T8 LED tubes to replace 20 T12 Flourescent ones - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

T8 LED tubes to replace 20 T12 Flourescent ones

Looking for advice from anybody who has done this. I have 10, 2 tube T12 lights I am looking to upgrade to LED tubes. the electricity use will be less than 1/2, and the light should be 50% brighter... what am I missing?

I am looking at 4000K 18watt tubes on amazon. Anybody here done this??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Global Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: 1962 Morris Minor 1000
Wiki Edits: 1659

My shop has 8 foot dual tube fixtures. Single contact stud on each end of the tube. T12 tubes, 75 watt.

I bought some LED 8 foot bypass tubes. You remove the ballast in the fixture. Wire 110 volt direct. Hot & common wires must be wired correctly.

LED tubes, 40 watt, clear tube cover, 4400 lumens, 6000K light color (daylight) .. i paid 25.00 a tube plus freight. I bought 2 tubes first to test. Then bought 6 more tubes. Still need more.

I bought the LED tubes from Green lite Depot in Georgia.

The light quality difference is amazing for me. I like these LED Tubes. They come on near instant (about 1 second delay) , cold weather does not affect the light output. My shop is only about 60*F at the coldest in winter

My shop ceiling is 13 feet high to fit my car lift... the LED tube light output is great for my 60+ yr old eyes
Rip VW (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 PM

LED Tubes

I work for an LED Company.

What size are the tubes 4 foot?

If they are 4 foot tubes -- get 18 watt led tubes that will work with 100-277Vac. Powered to both ends. The ballasts in the T12 tubes are magnetic type and will not work with LED ballast compatible tubes.

Make sure you turn off the power. You will cut all the wires as close to the ballast as possible. Take all the wires that go to the right side of the lamp and strip the ends and twist all of them together. Do the same with the left side. Now you have 2 wires.... connect one to one side of the AC line and connect the other side to the other AC line. Install lights before you turn the power back on as the ends will be live AC. Turn on the lights and wala!

As for what color temp We suggest in most mechanical work areas to go with 5000k color temp. !8 watt tubes with at least 2000 lumens. 5000k makes objects look more like Hi definition much sharper looking.

And that's my 2 cents.....

Old 01-27-2017, 09:42 PM

Yes 48" tubes, I've wired tons of ballasts, wiring for LED's will be easier than paying for them!

5000k.... Brighter can't hurt!
Old 01-28-2017, 07:18 AM

I have 8 footers in my garage,any recommendations?thanks

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 08:38 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

power company rebates

sometimes the electrical company will have rebates. 3 years ago when we were doing the elecrical work in our Duplex, our contact at the Pro Desk in Lowes told us there was a rebate starting in a week . We bought 84 Led can lite conversion kits and 6 pack boxes of empty cans . Our final cost with our contractor discount was $ 4 for each led and $ 6 for the cans. Later we got the cord plug and chain hung 4 ft leds for the garages for about $ 30 each. I had about 30 4 ft 4 tube flouresent fixtures removed from a grocery store but the new led.s were cheaper than conversions .Usually the rebates only run for a limited time.
Call your power company and a commercial electrical suplier to find out if any rebates are happening again.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym

These are another way that I heard are amazing.

4400 Lumen Led Utility Bulb - Modern - Led Bulbs - by Keystone Group USA/ Keystone Fabrics/ Keystone LED
Old 03-02-2017, 11:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

We are installing these grids 35ft off the floor in sections of 4000 individual lumieres at our new facility, they simply screw to an aluminum channel in sections of 20 ft daisy chained together with one ballast serving each section.

Next gen lighting, don't even want to know the cost...we have six of these groupings.

Tetra PowerGrid | Architectural LED Lighting | Current, powered by GE

— Han Solo
Old 03-04-2017, 04:54 PM

I converted my shop from T12 florescent to T8 led bulbs from FIET. They wire to 110 direct.

Shop around a bit, I found mine for under $15 each locally. Costco also has LED replacement bulbs at a good price
Old 03-24-2017, 06:20 PM

I recently changed out the 4 ft T12s in my home shop to LED tubes.

Andy gives good advice on what to look for in LED tubes. Get the ones that are capable of use with line voltage and get rid of the ballasts. Some are wired with both legs of power to one end with the other end dead. Don't get those. Buy the ones that are powered to both ends as it makes the installation simpler.

Buy frosted tubes rather than clear. Clear tubes look like a string of bright spots at normal ceiling height while the frosted diffuses the light as you'd expect from a fluorescent. 5000K is ideal IMO and makes the old "cool white" fluorescents look yellow in comparison.

Bought mine from Amazon. Sunco Lighting brand. Chinese as all of them are. $89 for box of 10 tubes with free ship and no sales tax. 5 yr warranty and 50,000 hr average life. There's a bazillion sellers of various tubes on amazon with prices all over the place. Cheapest was about $8/tube in lots of 20 but they had no stock until mid April and no reviews. The Sunco brand was a buck more, in stock, and with a couple hundred good reviews. Real well pleased with them so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to TubeTek For This Useful Post:
ntfday (03-24-2017)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in