Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   torque converter empty on start up (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/torque-converter-empty-start-up-522797.html)

tommy411 09-09-2019 09:57 PM

torque converter empty on start up

Hi everyone Well got the fittings taken care of now I'm bending the coolant lines out of the hardest steel tubing known to man. Here's the question I don't be-leave I added fluid to the converter many people say its not a problem just put in 4 or 5 qts and start it . Question is as long as there is nowhere for the fluid to leak out why not 8 or 9 qts wouldn't it fill the converter sooner?

Crosley 09-09-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy411 (Post 4693849)
Hi everyone Well got the fittings taken care of now I'm bending the coolant lines out of the hardest steel tubing known to man. Here's the question I don't be-leave I added fluid to the converter many people say its not a problem just put in 4 or 5 qts and start it . Question is as long as there is nowhere for the fluid to leak out why not 8 or 9 qts wouldn't it fill the converter sooner?

No ...

is this a GM T-350 transmission?

Install 4 or 5 qts... Start the engine. Add 4 qts more. Check fluid level. If possible, check the transmission for engagement into gear with brake Applied.

The transmission starts to fill the converter immediately with the engine running

tommy411 09-10-2019 12:29 AM

Yes T-350 So the fluid wont run into the converter just from gravity if its filled past the center of the torque converter? Just curious I will do it the way you recommend looks like you have many credentials Thanks for the advice.

cerial 09-10-2019 01:45 AM

Empty your fluid into a container like below then put your plug back in. https://m.autozone.com/shop-and-gara...RoCzwMQAvD_BwE

Pour in a gallon of new fluid in (5 quarts) giving you an empty container.

A cheap hand pump like below allows you to easily drain the fluid from the catch container into the newly empied gallon container without spills and allows you to easily stop at that 5qt mark. Much better then trying to lift 8+ quarts of fluid.
https://www.harborfreight.com/Multi-...ump-63144.html

Block the wheels and start the car putting it in netural.

While the engine is running warming up pour the remaining(3-5qts) old transmission fluid into the oil/coolant bottle . Look at the side and it will give you the amount in quarts to add to that transmission to top it off.

If this is a rebuild simply write down this number including torque converter, line, and radiatior amounts being added to the 2nd(sometimes 3rd) gallon container.

Now you know the exact amount to pour in.

I fill it up to a quart low then take a short drive to rock things around before checking the level on a flat surface and topping it off. This gets me within 1/2 quart every time.

Then recycle your fluid, clean your containers and pump for the next fluid change.

55 Tony 09-10-2019 08:33 AM

Think of it about the same as if you changed the engine oil and didn't fill the new filter with oil (but not really as bad as that). Most of us feel better that it gets oil quicker, but it's not the end of the world if you didn't fill it first.

And as far as overfilling to fill the converter ... I don't think it would work. I can't imagine how many extra gallons of fluid it would take.

I did just think of something. The pressure or feed line to the cooler comes almost straight out of the converter, so it may be possible to pump fluid backwards into the converter through that line? But I've never heard of anyone doing it. The wrong line will just put fluid in the trans the same as adding it normally so you need to know which line to use. Still thinking weird idea's here ... if you leave the fluid in the freezer/refrigerator before pumping it in, you will be able to feel the converter getting cold if it is really working. I may be way off with this idea, it just came to me and I tend to think up strange idea's.

tommy411 09-10-2019 11:24 AM

Resolved

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to follow the advice starting out with 5 qts and not worry about it. I kinked the first line when I was almost done with it but I have plenty of line to try again. Here's a pic. of the beast.

55 Tony 09-10-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy411 (Post 4693975)
I'm going to follow the advice starting out with 5 qts and not worry about it. I kinked the first line when I was almost done with it but I have plenty of line to try again. Here's a pic. of the beast.

I can't bend steel line worth a crap without a high end bending tool,which I don't have. I had a real mess with hose to steel line to hose. It looked like crap and leaked also. When I got a new radiator recently I ordered a 25' roll of NiCopp line and bent it all by hand.

tommy411 09-10-2019 02:24 PM

I read the tubing reviews and several people said it bent easy well it's about the same as stainless I wanted NiCopp but had forgotten what it was called. I ruined another pc. but it was still long enough for the shorter of the two. I've almost got it bent successfully.