diffy gear lubes. The change should quite your gears and provide smoother operation.

Also if you have swapped the engine & Tremic from Factory mated pairs,, installed a different Bell Housing IE a "SFI approved Steel Bell housing" , then you will need to Dial in the Bell Hosing with a Tremic front Trans Plate. There's no way around this.

I spoke with an Engineer at Tremic, last year during my new project, and the after market steel bells housings and rarely aligned properly and usually require offset Dowel pins, a royal PITA. GM's are all cast and precision machined, but offer no protection, Catch 22.

The Tremic T-56's Don't have a concentric Round Hole where the Trans mates to on the Bell Housing, so the's no way the Dial in the Bell without a T-56 front plate. Tremic has several Tech Articles re this process. Not Dialing in the trans can cause several predicable issues and trans failure !! They have a great Tech Support Staff, if your puzzled do give them a call.

Good Luck,

Michael...
Old 11-04-2019, 12:39 PM

If you want an easy way to dial in a t56; there is a reference plate
https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/...dicator-plate/

Now; remember that concentricity and parallelism are not just the responsibility of the bellhousing. You also need to acknowledge that block casting core shift, line-boring, crank bearing tolerances and the flywheel will effect that dimension. HOWEVER, tapered bearing gearboxes are VERY sensitive to runout/parallelism. Our ballbearing gearboxes are less so, but still perform better when you limit runout to .005"TIR or less, and out-of-parallel to .002"
Old 11-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Capt Mike

AutoGear ,

Dead on correct !! You out in NY ??

Here's a photo of the first attempt to dial in the QT SFI bell housing on my '37 build. Time consuming, but I believe perfection or as close too is mandatory.

These were very good numbers, but after I changed the mounting of the indicator to one that was stronger so it didn't flex,,, the numbers were much better, well within Spec. Run-out of the SFI flywheel fro Monster was less than 0.001.

M...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37 T56 ist aligh pass low res.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	449335  
Old 11-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Mike;

Yep, beautiful, scenic Syracuse NY. Former home of New Process Gear and Brown-Lipe. Home of manual gearboxes since ~1888. We are a quirky bunch LOL
Old 11-05-2019, 02:15 PM

Thanks for your answers!
I have bought the transmission used.
But since I bolted ut up to my 1st gen 1 pcs rear main seal 1992 model Chevy small block 350, with no problems, and it has worked well the last 5 years, it has to be a transmission from a LT-1 GM car.

LS transmissions don't bolt directly up to 1st gen CSB.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Capt Mike

AutoGear,,

Ya, I thought so. name sounded familiar.. Quirky, yep so are we. Finicky Engineers...

staleg, then prob a Camaro, Firebird etc..

You might think about getting an oil analysis kit and having your trans fluid tested. We usually get 6 or so kits at time. We use ALS in out of Portland OR. I think the kits are under $20 each. Knowing what metals are floating around in your Trans can be very beneficial !!

Best to find out prior to breaking or damaging expensive components.

good luck,

Michael..
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptMike For This Useful Post:
staleg (11-06-2019)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in