tbi to carb, ecm and wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

tbi to carb, ecm and wiring

Hey there, I am new to the forum and have a question regarding the ecm. I have a 1990 454 ss and im removing the tbi 454 and putting an 80's carbed 454 in (not sure on exact year). My question is, what do I do with the ecm? If I get rid of it do I have to rewire everything, like my ignition, headlights, power windows, ect... Obviously im not sure if everything runs through the ecm or if it only controls fuel. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014

shop manual?

The first thing to do is get the shop manuals for the '90 truck and '80 truck to find out what is controlled by the ECM on each vehicle. ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Even though the '80 engine has a carb it also will have an ECM that will control the carb and the timing. Try to get the '80 ECM and sensors from the donor car.

This engine could be made to work with a non-ECM carb and distributor. Aftermarket or boneyard.

In the '80s the auto makers were in a transition period to comply with the CAFE laws etc. Some strange things were being produced to comply.

vicrod
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

Any chance you could keep the tbi? Did the 454 change enough you cannot swap out the intake? I think there was a head deck height change but I cannot recall what year. If it can be converted to tbi I would go for it in a heart beat.
I am not found of carbs, unless I keep it all original.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod View Post
The first thing to do is get the shop manuals for the '90 truck and '80 truck to find out what is controlled by the ECM on each vehicle. ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Even though the '80 engine has a carb it also will have an ECM that will control the carb and the timing. Try to get the '80 ECM and sensors from the donor car.

This engine could be made to work with a non-ECM carb and distributor. Aftermarket or boneyard.

In the '80s the auto makers were in a transition period to comply with the CAFE laws etc. Some strange things were being produced to comply.

vicrod

I see... Again, I don't know the exact year, so im hoping the donor truck can be 80-85 and still work. The casting date on the block is unreadable. Would it be easier to go non-ecm, I am doing a mild to moderate build. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by chevy454ss; 01-09-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Any chance you could keep the tbi? Did the 454 change enough you cannot swap out the intake? I think there was a head deck height change but I cannot recall what year. If it can be converted to tbi I would go for it in a heart beat.
I am not found of carbs, unless I keep it all original.
I did think about that but I got a good deal on the new engine. im also stubborn and wanted to go carb haha, it'll probably kick me in the *** when I try to tune it properly.

Tags
ecm, tbi

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in