tacky paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

tacky paint

Hello,

I got my 65' Chevelle ready to paint and had my father paint it. We first started it with base/clear paint. White base for coverage and a silver top coat. The temp outside was making the paint dry as soon as it hit the panel (using the slowest reducer we could get). He made the decision to get a couple of quarts of single stage urethane and then clear over it. We've done this (single stage/clear) technique before, but it was acrylic enamel w/o hardener. He didn't add hardener to the urethane when he sprayed it and it is still tacky and soft, needless to say, we didn't apply the clear.
My question to you guys is what are my options? I read that the urethane w/o hardener will never cure or dry? I also read that the paint would have to be chemically washed off and the body re-prepped. how do I go about chemically washing the paint off? What kind of PIMA is it going to be and can it be done, the body resanded, sealed and base/clear applied???

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Urethane will never dry without the hardener. You gots a mess brother. Wash it off with lacquer thinner.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster_G View Post
Urethane will never dry without the hardener. You gots a mess brother. Wash it off with lacquer thinner.
That's what I was afraid of! Big mess indeed, especially a whole car!

Will thinner evaporate too fast? Will it cause any other issues?

Old 05-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 6,542 Times in 4,238 Posts
Wow, I would try a urethane reducer first so that way it doesn't attack the substrate. But I hope you have a cured urethane or epoxy primer and then this would probably be ok to rub with a lacquer thinner soaked rag. Do one panel at a time and have your respirator on as if you were painting, and lots of air movement, this is going to be a FUNKY job for sure!

Brian
Old 05-08-2018, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

This is a BIG gamble, but I had a friend who painted his Corvette years ago, and forgot the hardener. He applied a few coats over the top with hardener and that hardener with reducer soaked into the first coats and it did look like it was cured. But this would be a BIG gamble.

Brian
Old 05-14-2018, 05:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Take it from a seasoned painter, theres only one way to fix this, wash it all off with lacquer thinner pay special attention to nooks and crannies, door edges etc..., be sure to wear some kind of gloves so the thinner wont absorb into your skin. cloth rags might work best, using a pile of them will keep them wetter longer. thinner will leave a residue so be sure to rescuff and reprep with W&G. be glad you only have one to do I had 8 when the painter did that and quit instead of fixing his mess. Well, he called himself a painter anyways, I was calling him everything but. It took a day and 1/2 to do all 8 cars so its not THAT hard to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Take it from a seasoned painter, theres only one way to fix this, wash it all off with lacquer thinner pay special attention to nooks and crannies, door edges etc..., be sure to wear some kind of gloves so the thinner wont absorb into your skin. cloth rags might work best, using a pile of them will keep them wetter longer. thinner will leave a residue so be sure to rescuff and reprep with W&G. be glad you only have one to do I had 8 when the painter did that and quit instead of fixing his mess. Well, he called himself a painter anyways, I was calling him everything but. It took a day and 1/2 to do all 8 cars so its not THAT hard to do.

HOLY CRAP!

That is NOT a good day, WOW.

Brian
Old 05-14-2018, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
HOLY CRAP!

That is NOT a good day, WOW.

Brian

Been through the same scenario myself with a "supposed" painter. A half dozen cars later. Fun. fun!

LOL
Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 AM

A long ,long time ago I decided to run a macco, 8 cars was about our usual day. I knew the next day what was going on but I was the only one that could wash it all off properly so being the supervisor or not I had to do it. I moved one of the sanders to the paint shop because he's been painting at home for a couple years, at 10:00am he started painting and didnt stop until 10:00 pm he got us caught up in 3 days of long hours. 30 years later, Hes still a painter but works at a nice shop that pays very well. He was a good worker and I gave him a great reference. So at least it was a great day for him.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
A long ,long time ago I decided to run a macco, 8 cars was about our usual day. I knew the next day what was going on but I was the only one that could wash it all off properly so being the supervisor or not I had to do it. I moved one of the sanders to the paint shop because he's been painting at home for a couple years, at 10:00am he started painting and didnt stop until 10:00 pm he got us caught up in 3 days of long hours. 30 years later, Hes still a painter but works at a nice shop that pays very well. He was a good worker and I gave him a great reference. So at least it was a great day for him.
That's where I was working when I was a kid when it happened. They had hired an experienced painter. I was trying to get out of there on to bigger and better things. It is a good place to get some gun time and develop some skills.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:41 AM

You'll learn more about being a painter in 6 months at Macco than anywhere.
You have to paint around 8 cars a day (1 an hour) thats 40 a week 160 a month it'll take a couple days to get it down and a month to really get into the groove, after that your a full blown painter that can paint anywhere. you'll know how to mix paint by a formula, paint fast, without runs, SS paint and BC/CC. What you wont learn is how to blend, you'll have to practice that when nobody is looking. Most collision shops are all about the blending NOT overall paint jobs so learning how to blend is very important. I showed my new painter how to blend and thats just what I told him practice but dont let the boss catch you, He never went back there anyway so it wasnt a problem.
The nice thing about Macco is they'll usually hire you on the spot, sanders are hired every day because they dont always show up on time or at all so if you come off as someone wanting to learn and work hard they'll fire a sander and your in. Collision shops will only hire experienced help.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 05-14-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

So the painter at Maaco does nothing but mix, and paint? Trusting that someone else has prepped it properly? 8 cars a day is a lot for a painter to prep, and paint, in 8 hours.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
So the painter at Maaco does nothing but mix, and paint? Trusting that someone else has prepped it properly? 8 cars a day is a lot for a painter to prep, and paint, in 8 hours.
Maaco is what it is.
Maaco is about the upsell. The one I painted at used single stage urethane on the all overs vs. some of the acrylics and synthetic paints some use. The paint price gets some rock chips sanded, maybe a little lacquer primer here and there, all the trim taped, and painted. Bodywork, removing parts, painting loose parts etc. is extra. The way the system works is you have a sanding crew, a taping guy or 2, a painter, and a detail guy or 2. The painter paints out of a pressure pot for all overs, meaning you mix and reduce the paint and load the whole batch into a tank. You can put three coats on a car in 20 minutes and be done. Most that I have been in have a booth with a forward oven, so you let the car flash and roll it forward into the oven. While I was mixing paint the detailer and taper moved the next round of cars into position and the next one in the booth. You can paint 8-10 in a day that way. I painted spot jobs and special projects at the end of the day where they could sit overnight without being moved. The one I worked at we did quite a few resto/higher end type jobs charged accordingly of course. The biggest disappointment was always to those who thought they were going to get a 5k paint job for $350. We were always very clear and showed fished work on the lot that this is what a $350 job is. I don't know what they get now as this was many moons ago.They are independently owned so there are some differences in the quality and the capability between them. They chase a certain market. If you have an older beater/daily/flip you want to make one color it's not a bad deal if you have the proper expectations.

Last edited by Hipster_G; 05-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3gamefarm View Post
Thats right,...... preped it properly?????? at Macco? come on, man. How properly can you prep a car in one hour?
Theres a couple sanders, they sand and scuff the car. depending on how many cars are in line dictates how much sanding time they get, 1-2 hours avg. then its brought to the booth where the maskers dewax it and mask it up they try to have one all taped up and ready to paint at all times but they have about an hour to get it done, theres usually 1-2 maskers and a really good masker that can keep up is hard to find. then it gets painted and while its still wet it gets moved to the next booth to get baked and the painter starts painting the next one. 8-10 cars is the norm when everything is working right. At the end of the day theres a car in the booth waiting for the painter in the morning and one all taped up and ready to go in the booth Then the guys get to go home. when you get the right bunch of guys on the team it really works well, the big problem is with managemant keeping the team together $$$$$$.
Sounds like hipster knows what he's talking about. Id have him paint a car for me any day.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 05-20-2018 at 05:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in