Thinking about getting a welder - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 10:26 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,028 Posts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 AM

i bought my clarke off eday and got a killer deal. as far as welding goes, i started with oxy-acet 35 years ago. then learned stick. mig is relative new to me. as for tanks, i always turn them on just before welding, purge the hoses--weld. then turn the tanks off as soon as i am done. even if i am going to weld 10 minutes later i still turn the tank off and on. when i go back to welding before i turn on the machine, i open the bottle and pull the trigger and listen for those 3 seconds of "PSSSST" then turn the machine on and i know i am good to go.
i am useing my clarke to weld up the frame on my corvette C-2 grand sport project (and there are tons of welds to be done there). lincoln, miller, but also clarke are the best. the clarke is not chinese crap, it is made in italy. buy what you want..
Old 02-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
...... the clarke is not chinese crap, it is made in italy. buy what you want..
And they have a heck of a warranty

Shane

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM

hey shane, i never looked at the warrenty, i just weld the crap out of it and it just keeps going--warranty-schmoranty--who cares.

i notice you took welding classes and have a clarke, how do you like it???
Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
hey shane, i never looked at the warrenty, i just weld the crap out of it and it just keeps going--warranty-schmoranty--who cares.

i notice you took welding classes and have a clarke, how do you like it???
Yes I took welding classes and am certified with mig and stick on plate and mig on pipe.
Clarkes have a 10-year limited warranty on transformer
I have only used mine with flux core wire, and have no complaints. They are a very good welder,at a very good price.

Shane
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 PM

what, WHAT, W H A T, ??????? if you are certified with mig what are you doing with flux-core. maybe you need to take some oxy-acet or arc welding classes--don't make me come to the east coast and slap you around... i am too busy messing with cars.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM

OH, BY THE WAY SHANE, i was oxy-acet welding and arc welding before you were born. forget that flux. get yourself an oxy and acet tanks and learn how to gas weld. it is the best, you can do any other type of welding after you learn oxy-acet welding--your friend--techron...
Old 02-17-2008, 03:32 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

I bought Used

The college where i was teaching automotive closed down their welding program. I bought one of the airco units that had built in high frequency for $100..I stick weld with it and sometimes tig...I plan on buying a new tig that has foot pedal or handle heat controll so i can do lighter work. I bought a big lincoln wire feed and the guy threw in $300 new cost of wire, grinders helmets.. we did a concrete drive way for a guy and got a lincoln gasoline powered portable unit, handy on the farm. Tig needs ac so you can weld aluminum. ... for used tools I always look for good quality made in the USA..might cost the same as new cheap foreign stuff but USa lasts longer and parts are easier to find.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
get yourself an oxy and acet tanks and learn how to gas weld. it is the best, you can do any other type of welding after you learn oxy-acet welding--your friend--techron...

That's no joke, NOTHING teaches the basics like gas welding! When gas welding you see every little thing thats going on and you have to develop a feel for it. This will follow you when you move on to arc welding and make you a much better welder. I have known welders that have been at the trade for many years that still never have developed the feel for actually blending (about the best way I know to describe it) the weld and the base metal and they simply apply wire or rod without knowing exactly whats happening. Once you master gas welding you then know HOW to weld and it's simply a matter of learning to use the new equipment when you move to arc welding. Get those tanks and go for it!
Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I bought one of the airco units that had built in high frequency for $100..

Stealing is NOT nice!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:46 PM

oldred, i bow to you when it comes to welding. but i agree, i learned on oxy-acet and i learned to move the puddle and when it sagged you dip the rod into it to build it up. you know you are getting good penetration when there's a bead on the opposite side. i used to show guys "this is a good weld" by sticking the rod right through the puddle and have it go right through the back side--of course it looks pretty silly to see a peice of welding rod sticking out of the back side of your weld. but it's a good demonstration...and good penatration!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
what, WHAT, W H A T, ??????? if you are certified with mig what are you doing with flux-core. maybe you need to take some oxy-acet or arc welding classes--don't make me come to the east coast and slap you around... i am too busy messing with cars.
I actually dont mind flux core too bad,I just havent gotten an argon tank for it yet,Mig is cleaner, but flux core isn't that bad....I'm certified with arc also.

Quote:
OH, BY THE WAY SHANE, i was oxy-acet welding and arc welding before you were born. forget that flux. get yourself an oxy and acet tanks and learn how to gas weld. it is the best, you can do any other type of welding after you learn oxy-acet welding--your friend--techron...
I have an oxy propane cutting and welding set up, Gas Welding is fun also,I learned to gas weld before ever striking an arc with a stick or welding with mig or fluxcore

Shane
Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 AM
'49 Suburban

Last journal entry: Recharging

Lots of you are encouraging learning with O/A before getting a MIG or stick. Is this something I should consider?

'Paul
Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,028 Posts
It is nice to know,But for what you want to do, Just buy a good machine,And start playing around a little,Learn all you can,
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck

I'm a firm believer in buying something once, and only once. Like everyone has said, stick with the brand names. Miller, Lincoln, also check out HTP. They are a newer company, but doing very well and offering a very nice product and great service.

Stick with 220. Especially if you are a new welder and want to do frame work. You need a lot of experience to safely weld some thick steel, especially when it supports your life, and the life of those around you. I would buy a minimum of 180 amps, that will allow you to do 1/4" on the highest setting with some care for your technique and prep. A good rule of thumb is one amp for every .001". So a 140 welder would be good for 1/8", and could push for 3/16" with a skilled operator. A 180 could do 3/16" and push for 1/4" with a skilled operator.

If you're going to do it, do it right the first time. Its more expensive to do it twice. And you're looking at around $1100-1200 for a new welder, cart, bottle, mask, gloves and a spool of wire. If you're going to school for welding most LWS will give you a considerable price break. I just bought a brand new TIG and saved about $350 for going to school.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in