Traction Problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 07:49 AM
brains

Wiki Edits: 0

Traction Problems

Ok guys I need some help with traction. I have a suzuki samurai with a 500hp motor setup for 1/4mile and street. I just cant get the thing to hook up. I cant even open the secondaries as the tires just roast at 1/2 throttle. Originally I built this motor for Nitrous but at the moment I dont think this jeep needs it. The car pretty much launches straight, it doesnt seem to squat or raise, I added 300 lbs to the rear and the front tires still wont come off the ground. what types of tricks or methods can you guys suggest to help me hook up? I dont want to add weight, thats why I built one of these ugly jeeps was to do something light. Here is my setup. Im not sure if I need wider tires or a different suspension or lower stall........

1800lbs
Ford 9" 3.89:1 with Detroit locker
C-4 with 3500 stall
4-link suspension
13"wide 28"tall Micky ET-Streets

The bottom link is parallel with the ground and the top link front is up at about 30 degrees.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Wiki Edits: 3

Tuning

well H'mm lets try the converter 1st..Sounds like the launch RPM is way to high..See if that helps..

Rule of thumb is that the heavier the car the more RPM to launch it..Soo in a lite car we use less launch RPM

Hope you have a good cage..harness and wheelie bars..ya gonna need em when it does hook up..

Just change one thing at a time to see the effect of that change..

Once we get the RPM down and that working them we can take a look at the suspension setup..

That setup looks like one that is used in a heavy full bodied car..

Now this sort of thing can be expected in a new car..we try and get it right in the first place..but then we need to do the tuning to get it just right..

Good luck.. You are way ahead of a lot of people..!!
Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO

If you can't pull air at the front, even with extra weight at the rear, you obviously have too much of the total weight over the front end for the tires you're running.

So, I'd recommend forgetting about using a street/strip tire. With the proper tires, you should be in a position to start worrying about the rest of your setup.

And, with those link angles, your car WILL squat.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:31 PM

Did you say your FRONT links are up 30 degrees on the top bar? As in pointing up in the air from back to front?

I'd change that.

You can also raise the front links on the bottom bars about 5 degrees for a quicker, harder bite. At least that's what we do with our dirt car. I don't have a lot of experience on pavement.

Post pictures of your wheelie when you do get it to hook :-)

Later...

Wally
Old 11-03-2004, 06:47 PM
brains

One of you guys said that I had too much weight in the front of the car. Center to center the wheel base is 79 inches, logic would seem that I had more weight closer to the rear then most cars. I added 450lbs to the rear, it made no difference what so ever. Same thing.

As for the stall, the converter is really a 4200stall but thats for a 3600lb car. my car is so lite it only flashes around 3100 and foot brakes 3500

Also billy you said with the proper tires, Im assuming you feel I have the wrong size now. what size should I run? wider or smaller.. The size was based on running mid 9's in the quarter. I just dont understand what im doing wrong. I spent so much time to make it right the first time.
last time I was at the drag strip some rice grinder could not of had more then 8" slicks running in the 9.80's.. but I can tell you now my car doesnt even feel like it will make 10's, just no way to hook up. I guess Im going to try the angles and see what happens...

thanks for all the replys
Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO

Not the wrong SIZE tire, but the wrong TYPE. Your tire is intended for BOTH street and strip. That means the design was compromised. (And I'm not saying the manufacturer did anything wrong. There's a strong demand for a tire that can be used on both the street and strip, but it must be recognized that street mileage won't be as good as a "normal" tire and dragstrip traction won't be as good as a wrinkle-wall. But, dragstrip traction will be better than a normal tire and mileage will be better than a wrinkle-wall. In short, it's a compromise.)

With that wheelbase and a dragstrip tire, that car should behave like one of those little clown cars the Shriners drive in parades.

Having said all that, I still can't help but think that something is drastically wrong. Wish I could see the car and exactly where you're putting all that weight.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in