Tips on double flaring lines - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tips on double flaring lines

Previous owner replaced the lines on my 87 with some of that auto parts store green line. I want to throw in some new wheel cylinders and pads in before winter as preventive maintenance. The thing was a wood/plow truck and mud sat/froze/sat on a spot on the axle over the line which caused the new line to rust enough where I believe they will break when I replace that wheel cylinder.

Doing this thing in steps little weekend projects at a time. I replaced the front calipers/pads and hoses a few months ago and want to replace the rear hose hard lines, cylinders and pads next weekend. If I have time I will do some new front rotors and rebuild the hubs before the snow flies.
Next summer I would like to eliminate the factory portioning valve for a adjustable one, maybe add a front line lock, and replace the rest of the lines with nicopp.

For now I just want to do the rear hose and hard lines reusing the fittings.
I have 25' of 3/16 line and a double flare tool from Harbor freight among my old stuff cutters, files, and such. It seems easy enough. But is one of those things I have never done.

Any tips like oil or maybe warming up the nicopp line with a torch slightly. Turning the tool in 1/2 turns or any kind of tricks or tips on what not to do.

Have 25' for what is like a 6' section so If I mess up it is not terrible. But if I had some advice that would lessen the learning curve or have me doing something wrong that seems right.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 PM

Best of luck with that HF double flare tool. I absolutely hate the stuff that auto parts stores carry for brake lines. The green stuff they are coated with resists anything I have thrown against it to remove it short of sanding it off.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:45 PM

Practice a couple of flares with that tool. You can get detailed instructions on how it's done from many folks. Check you tube, there are a few very good tutorials on there.
You need a good tubing cutter, and a good file too. Put some grease on the mandrel and the cone when shaping your flares.
You might have trouble with an HF flaring kit. Their precision stuff isn't usually very good. If your flares come out badly you can get a replacement mandrel that will possibly solve your problem. But if the kit works, great.

As far as the green coated steel line, I have used it. The good is it's cheap and holds shape once formed. The bad is it's stiff as heck. Especially in larger diameters.
I'd suggest getting some of the copper nickel stuff. It's much easier to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3repete For This Useful Post:
cerial (11-04-2018)

Old 11-03-2018, 07:24 PM

when you cut the line, use a file and a drill bit to lightly debur the inside and outside of the tubing. I have a cheap double flare tool and have used it alot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lmsport For This Useful Post:
cerial (11-04-2018), slick56 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:20 PM

Guys I am replacing the green line with nicopp line.

Will use my small tube cutter and the file. The grease and drill bit is something new. But makes sense to debur it nice and clean easily.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:57 PM

The biggest thing is the tools. Some of the cheap flaring tools slip and you get walleyed or incomplete flares. never worked with the NiCopp but have heard it's easier to deal with. A couple of metal coat hangers laying around to make templates for complex bend sections. Hand held tubing benders aren't always capable of doing as tight a radius bend as stock stuff has so I just try to do them where they fit in the factory clips. Tucks are pretty straightforward without a ton of bends.

#1 tip put the fittings on before you flare both ends. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Hipster_G For This Useful Post:
cerial (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:58 AM

Double flaring Ni-Copp is as easy as it comes. If you want to practice, do a couple on the end of the line while it's on the roll yet, cutting each one off as you go. When you're happy, leave the flare on and cut the line to length. Like was said, put the fittings on before doing the second flare. I've pulled that stunt before.
The Following User Says Thank You to 55 Tony For This Useful Post:
cerial (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the confidence. Still waiting on a few frontend parts and will go at the rear axle and maybe the front Friday.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 AM

chamfer the outside of the tubing so it starts easily. also good for attaching hoses by just starting the bulge.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 AM

FWIW, I tried to use the traditional double flaring tools when doing my brake and transmission lines and all it returned was frustration and these were decent tools, not HF or Chinese(they were an older set). I ended up buying this from Eastwood and actually enjoy flaring lines now, if you can believe flaring lines is enjoyable. ALWAYS a perfect double flare even with the coated lines. A bit pricey but well worth it to me considering the absence of any frustrations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bb79ranch For This Useful Post:
lmsport (11-04-2018), slick56 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 AM

flare'n

the problem i ran into was my first of the 2 flares u need to put the inner up against the tubing and not go over in height of the cap. i had problems doing double's until i watched a video and found i was doing the first one wrong.. it worked..

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in