Temp gauge problems?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2019, 07:14 PM
4 chevys and a ford

Wiki Edits: 0

Temp gauge problems??

My 2001 4.3l vortec overheated. I did not notice the gauge until the engine was already overheated. Ouch!! First time for this engine. I have kept up with the engine, and now I will always stress about how many miles I shaved off its life. Right after that, I noticed the gauge was reading erratically. Low, high, back and forth, and about a day later, it stopped moving all together.

I replaced the sensor at the manifold, right next to the thermostat, but still no reading. I read that older models have 2 sensors; one for the computer, and one for the gauge, but eventually 1 sensor was used for everything.

I am hoping a Chevy guy can help enlighten me.

Are there common issues with the system? Especially after an overheat?
Such as problrms with the gauge?

If my gauge is reading cold at all times, is the computer running as if the engine is cold?

Thanks
Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 04:42 PM

Since your engine would have a mechanical fan I am assuming then it should only have one temperature sending unit and it will be either by the thermostat housing or on the side of the cylinder head or if you had two then I would guess one in both places but I could not say for a hundred percent but from what I typed into google its only showing one spot and depending on what year some have it at the thermostat housing and others on the cylinder head at the side between the spark plug area.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:25 AM

Last journal entry: Engine replacement

A key question - what made it overheat and what did you fix or try to fix to resolve the overheating? Something made it happen and you need to change that condition/factor to prevent overheating again.

Unless you really fried the engine and then just kept driving, I doubt that one instance of moderate overheating will be that significant for engine life. Temp sending units are usually pretty durable, but there is a chance that it was already on the way out (the fluctuating gauge), and the overheating just put it over the edge.

You need to look up your make/model and determine if the temperature sender is a direct connection to the gauge, or it only provides input to the computer. When newer vehicles went to a single sending unit it was often connected to the computer, and the computer drove the reading on the gauge.

GM and Ford both had problems with the stepper motors that make the computer-controlled gauge needles move, which can lead to very incorrect readings. At engine start-up the computer zeros the gauge (you see the need flip back to zero), and then it takes a sensor reading and steps the gauge needle up to the right position. If the stepper motor gets "lazy" it may not make it back to the zero point soon enough, and the computer "steps" the needle up to the wrong point on the gauge. I had a 2005 Mustang where this started to happen on both the temp gauge and tachometer, and the stepper motors had to be replaced. There are several vendors out there that do this repair to GM and Ford gauge clusters.

Bruce

Bruce

Old 08-31-2019, 09:25 PM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
A key question - what made it overheat and what did you fix or try to fix to resolve the overheating?
Bruce
I wondered the same thing, and how did he know it overheated?

And not just a funky gauge saying so. An overheating condition, and gauge going south. Does not pass the smell test.
Pep

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in