Timing, timing, timing - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2019, 12:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivvgs View Post
no 2 engine- car combos like the same thing. if you have a local drag strip that holds a test and tune session, you can get it right regardless of where the marks are as long as you can record the readings and use marks you have. start with your timing as retarded as you can get off the line with knowing your total say like 28 total. monitor your mph on a full pass forgetting about the seat of the pants advance your total timing in 2 degree increments until the mph quits increasing, back it off to the lowest setting that had the highest mph. write that number down. thats where you want your total to end up. then work on 60 ft retard it back a few and make 60 ft passes I am assuming this car bites.advance the timing and record at what inital advance it best 60 fts. record that number. adjust your advance weights to operate between the best 60 timeing and the best mph timing. and adjust springs to have it all in at convetor lock rpm. vac advance will give more street manners if you hook it to manifold vacuum.unless your carb is way to small. vac will drop off at wide open and mechanical will be the only thime working, but at cruse and light accelleration it will have more manners
This is good information-thank you. Unfortunately The car is not legal for the track due to a cracked windshield. I do have one of those G-tech meters that measure HP/TQ and 1/4 mile times and other things. I'm not sure about 60' times though. Been a while since I last used it. Perhaps I can get close with this thing. Hard to do the 1/4 mile though as on the street even with a rolling start the tires go up in smoke when floored in first gear.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Okay, so I finally got the car out for a nice long drive. Once the engine was warm, about 200*, I noticed some light pinging when in drive and accelerating from 1800 RPMs so I backed out some timing. This thing is also just pig rich at cruise- 3000 RPMs. It's around 12.5 on the AFR. When cruising and I lean into it it doesn't feel crisp, slightly lazy which I feel is due to being rich, not timing. Since there is a correlation between timing and carb tune, where do I start first? I feel I should get the carb close first but don't know. At idle the engine simply doesn't run good unless it's pig rich which I figure is due to the cam. What's a good cruising AFR to shoot for? I know every engine combo is different but is there a general # to go by?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Timing first. Get it close. Sounds like you there now
Carb second.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in