TCI frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TCI frame

Hello rodders, jest got my new frame for my 1930model a 5/window. it looks great , but the front shock mounts look odd , their centered with the axel, is this correct? the frame is made by Tci ,the axel , vega sterring box and the radius rods all bolt up great . any ideas? thanks Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 10:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips
Wiki Edits: 1

TCI frame

I would think that there is no problem. The shock will mount in front of the shock bracket on the frame and on the front of the shock bracket on the axle. Do you have a picture of this?

Old 04-17-2006, 10:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Wiki Edits: 6

The above photo....taken from the TCI on-line catalog......clearly shows the shock mounts in line with the axle......

This photo of my 32 3W chassis shows the same thing...... ..but my 32 chassis is NOT a TCI built frame. It is a original 32 Ford frame built with TCI parts and pieces.....

Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 PM

Model A Coupe. Period.

No 5-window Model A's.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:29 PM

TCI frame

All Model A coupes were five windows. No three windows. Therefore they were just called Model A coupes.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM

My point exactly.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

I own one..I just call it a coupe. But at a lot of shows it is referred to as a five window...Sheeeesh! I guess thats because it has five windows huh?

Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Glad To Be Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
All Model A coupes were five windows. No three windows. Therefore they were just called Model A coupes.
NOT SO!!!

The Ford Model 'A' Sport Coupe and the Ford Model 'A' Cabriolet and the Ford Model 'A' Business Coupe all had three windows (2 door windows and 1 rear window) and a leather/fabric top and sides. The top on the Cabriolet could be folded down.

The Ford Model 'A' Standard and the Deluxe Coupes both had five windows (2 door windows, 2 quarter windows and 1 rear window). The Standard Coupe had a trunk while the Deluxe came with a rumble seat.

There also was a metal top three window Ford Model 'A' that was manufactured but never was put into production. See photo below.

Isn't it great to learn something new!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1930Model A Standard Business Coupe.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	11694   Click image for larger version

Name:	1931_Model_A_Ford_Sports_Coupe.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	11695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford_1928_Special_Coupe.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	11696   Click image for larger version

Name:	1930prototype3windowcoupe.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	11697  

Last edited by Frisco; 04-20-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:10 PM

I was not trying so come across as an az hole - just pointing out to a new pre-war Ford owner the popular vernacular.

99.99999% of early Ford enthusiasts refer to a standard steel-back '28-31 coupe as a "coupe". I don't want our new friend David to sound like a wet-behind the ears newbie when he is trying to talk some 90 year old tin dealer out of a primo set of garnish moldings at a swap meet by refering to his coupe as being a "5-window". A $200 set becomes $500 if they think you are one of those " hot-rodders!"

I took the Lords name in vain.....out of your post...
DEUCE....

Last edited by Deuce; 04-20-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:06 AM

You are right Frisco. I didn't even think of the sport coupe. But the cabriolet was not a coupe although it did look like a sport coupe. It was closer to a convertible.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Glad To Be Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
You are right Frisco. I didn't even think of the sport coupe. But the cabriolet was not a coupe although it did look like a sport coupe. It was closer to a convertible.
To educate and knit pick just a little...the cabriolet had coupe doors and the top did fold down. Still was a coupe.

Definition....roadster...removable or fold down top. No roll up windows in the doors. Usually had side curtains. Front passenger seating only.

Definition....convertible...removable or fold down top. Windows that would roll up and down in doors. Usually had a rear seat as well as the front.

As to referring to a Ford Model 'A' Coupe as a 5 window coupe...this is still very correct for most models and there is absolutely no reason for David or anyone else to feel that they should not use this wording. As to the "90 year old tin dealer"...I'm almost 65 and been fooling with Model 'A's since I was 14. Stock and Hot Rodded. I still refer to the Standard and/or Deluxe coupe as a five window. Basically, Ford offered what most folks call a three window coupe from 1932 thru 1936. The 1932 model wasn't even built by Ford ( I believe it was built by Briggs).

Now what I have a difficult time accepting is when the Ford Model 'A' is referred to as an 'A' Model rather than a Model 'A', or when so many folks don't even know that the 1932 Ford had a Model 'B' and how many are aware of the Model 'C'??? Changing brands for a moment...How many know that Chevrolet V-8 engines were offered in 1917-1918 or that Nash had a pushbutton trans in the mid teens (about 1915)? History is a very important part of this hobby. So much to learn in such a short time.

All in all... Call them what you wish. I'm just delighted that there are folks that still enjoy them!

I hope to be posting some photos soon of my current project. A 1930 Ford Model 'A' five window coupe, frame similar to TCI, channeled, fenderless, not chopped, 350/350, 9" Ford rear, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
To educate and knit pick just a little...Basically, Ford offered what most folks call a three window coupe from 1932 thru 1936. The 1932 model wasn't even built by Ford ( I believe it was built by Briggs).
Incorrect........

At least for the 1932 Ford 3W coupe.......they were made by Murray....

Here's mine.....a 1932 3W coupe

They even have a small metal tag on the floor stating " Murray Body Company " and the serial number of that particular body.....

A few 'under construction' photos of my 3W under it's transformation to a HOT ROD ....are in my project journal.....
Old 04-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Glad To Be Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Incorrect........

At least for the 1932 Ford 3W coupe.......they were made by Murray....

Here's mine.....a 1932 3W coupe

They even have a small metal tag on the floor stating " Murray Body Company " and the serial number of that particular body.....

A few 'under construction' photos of my 3W under it's transformation to a HOT ROD ....are in my project journal.....
Thanks Deuce for the correction. I knew it wasn't by Ford but couldn't remember whether it was Briggs or Murray.

I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the progress with your latest project. Looks absolutely fantastic!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks for the info Frisco, I really enjoyed reading it and learning from it. I really like five window Model A Coupes.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in